http://illusion-85.livejournal.com/119376.html
<3 thank you!!! I can delete it if you want this post removed T_T

Kajiura and Kara no Kyoukai chapter 1
illusion_85
5/25/08 07:26 pm

I worked out how to extract the OST and booklet from the [Q-R] release of Kara no Kyoukai chapter 1 (thanks to Nyaa Torrents ^^), and found that this particular Kajiura composition is a little different from usual. First of all, the CD is released alongside the limited edition of the DVD, and contains all the music/sound effects featured in the first chapter of this series only. Also, none of the 18 tracks have titles, they are just called M01, M02, M03a+b, etc. I was a bit curious about it, so I checked Kajiura's blog, and thankfully she wrote a long, detailed explanation of the release. <3

Because I have some time, and am a hopeless Kajiura fan, here's a rough translation of some of what she wrote:

This CD was recorded in the exact order the BGM was played during the show. It includes everything, even short sound effect pieces which I'm not sure you can call Music. In a certain sense, I guess it carries the nuance of a production release. I composed Kara no Kyoukai's BGM to perfectly match the scenes, so it also includes short pieces which are only seconds long. Chapter 1 has a total of 18 tracks.

Normally, when a CD is released separately, there's no way all the pieces can fit on one or two CDs, so it's common for a number of pieces to get cut in the release. So to release a CD like this, where all the pieces are included on the CD, is probably a first for me personally. This time, as a challenge I did not even give the pieces titles, I recorded them "as M-number, just as they were when I composed them, in the order they were used". The reason why occasionally, one number is broken up, like M08a, M08b, or two pieces are stuck together like M12+13, is usually (though not always) because composers thought it would be better to break up a piece when it was originally supposed to be one piece as arranged, or it would be better to put two pieces together to keep the music going. It's in a form where you can probably catch a glimpse of the conflicts(?) at the point of production, at that time.

Especially for chapter 1, with M01 "Shiki's Theme", by changing the melody, it appears here and there. Because this melody is treated as the main theme for the whole production, it's a piece that's going to be used repeatedly in the upcoming chapters. There are also these sort of pieces.

Kara no Kyoukai's BGM has the concept of "as much as possible, don't make the melody loud", and [the show] has a lot of complicated dialogue, so in any case the music shouldn't interfere with the dialogue + picture. In chapter 1, there are only a few places where the music is really prominent, in the other scenes it fills in where sound is absent, and it's a composition where I thought, this is probably the first time where I had to make so few tracks in the soundtrack of each chapter. In that sense, to present an "entire composition" in this form is a bit exciting for me as a composer (laugh). But, because it's released with the DVD, more than thinking how each piece is individually, it conveys the "mood/atmosphere of the music" through the entire production, and in that way I think it's in an extremely interesting form.

That's pretty much the important bits. She writes a bit more about the CD recording technicalities (5.1ch vs. 2ch), and recommends the show, etc., but am too tired to translate anymore, lol. XD There might also be some small errors in translation, feel free to correct me if you spot any.

I hesitated to poast it but...I needed the permission, it's not my forum, I couldn't do as I wish...HOWEVERRR kerahna-chan can x3
:XD:

Hi hi!

I'm the owner of the LJ you linked - the person who translated the blog entry above - and I have no problems with you reposting it here (as long as you link back/credit, which you did ^^). Glad it was useful to you guys, I'll try and translate some more of Kajiura's blog entries if I have the time.

Nice to meet you all! ^^

ahhh thank you illusion for your forgiveness!!! and thank you even more for translating :aww: :aww: :aww: :bow: :bow: we are all obsessive fangirls who want to know what she's saying :XD:

ROFL i'm not a gurl !
Kerahna said:
we are all obsessive fangirls who want to know what she's saying
this was the description of our boss, kerahna !

heyy hello illusion !! welcome to tha forum x)
Thank you so much for your translations !!!!! ^o^
:sohappy: waaa more of Kajiura's blog entries ^w^ :sohappy:

soo tell us more about youuu, where do yyou come from ? x3
are you from japan ? xD

Zuiyon said:
heyy hello illusion !! welcome to tha forum x)
Thank you so much for your translations !!!!! ^o^
:sohappy: waaa more of Kajiura's blog entries ^w^ :sohappy:

soo tell us more about youuu, where do yyou come from ? x3
are you from japan ? xD

No problem, glad to share the Kajiura love. ^^

I'm from Australia, but I've studied Japanese for many years now. A couple of years ago, I spent a semester abroad there and should be going there to work soon. ^^ My Japanese is far from perfect, so I gotta keep practicing! ;)

I've been a diehard Kajiura fan since she first started flourishing after working on Noir, and last year I got the amazing opportunity of interviewing her when she came down here for the Eminence concert! :D She's a totally awesome person, and her English (pronounciation) is pretty good!

