SAO Film Orchestra Concerts 2020/21: 3/7 - 23/9 2021

To anyone who found the sound too muffled on the officially released SAO Film Orchestra Concert.

Here's my hackjob idea to address it (and possibly mess it up even further, lol). I used BD audio but it would probably work similarly with CD, they seem the same.

First of all, I'm no expert, I'm no audio engineer, I'm not going to pretend I'm smart or that what I'm doing is smart. I'm just trying to make the most out of this for myself. So... have a sample of the result and compare it to the original to check if this is something you're even interested in:
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/09oGDY5A#lwSbT_yIfl26DXFQKZEJmP9Ez2ql5aLF6kx9y9eBJV4
"cpm"

How to:
Take the original audio and mix/overlap it with another copy of that audio which: is inverted and delayed by 1sample(!), and also has a -10dB gain* on it to make it quieter than the original. If you feel like it, amplify the resulting file (I needed +2.45dB gain for the mixed audio to peak at -0.1dB).

Et voila. (or just hit me up if you don't want to mess with it on your own.)

*about that -10dB gain on the inverted file. That's how much I ended up using, but if you feel like the sample is too much for you or your system, perhaps it would be better to make the audio even more quiet.

History:
The original idea was to maybe use the livestream to make the released audio brighter/clearer but that was a can of worms. 1) I could not find the archived stream anywhere, only rips. 2) Every rip I could find had different sounding audio and different issues. 3) At the very least Remi's vocals were touched up so I couldn't do anything about her tracks. (Who knows about other instruments/choir.) 4) Issues with panning of instruments in the livestream and CD/BD... Ugh. Problems everywhere.

Sooo I went with the idea above instead and I am mostly okay with the results considering what we had to work with.

Last edited:
I actually quite enjoyed myself watching the BD version of the concert. It is much better properly edited and without the animated cutaways.

actually it did improve it I think. I tried to find the differences between your magic and the CD rips, in particular, in delete around 1:20 the brass is clearer, it feels as if some fog is lifted xD I use sony's wh#### headphones so... you are much more of an audiophile than i am by a mile:goodjob: though the experience as a whole is the same for me. the arrangement is still lacking and the recording feels as if the orchestra was away from the mics :glasses:

We make do with what we have.

If you feel like it, try comparing false king, let's join swords and the final war between the orchestra CD and this.

And then for shits and giggles go back to WoU OST1 and listen to a sword of bravery in her heart. Jfc Koiwa/Chinone...

Back