Wakana solo career

How were the sales for the single anyways? I imagine they were decent considering she already had an established fanbase.

How were the sales for the single anyways? I imagine they were decent considering she already had an established fanbase.

#36th on Oricon Weekly ranking on its first week. Don't know the exact number of sales though

52 mins of just Wakana?

hmm

Yeah, I also prefer listening to sopranos in small dosages, their voices and high notes. tender to get annoying after let's say 3 tracks or so.

Don't get me wrong I tend to enjoy Wakana's vocals now and then.

Also I didn't like her singles that much, but I'll admit the PC was beautiful and actually enjoyed it.

But I wish her the best with he solo career none the less.

Nothing from Toki wo or Tsubasa sounded like a "soprano" though. It was all quite low.
But I only heard the radio clips to be fair.

Edit:
Some live appearance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cRMfYZxTg

TBH she sounds much better than in the CD version. Either she got good at the song or someone finally started working studio magic on her voice. GJ. Too bad about the album version lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow good job Wakana, that performance was better than any of her live performances before as Kalafina when they were singing their own songs. Still too honky and very throaty but overall great improvement in pitch. The song being not too hard and has much more breathing space might also contribute to the factor but glad to see Wakana actually improving as a soloist.

Btw @wat11 52 minutes of Wakana's voice only is pretty much far on the water album :p hopefully some of the album track would be at least as good as Tsubasa.

There are still some things that I dislike (mostly the vibrato), but overall is good and listenable.

Either she got good at the song or someone finally started working studio magic on her voice. GJ. Too bad about the album version lol.
It's from a TV show, so they wouldn't waste time/money on that, r-r-right?

Yeah, I also prefer listening to sopranos in small dosages, their voices and high notes. tender to get annoying after let's say 3 tracks or so.
I think I know what you mean. Some sopranos sound really shrill when singing high notes (Wakana), and that can be really annoying for the ears. It really depends on how well trained the singer is though. Some singers don't have that shrillness at all.

It's from a TV show, so they wouldn't waste time/money on that, r-r-right?
I guess it depends how much someone cared, lol? I mean, all we know is how she used to sound in lives regularly. This is quite the improvement out of nowhere - even compared to the released Tsubasa live (from September/October?) and especially the painful studio version of this same song. Quite perplexing, eh? They should replace the vocals in the studio version with these for the upcoming album, lol.

Regardless, I'm not even mad. On the contrary, I'm very happy for her that she had a performance this good on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's indeed much, much better than the single version. Doesn't even compare. GJ Wakana!

I'm not surprised though. She got the hang of it in the single too, after a minute or so. So it really must be the producer's fault...

I guess it depends how much someone cared, lol? I mean, all we know is how she used to sound in lives regularly. This is quite the improvement out of nowhere - even compared to the released Tsubasa live (from September/October?) and especially the painful studio version of this same song. Quite perplexing, eh? They should replace the vocals in the studio version with these for the upcoming album, lol.

Regardless, I'm not even mad. On the contrary, I'm very happy for her that she had a performance this good on TV.

I kind of want to put a good faith in Wakana because as far as I remember, she was always decent when she wasn't singing Kajiura songs :p she was good on almost every covers she did as Kalafina. The Utage performances almost always had her singing the melody for like 80% of the songs and she was good singing those songs.

Maybe the reason why Wakana couldn't show her true potential was always Kajiura songs lmao and the reason why she quit Kajiura was because she knows and feels it in her heart.

The fact that the studio version of Toki wo Koeru was bad could probably because the production was too rushed and the studio engineer was too lazy to pitch correct her vocals... Or maybe Wakana wasn't really feeling it when she recorded the song.

That doesn't eliminate the fact that some tv shows did actually pitch correct/autotuned some of the singers' performances and this tv performance could be edited... Well I'm just trying to be positive for once, hwhwhwhw.

Wow im impressed 😊 i dont know but there seems to not be just her voice in these songs, kinda as if she does front and backing vocals at same time, her voice is more full and more low pitch than back at kalafina, closer to her 2008-2010 self. I havent listened to the single yet but im not sure even studio magic could improve her voice so much.

Last edited:
Tsubasa sounds better than the live version from the single.

Maybe the reason why Wakana couldn't show her true potential was always Kajiura songs lmao and the reason why she quit Kajiura was because she knows and feels it in her heart.
Could be, though they wouldn't be if she was properly trained and had good technique hue.

Anyways, I'll give Wakana the benefit of the doubt and assume she did give a good, unedited performance.

Wow im impressed 😊 i dont know but there seems to not be just her voice in these songs, kinda as if she does front and backing vocals at same time, her voice is more full and more low pitch than back at kalafina, closer to her 2008-2010 self. I havent listened to the single yet but im not sure even studio magic could improve her voice so much.
Off topic but time for a a funneh classic:
https://youtu.be/DbVpzDOrWxw?t=28
Man I miss MADtv.

That cover of Winter Dust or whatever it’s called was AMAZING. I’m starting to hear seventh heaven era WAKANA again. I miss and love her lower register (i.e. Kizuato “...Kurenai ni koboreochite...”). Her voice sounds more broad when she sings lower (naturally) and it doesn’t sound as honky tonky. While I do appreciate her higher register vocals, I think the constant singing in that range for 10 years has led to this annoying sound we hear. Her use of her headvoice has also depleted in quality over the years, as we can hear from “where the lights are (live version)” from 2013, being very thin and fragile.

Yes WAKANA yes! Proud of her.

Im not going to lie though Wakana’s vocals are pretty boring on their own in my opinion. Never was a fan of her “Mizu no Akashi” cover. I’m hoping to hear some kind of self-harmonization on the album like we got in “Historia closing theme”.

actually to my surprise Wakana did a very good job! yes I was skeptical but you can't blame me really...
the songs are rather bland but at least she did a good job singing. but as many have pointed out, her singing still has ups and downs.
goodness, leaving Kalafina maybe will be good for her. she might actually recover into a great voice.

LOVE that “Setsugen -winter dust-” cover! Much as the T.M.Revolution fangirl in me was hyped for this, I honestly couldn’t imagine Wakana pulling it off, but I’m enjoying her performance more than the original song itself.

Back