Illusion said:
I got the amazing opportunity of interviewing her when she came down here for the Eminence concert!

What??! :omgwtf: You interviewed her???????? *faints*

PLEASE give us the interview!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Moreover discribe Your expirience!! onegai!!

Are you the one who was asking the question at the video?

george1234 said:
Illusion said:
I got the amazing opportunity of interviewing her when she came down here for the Eminence concert!

What??! :omgwtf: You interviewed her???????? *faints*

PLEASE give us the interview!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Moreover discribe Your expirience!! onegai!!

Are you the one who was asking the question at the video?

No, that was one of the guys who works for Eminence. (Plus, I am female =P) My interview wasn't recorded, it was done the day before privately (well, sort of... Eminence staff and interpreter were around), just before she held her public autograph session at Kinokuniya in Sydney.

The interview was for a free catalogue magazine for Madman (anime distributor here), so I'll try and scan in the page later. ^^ I'm heading home now, so I'll post more about my experience later as well!

ZOMFG :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :comeback: :comeback: :wai: :wai:

ZOOH MY FAWKIN GAWWWDDDDD
wtf you you spoke to YUUUUUKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ??? O___________________O
OMG OMG OMG i'm becoming craaazy
T___________T I...I... :comeback:
:cry: you're sooooo lcukyyyy !!! >___<

Did you take any photos ? O_o >__< >__<
Did you shake her hand ? rofl xD
HOw was shee how was sheee ? :omgwtf:
Did you get an autograph ??!!?
I want thaaa scaan of tha magazine xDXDXDXDXDXD
HEY do you work for a magazine ? :o
>__< you saw her in private gyaaahhh !!!! :omgwtf: :omgwtf:

waaaaw a freee catalogue, a free interview of YUKI O____O
omg omg omg have to go study now, my first part of my exams begins nowww o_o

woot you're a girl xD one more ! yatta xD
from australia ? :o as infinityEx x) this baka who wasn't going to eminence !!! :twitch:
=P
wahhh you'll work in japan, you'll be able to buy all Yuki CD you want >_<
so luckyy T_T

Zuiyon said:
ZOMFG :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :omgwtf: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :comeback: :comeback: :wai: :wai:

ZOOH MY FAWKIN GAWWWDDDDD
wtf you you spoke to YUUUUUKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ??? O___________________O
OMG OMG OMG i'm becoming craaazy
T___________T I...I... :comeback:
:cry: you're sooooo lcukyyyy !!! >___<

Did you take any photos ? O_o >__< >__<
Did you shake her hand ? rofl xD
HOw was shee how was sheee ? :omgwtf:
Did you get an autograph ??!!?
I want thaaa scaan of tha magazine xDXDXDXDXDXD
HEY do you work for a magazine ? :o
>__< you saw her in private gyaaahhh !!!! :omgwtf: :omgwtf:

waaaaw a freee catalogue, a free interview of YUKI O____O
omg omg omg have to go study now, my first part of my exams begins nowww o_o

I agree with him! :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:

Also! WEEEEEEELLLLLLLCOOOOOME TO CPMe! Our modest community where we adore and worship Yuki-megami! :dote: :dote:

Yes, I was able to take a photo with her (and my friend took one too), but during the actual concert photos weren't allowed. There are some official concert photos floating around though. ^^
Haha yes, she very kindly autographed a couple of CDs for me. ^.^ And also an Eminence poster, which the Eminence ensemble also signed. I was a very happy girl that weekend! XD

I don't work for a magazine, but I know one of the guys who works at Madman and he asked me to do the interview when their original freelance guy pulled out. I actually don't live in Sydney, so I was flying over from the other side of Australia to go to this concert, so it was a real blessing I was given this opportunity too! ^^

I was actually slightly late for the interview as I just arrived in Sydney that morning and was a complete n00b with the train lines and stuff. Worst of all they were doing track work that weekend so some lines were closed. >< But it all turned out ok!

