Yuki Kajiura Live VOL 15 ~ The Junctions of Fiction 2019 ~ (+ Soundtrack Special, Asia Tour -HK,SG,TW-)

Super late to the onion listening party but I'm here!
Ooooft that Keiko Demon Slayer...

I like Joelle quite a lot. But a few songs she took over made me miss WAKANA.
Not because I don't like Joelle's voice, technique or delivery. But more because I used to really dig the WAKANA, YURIKO, KEIKO, KAORI line up because all 4 of them are so different from each other and they each had their territories/roles.
Wakana had a metallic tone like a chime (especially her new voice where it got more nasally and ringy) - so she did best at tragic tracks and maining tracks where her main melody blends into the harmonies.
Yuriko had a delicate classical operatic tone so she's there to make grand tracks grander, and mains the tracks that call for some fragility.
Keiko's sound has a soothing wooden tone - so she gets all the harmonies and makes all the tracks meaty. Her best main tracks are all the warm ones.
Kaori had the young "pop" sound - so she does well in the upbeat cheeky tracks.

To me, it was because the timbre of the original FJ live 4 were in such separate places on the spectrum that made them sound special when they're together as a quartet.

Now with Joelle here, she's really versatile. But her sound is like the middle ground of KEIKO, WAKANA, and KAORI.
She's taken the main vocals of all 3 girls on many of the tracks but too often I find myself trying to figure out "Is this Keiko or is it Joelle sounding like Keiko?". The only lines I properly identify her is where she's replaced WAKANA - who's obviously not there.

She hasn't quite replaced WAKANA or defined her role in the group yet - apart from "she sings the English" - which would be a shame and really un-musical if that's what her role ends up being.

Once again, not hating on Joelle's skill or delivery - she sounds bloody amazing. I just think WAKANA, complete with her issues, was a more unique and defined piece of the FJ live quartet. Joelle simply hasn't become that in her own way yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuki Kajiura live #15 Moonlight Melody ( Princess Principal ) The Junctions of Fiction

Wow this sounds phenomenal! I was not a fan of the original Moonlight Melody because of the singer, but this version really redeems it in my eyes. I
love when Yuki re-envisions the live versions of songs from the studio versions. It happens so often, since she uses so many different singers.
Wow a great find! Am I late to the party or was there more video footage than I thought for Vol 15

Wow a great find! Am I late to the party or was there more video footage than I thought for Vol 15
It was posted in the PriPri thread, but it makes sense to also post it here, hue. It'll probably be the only video from Vol 15. It was used to promote the PriPri concert.
She hasn't quite replaced WAKANA or defined her role in the group yet - apart from "she sings the English" - which would be a shame and really un-musical if that's what her role ends up being.
She's done more than sing English songs tho. She's lead Japanese and kajiurago tracks. And there's no similarity to her and Keiko's singing hue. Their singing styles and timbre are very different.

https://fictionjunctionstation.com/contents/272708

Yuki Kajiura Live vol.#15 and vol.#14 items for online sale [Sales Period] October 10 (Thursday) 12:00 to October 31 (Thursday) 23:59.

I'm assuming that it's shipping to a Japanese address only so that one would need to use a service like fromjapan.co.jp or Tenso or a friend in Japan to get goods from overseas.

In a way I kinda agree with @AKWirru's point about Joelle. She's a much better live singer than Wakana, but for the most part when she sings the english songs she sings them the way a soloist would - she's in her own groove and does not perfectly blend with the harmonies. There are quite a few parts where Yuriko/Kaori/Keiko struggled to match Joelle's singing because she's getting too into it and seemingly forget that she's singing as a group. But maybe that's just me feeling that way lol.

Not like Keiko was really blending with Kalafina in the later concerts that I've seen clips of. And she wasn't even the lead there, lol.

Anyhuuuuuuu... I need a mostly brand new setlist for lives.

But at least in Keiko's case she's still (idk how to properly word it) keep the exact same measurement as both Wakana and Hikaru? And it's only in their 10th anniv live tbh which was kinda understandable because she was overly emotional as it's their last big concert together (who wouldn't knowing she was going to leave and them as a group was going to an end). Maybe I'm just a Keiko apologist but circumstances matter, grunty kun :>

v( ' ')v

We can wait for some home video live release with Joelle.
But first, how about some Joelle in new OST? Since we're never getting LORD...
Then again, doubt she'd introduce her in Pripri, or Fate, or SAO so she's kinda out of luck...

