What are some of your favourite Kajiura/utahime live performances?

Saber

I like Yuki
I've been rewatching Kalafina's live BDs only realise what an absolute gem the Red Moon 2010 LIVE BD is. All 3 Kalafina members were in top condition, the audio mixing is excellent, the lighting and camerawork is practically perfect. Highlights were Red Moon (obviously), ARIA, progressive and Kyrie.

In terms of individual performances:
Wakana - Mizu no Akashi (FJ vol. 4) and Kimi ga Hikari (Seventh Heaven DVD)
Keiko - Nohara (FJ vol. 11) and Kaze no Machi e (FJ vol. 9)
Hikaru - ARIA (Red Moon 2010) and Destination Unknown (After Eden 2011)
Kaori - Hanamori to Oka (FJ vol. 11) and Everytime you kissed me (FJ vol. 9)
Yuriko - Himitsu (audio only, forget where this live was recorded from), Materialize (2008-2010 Live CD) and every Everlasting Song live opening
Yuuka - Madlax Mix and Yorokobi (vol. 11)
Joelle - A song of storm and fire (last year's online studio live)
REMI - Heigen (vol. 15)
Tomaru Hanae - Mezame (vol. 9)
Itou Eri - Contractor (vol. 10)

As a group:
Kalafina - believe acoustic ver. (Live no. 9), Red Moon (2010), Hikari no Senritsu (Consolation 2013), Musunde Hiraku (FotW live 2014)
FictionJunction - Contractor (vol. 10), Parallel Hearts (vol. 4), absolute configuration (vol. 11), everlasting song (vol. 4)

Linking some of these here because they absolutely deserve a rewatch <3
Kalafina - believe acoustic ver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYcg7iyffg

Keiko - Nohara https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6bXkMDh6iE

Wakana - Mizu no Akashi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnZN1ltnPGk

Hikaru - ARIA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6bKYP9C8E

Yuuka - Madlax MIX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0cvI8z8zd8

Kaori - Fake wings vol.2 is a favorite of mine. Kaori's voice is such a good fit for the song and the arrangement here is beautiful.

I really like Voices Singing Silently from vol. 15. That live percussion and Eri's solo performance put this far and above the version we heard in the 2013 live collection. Even Rie's flute improv was better.

Joelle: LORD main theme, Fiction, Vanity and Forest from vol 15, Shadows and fog (I even prefer her from Remi's live)
Yuriko: The main theme of petit cossete, Himitsu, Her parts in Materialise!, Paradigm.
Keiko: I swear (forgot which live hue), Nohara... not much to pick from hue.
Kaori: Dreamscape from vol 02 is fantastic. I prefer it to the original recording. Key of the twilight and Awake from vol 5. Hanamori no Oka from vol 11.
Wakana: vanity and liminality from vol 02.
Yuuka: Aikoi, Nostalgia, Yorokobi, Eleanore
Eri Ito: All from vol 02, Hepatica, I talk to the rain
Hanae Tomaru: Lotus, Himeboshi, Satoyama main theme
Yuri Kasahara: Salva nos
Remi: Rainbow, Heigen, A farewell song, She has to overcome her fear.
Kalafina: Love come down and Mata kaze ga from premium live, 4 tracks from the SH live DVD, Red moon.

I haven't watched my Red Moon DVD in so long but from what I remember I don't find the live to be very pleasing to the eyes because of the lighting made them look yellow, as in as if they're using old lightbulbs. The only Kalafina live with top notch production value is imo the Arena 2016 live.

The live I watched the most and I find to be truly enjoyable is Live vol.4 part I, the FictionJunction Yuuka part. All songs performed there are way better than in their original CD version. I also prefer Mezame from live vol.4 part II to any other Mezame lives, even the one with Hanae in live vol.9. Also it's Nozaki on drums.

If we're talking about each vocalists' best (according to my personal taste):

Wakana: i really liked vanity from live vol.2 and forest from the best of Yuki Kajiura live 2008-2010. I also liked voyagers live but it was the live chorus that made it really good.
Yuriko: Himitsu from live vol.9 day 1, the main theme of petit Cossette and canta per me from live vol.2
Keiko: I swear from the live vol.7 bootleg actually lol the one from live vol.9 is the close second, maybe tomorrow from live vol.9 (she had the warmest and most beautiful tone on the opening and ending stanzas there), Alleluia from arena live 2016 (Wakana and Hikaru were just okay), and cynical world from live vol.5 (the best of Yuki Kajiura live 2008-2010)
Kaori: Hanamori no Oka from live vol.4 part II (live vol.11 sux, there I said it), fake wings from live vol.2
Joelle: alone from that FJS talk and live and moonlight melody from that pripri live (the one stanza she soloed was the best part of the whole song). maybe I should also mention liminality but I'm still not the biggest fan of that song lol. she sounded great there though.
Yuuka: aikoi, silly go round, and Yorokobi from live vol.4 part I
Kalafina: the DVD content of Red Moon LE DVD (storia, Lacrimosa, progressive, and Hikari no Senritsu). Yes these also had Nozaki on drums so they sounded better. This Hikari no Senritsu is imho the only good Hikari no Senritsu live, the other live sux even with the added strings. honorable mentions are Hoshi no Utai from Arena Live 2016, usumurasaki from far on the water live, fantasia from Red Live 2015, Kyrie from Red Moon live 2010. anyone who says all Kalafina songs sounded better lives are deluding themselves. very few some are better, most are not.