Excerpt from my blog:

Saturday, 17th Nov 2007
At this point, we reach Kajiura who is sitting shielded by the shelves of children's books, next to the interpreter and with a handful of other Eminence staff around. She stands up to shake my hand and I apologise profusely for being late and we do the standard introductions/bowing. ^^ I'm close to being overcome with excitement and nerves, I'm pretty sure my hand was shaking as I pulled out the interview questions. ^^;; Since we have been conversing in Japanese the whole time so far, the interpreter (Ikeda) asks me if I even need her for the interview (lol ^^;;). But I was like yes please, because I'm not confident I can do some of the questions in Japanese. So she smiles and nods and was like, "ok we'll just do it in a mix of Japanese and English then", to which I happily agreed.

So I asked the questions I had been given prior, and Jo helped me transcribe the responses. In terms of pronunciation, Kajiura's English is actually really good. There were some questions she had to look to the interpreter for clarification, but most of the time she understood, which I found really impressive. She mostly responded in Japanese, but she did throw in the occasional English here and there. ^^

After we had finished with the interview, I asked her to autograph a couple of CDs I had brought over, to which she happily obliged. We also got a photo with her. ^_^V As she was signing my stuff, I asked her how long she was in Sydney for and if it was her first time. She replied she was only going to be there till the 20th (Tues), so unfortunately she wouldn't have time to do any sightseeing. When she said it was her first time in Sydney, Jo pointed to me and said "same with her." Kajiura looked at me questioningly, so I told her that I was actually from Perth and came to Sydney to see her. She then said, "kouei desu." ("I'm honored")! I was like, "no no, I'm the one that's honored!" Hehehe. ^_____^ She then asked me how long the flight from Perth was, and I told her it was around 4 hours, to which she was like wow, long time. I wanted to reply that it was totally worth it, but my mind didn't work fast enough to convert it into Japanese, so I lost the moment and just smiled/nodded instead. xD

We wrapped it up as she had to move onto the public autograph session.

Sunday, 18th Nov 2007
Concert was awesome, the pieces (mostly Kajiura ones) were performed by an ensemble of around 10 musicians, all very talented. The founding director, Hiroaki Yura, playing the violin was just <3. Sounded so beautiful. ^^ Concert went for around 2 hours, with a Q&A session with Kajiura at the end (where the audience could give the MC questions to ask her). The funniest one was when there was a question like "out of all the collaborations you have done, which is your favorite?", and there was a slight language misconception and Kajiura kept saying she'd never "collaborated" with anyone before. (I think the word must have a more defined meaning in Japanese). Hiro tried to translate/explain that they were just asking about people she had worked with, but Kajiura kept insisting she'd never collaborated with anyone. Finally, Hiro just translated her response to the audience as "she doesn't have a favorite" to which everyone laughed. LOL! XD

Afterwards there was a signing session with the musicians AND Kajiura. Yay! ^^ Happily went to line up to get those Eminence posters/leaflets signed, and thanks to some new friends Jo picked up earlier in the night (fufufu ;)), we were able to jump to the start of the line. Got all the musicians to autograph the poster, and Kajiura was at the end. I wondered if she would remember me. When I got to her I said, "Konban wa. Otsukaresamadeshita." ("Good evening. Good work out there today."), and she responded "Ah! Konban wa.", and remembered me! o^_^o As she was signing my stuff, she said "thank you for yesterday," and I was like "no no, I should be the one saying thank you!" *smileblush* I then thanked her for the autographs, gave her some TimTams+note and told her to enjoy the rest of her trip. She was like, "thank you," and then it was time to move on. ^^

I haven't gotten around to scanning the magazine, I'll try and do it this weekend.

Its just a so AMAZING experience!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: . I wish I could be here or at least meet her once in my short life. :desksweat: :aww:

"We also got a photo with her"
Showww ? xD
"she doesn't have a favorite" rofl :XD:

heyy you're so lucky, two times yuki signed something for youu >_< !!

hey that's really easy to read for meh o_o

Some photos (click for larger)

One of the CDs she signed for me:
th_20071124-Autographedstuff3.jpg

The poster signed by her and the Eminence ensemble:
th_20071124-Autographedstuff.jpg

The signing line at the concert, Kajiura is at the far end (not taken by me):
th_20071118-EminenceMusicians7.jpg

Back