Tha hidden side of songs...

A

akai tsukikage

...Instrumental version, an other dimension...

Hmmm Sometime, when you got a single with the song, and its instrumental version, have you already prefered the instrumental version rather than the original one ?

I think for some songs, the voice hide the instrumentation, as a consequence some parts of songs which are very good, are forgotten...

I prefer the instrumental version of synchronicity but I also love the chorus in the other one °w°. That's not Yui makino's fault, I think the song was not made for having a "leader voice" (is that correct in english ? or voice lead ? >_<), mabe just chorus.

And, what 'bout ya guys ? Do you feel the same ?

Yes the electric guitar and the piano background of synchronicity is better in the instrumental,
The fact that japanese put in their albums the Karaoke versions (also known as Instrumental, off vocal, without vocal) of their songs forces the composers to make good music, with variety of instruments playing and / or sound effects and chorus and that makes the instumentals good to hear and sometimes even better that the song itself.
(Japanese people make instrumental because in japan there are Karaoke places where you can go and sing with the instumental version playing -> you have noticed that from the anime) - boys ask girls " do you want to go to karaoke after school?"

some songs have better original song than karaoke

lol yeah for the karaoké xD
But in some instrumental versions, there are no chorus...although in the original one, they are present. Like in synchronicity, the chorus is present in the original whereas in the instrumental, they are absent °_°

synchronicity is the only song with instrumental that doesnt have "leftovers" of the singers voice or chorus, and has only the instruments

Personally I like the vocals. To me they ARE an instrument, and perhaps the most beautiful one.

I recollect the instrumental version of "Blessing". The chorus was not only present, tney sang pretty much the same that Yuuka sang, just a bit lower.

i spent the laste few days listening to the karaoke versions only and they are like completely new songs! XD

I loved instrumental treatments of Nowhere in the Madlax anime. Too bad they're not on the soundtrack(s)...

Nowhere is an amazing song. But I noticed (maybe I'm wrong) that in almost all the lyrics on the booklet of the singles the chorus are missing. Nowhere has nice chorus in English that doesn't appear transcribed on the lyrics that I looked at. The same happens with Synchronicity. Anyone knows the lyrics of the chorus from this song?

(there is a video with Nowhere karaoke version, the lyrics are in japanese but it also includes the english chorus part http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mqpl ... aoke_music )

No idea but it sounds as if they say
" I could see you in nightmare, melody,
I could see you in nightmare (sth else)
I could see you in nightmare melody
I could see you in nightmare (sth else)"

the something else is a word I cant say what is sounds like yet

Yea the instrumental version of Nowhere is pretty good ! With the chorus it's wonderful xD
I adore Tsuki no Curse vocalless version ! with all the guitares xD

The instrumental of Blessing is very intense !
I've made a strange experience for this song :
- First I've put the "without vocal" version in my mp3 player.
- Afterwards I've put the original version of Blessing in my computer.
- Then I listned with the right earphone of my mp3 player the "without vocal" version and in my computer's speakers I've played the original one at the same time.
So I was listening to the 2 versions of Blessing simultaneously !

Conclusion :
In the chorus, they sing a bit differently, sometimes they sing lower than Yuuka and sometimes higher. They are sort of "additional voices" which give more strength and depth to Yuuka's voice.

Yes. its like a boost up to the voice, and the happens in almost all Yuki songs and in many many other songs by other artists

It's all just vocal harmonies, mostly 3rds and 5ths and that's used pretty often in music. But as usual with Yuki, she uses them very "powerfully"...^_^

nitrus said:
It's all just vocal harmonies, mostly 3rds and 5ths and that's used pretty often in music. But as usual with Yuki, she uses them very "powerfully"...^_^

what do you mean by "vocal harmonies" and what are the "3rds and 5ths"?

george1234 said:
nitrus said:

what do you mean by "vocal harmonies" and what are the "3rds and 5ths"?

Vocal harmony is when several voices sing together, but when they don't sing the exact same notes (they're not in unison), but form either harmonic intervals (generally 2 voices) or chords (3 and more voices). 3rds and 5ths are most frequent harmonic intervals. A third means a note two whole tones higher than the root and a fifth is three and a half whole tones higher. There are of course many more possible intervals. A basic major chord consists of the root note, a 3rd and a 5th.

This may seem a bit confusing, but you asked for an explanation, and here it is, as simple as I could manage... :D

The bakground voices in Yuki's songs (the karaoke versions) , are processed in computer or are natural? I am in this dilemma months now.

george1234 said:
The bakground voices in Yuki's songs (the karaoke versions) , are processed in computer or are natural? I am in this dilemma months now.

I can't tell this absolutely certainly... There are ways to create those harmonies digitally, but they mostly sound very unnatural and it's used very rarely, when there's no way around it. So I'm almost 100% sure they are recorded "naturally". Just notice in fact any band performing live - you'll see the lead singer singing the melody (the loudest in the mix) and other member are singing along, too - they're creating harmonies for the melody. The same goes for Yuuka's (and others') voices. Although in the studio she can sing all the voices by herself...:)

Speaking about bg vocals, another thing makes me anxious. Yuki said in an interview that, as part of See-Saw, she actually sings in the bacground sometimes. And then I read her worklist as an animation composer [and they provide information about vocal contributions] to find her as a vocal in Obsession and Yasashii Yoake! all put together... is it true that in karaoke versions of these songs we can ACTUALLY hear Yuki's voice? O_o

Yes I think so ! xD
but I don't know if in her last works we could hear her voice <.<

Back