But at least in Keiko's case she's still (idk how to properly word it) keep the exact same measurement as both Wakana and Hikaru? And it's only in their 10th anniv live tbh which was kinda understandable because she was overly emotional as it's their last big concert together (who wouldn't knowing she was going to leave and them as a group was going to an end). Maybe I'm just a Keiko apologist but circumstances matter, grunty kun :>

Yeah I've always chalked up keikos vocal 'issues' in the 10th anni live to her being very obviously super emotional. In that last Alleluia performance she is very visibly on ther verge of completely breaking down lol but she's forcing the biggest smile it was really sad for me to watch tbh. But then again were just diehard keiko stans lol

Although Joelle wouldn't be my first choice, I definitely consider her an improvement over Wakana. Sorry, I know there are tons of loyal Wakana fans, and that's great -- I have just never, ever, heard what is supposed to be so remarkable about her voice. To me it sounds flat and nasally. Maybe there is something wrong with my hearing, because I see endless comments on youtube and this forum about her angelic voice and I literally cannot hear it, even though I possess all the Kalafina albums, singles, and all FictionJunction albums, both live and studio. Maybe it's opinion or maybe there is literally something wrong with my ear. (At least she's always in key, though. I do also like her falsetto or however you'd describe her high key singing, like in Liminality). Joelle has much more depth & character to her voice. Generally I prefer the guest singers -- Eri Ito, REMI, Yuri Kasahara, and the unmatched Hanae Tomaru. Seriously, if those 4 replaced all the members of FictionJunction I would probably ruin a pair of my pants instantly.

Although Joelle wouldn't be my first choice, I definitely consider her an improvement over Wakana. Sorry, I know there are tons of loyal Wakana fans, and that's great -- I have just never, ever, heard what is supposed to be so remarkable about her voice. To me it sounds flat and nasally. Maybe there is something wrong with my hearing, because I see endless comments on youtube and this forum about her angelic voice and I literally cannot hear it, even though I possess all the Kalafina albums, singles, and all FictionJunction albums, both live and studio. Maybe it's opinion or maybe there is literally something wrong with my ear. (At least she's always in key, though. I do also like her falsetto or however you'd describe her high key singing, like in Liminality). Joelle has much more depth & character to her voice. Generally I prefer the guest singers -- Eri Ito, REMI, Yuri Kasahara, and the unmatched Hanae Tomaru. Seriously, if those 4 replaced all the members of FictionJunction I would probably ruin a pair of my pants instantly.

Ηer voice was in the best shape in Seventh ' Heaven album, Red Moon, Hikari no Yukue, and YK live vol 2, as well as in sekai satoyama (land of water) and pandora hearts.

To me pre 2011 Wakana> Joelle
but current Wakana< Joelle
But nah I personally love keiko and kaoris voices too much, ive never been too attached to the guest vocalists. I also dont think all 4 of them would have as fitting a combination of voices as wakana, yuriko, keiko and kaori had in their prime.

I have just never, ever, heard what is supposed to be so remarkable about her voice. To me it sounds flat and nasally. Maybe there is something wrong with my hearing, because I see endless comments on youtube and this forum about her angelic voice and I literally cannot hear it, even though I possess all the Kalafina albums, singles, and all FictionJunction albums, both live and studio. Maybe it's opinion or maybe there is literally something wrong with my ear.
Same, kek. Well, at least for 2011+ Wakana. Before that she was my favorite. Strong chest voice, and beautiful head voice. Lovely combination.

(At least she's always in key, though. I do also like her falsetto or however you'd describe her high key singing, like in Liminality).
In Liminality she used head voice. After a while she traded it for falsetto, and only used head voice in very few songs. Why? beats me, hue.

Generally I prefer the guest singers -- Eri Ito, REMI, Yuri Kasahara, and the unmatched Hanae Tomaru. Seriously, if those 4 replaced all the members of FictionJunction I would probably ruin a pair of my pants instantly.
I would KILL for a concert with them + Yuriko. But I still want FJ to remain, hue.

I also dont think all 4 of them would have as fitting a combination of voices as wakana, yuriko, keiko and kaori had in their prime.
I disagree. Hanae's buttery smooth voice can blend in with anything. Yuriko does that for a living. Remi is Hanae light, and fits with everything. Kasahara can sing lighter than how she usually sings with Kajiura (she's lovely in her solo album). Eri (muh fave) blends very well with other singers from musicals.
Plus, I'm sure all of them have sung in choirs.

Back