The Spam Filter, and Post Approval

N

ninetales

First of all, let me start by saying that I understand the need for a spam filter and I don't want to get rid of it. But...

The other day I wanted to post Chiaki's tweet about her new album, and my translation. It wouldn't let me, until I got rid of all my quotes and just paraphrased.

Today I wanted to post Jr's latest blog post, and my translation. It wouldn't let me.

There are no links in these posts, and the filter has no problem with the picture from Jr's blog alone. But even if I take away the quotes from around the text of his blog, it won't let me post.

I don't understand what on earth it thinks is spam. I'd think it was just because the text is Japanese - but then why does it let people post the Kalafina blogs?

In short - is there any way that it can be programmed to be a bit more sensitive?

-----

Also, the STAGE48 forum (for AKB48) runs on the phpBB like this forum, and it has "post approval" for new members - that way, anything they post after their first post won't be seen until their first post has been approved.

That forum's a lot more active than this one, but is "post approval" a possible way to get rid of both automatic and human spambots, without the overzealous filter getting the actual members' way?

let me check it out; there shouldn't be any spam filters like that and we already are bot-proof

The only issues we have with advertisements are with human spammers and no filter can fix that XD we just delete them as they come along

Can you try posting again?
I think it might have been the 60000-character post size limit that caused it. I changed it to unlimited now

^ Okay, I just tried it, but it's still not working...

I tried posting line-by-line, and as soon as I get to the third line of Jr's blog post, the filter kicks in. Even if I remove the spaces in between the lines, or put the sentences on the same line, it won't let me post...

All I can think of is that it's the Japanese, but no one seems to have trouble posting the Kala blogs... :confu:

can you email me the post so i can do some experimenting? XD

edit: NVM i found the post; see below

I wanted to insert a Youtube video but the filter wouldn't allow me that :uh..:

I don't know where this filter is :uh..:
I just did some serious narrowing-down copypasta of jr's blog

In the third line of the post, it's detecting the number "20" as spam, the characters of 2 and 0 together. It's a slightly different (i guess asian char set) character and i have no idea why it would be detected as spam. I'll be looking into it more XD

alph, can you give me the link to your youtube video? maybe it also has some crazy unexpected characters that the program finds offensive @_@

Looks like the message is generated by Akismet, which is the new spam filter that came with the phpBB update at the end of January. As far as I know, the database that your posts are checked against is not hosted here, but at the akismet's servers

I cannot see any option to turn it off or edit it in the admin control panel so I will have to ask Sudrien about it. I think one of the solutions we can do is make it so it only checks spam for users with less than 5 posts, or something like that? Hopefully that's possible XD

^ Oh, I see...
I'll go see if I can post Jr's blog by changing the 20 to regular numbers :ayashii:

I think one of the solutions we can do is make it so it only checks spam for users with less than 5 posts

I seem to recall at least one user who just merrily posted semi-coherent replies to whoever and wherever, all the time flashing a couple of links in his/her sig. :plot: Such solutions bet on spammers' laziness, but there are some diligent ones out there. :XD:

I recall being called a spammer by the system too for using an [i.m.g] tag and hosting pictures on imgur too... :XD:

Unfortunately, there is no way to directly tell Akismet that we are a forum instead of a blog.

Spam checking restricted to first 5 posts.

Spam checking for signatures remains in place.

Back