Duran Shoukan from live vol.9 was phenomenal. godsibb and a song of storm and fire from live vol.2 were also really good.

Wakana: Liminality (vol.2), Hikari furu (10th anniversary) and Lacrimosa (9+one)

Hikaru: Mata kaze ga tsuyoku natta (Red moon 2010), Progressive (10th anniversary) and Destination unknown (After Eden 2011)

Keiko: Nohara (vol.11), The main theme of kimetsu no yaiba (vol.15) and Alleluia (Budokan 2016)

Yuriko: Canta per me (vol.1 reprise), Salva nos (vol.4) and He comes back again and again (vol.15)

Kaori: Hanamori no oka (vol.11), Fake wings (vol.2) and Tsubasa (vol.1 reprise)

Joelle: Forest (vol.15), I talk to the rain and vanity(vol.1 reprise)

My contribution to this thread...

Keiko: Houseki (vol. 4) & canta per me (reprise) & Kimi ga hikari ni kaete iku (Type Moon)
Yuriko: liminality (reprise) & the main theme of Petit Cossette (vol. 2)
Hikaru: destination unknown (the best blue) & Hoshi no uta (Arena)
Joelle: the world & vanity (reprise both)
Kaori: Michiyuki (vol. 4) & fake wings (vol. 2)
Wakana: vanity (vol. 2) & red moon (8th anniversary CD)
Yuuka: cazador del amor (vol. 11 day 1) & nowhere (vol. 11 day 2) & I'm here (vol. 11 day 1)

FictionJunction: stone cold (vol. 11 -mostly due to how energetic they where) & credens justitiam (vol. 11) & mo hitotsu mawashite (PriPri live) ~ best live: YK vol. 2
Kalafina: magnolia (after eden) & tsuioku (Arena) ~ best live: After Eden & Arena live

Remi: rainbow main theme (vol. 10) & petals and butterfly (vol. 15)
Hanae: Duran Shoukan (vol. 9)
Eri: I talk to the rain (vol. 15) & godssib (vol. 2)
Yuri: point zero (vol. 10)

Well, let's see. Kalafina: 10th anni for sure, the Arena yes Tsuioku is everything, also I liked the 9+1 concert. It had a lot of different songs that they had never sang before live, at least that we saw. Also in terms of me seeing them, Anime Boston in 2009 with Kajiura on keyboard for Gloria. My mind was blown. Also Anime Chicago since they performed Obbligato, my fave song by them. I thought they all were awesome, despite the crappy acoustics.

FJ: Key of the Twilight (I LOVE Konnos violin solo part, he is just so damn talented) and Fake Wings by Joelle in vol 1 reprise. I also liked her in Mezame.
Godsibb vol1 reprise for all of them
Dreamscape also by Kaori, any performance of it.
Nohara: Keiko vol 11, was just beautiful. I always imagine her with a green dress singing this song. Also for Keiko, The World and cynical world. I love her English. The World especially.
Wakana in the Kala 10th anni for lirica, Natsu no Ringo, serenato, and Hikari furu, because they were all wearing wedding dresses. And Alleluia acoustic when they had kimonos.
Yuriko: moonlight melody in Princess Principal. She is great and is through that whole live. and canta per me Vol 1.
Kaori: calling, I wish they would do this song more often. I mean, it is mostly her. I forget which live it was in.
Ring your song vol 4? When they all start singing after Eri. I also love Eri's ahhh parts that they added for the lives. This song makes me cry every single time.
Oh, and I love L.A. Live from the FJ 2008-2010 Best. I love the added violin so much, I wish it was in the original.

I wish there were more performances of Gaika and Obbligato, when Wakana was still in the groups. They only sang Obbligato once in a recorded live. And it wasn't that good. Only because they sang about 5 high paced songs before it. It will be interesting to hear Joelle sing Gaika. If it is ever recorded.

Last edited:
I have so many that it would be kinda difficult. But i have mostly seen from Vol 2, 4, 9 and 11 and from there I would say the following
vol 2: vanity, dreamscape, liminality, in the land of twilight, under the moon, godsibb, canta per me
4: hanamori no oka, houseki, parallel hearts, michiyuki
9: sweet song, maybe tomorrow, stone cold, everytime you kissed me
11: gaika, kimi ga ita monogatari
There are so many more. I mostly like Yukis Lives and I am happy if i can find them on youtube

Back