Rank Yuki's vocalists

My rankings, especially between Hikaru and Keiko, are very very very close, because I do like all Kajiura's vocalists. Because she works with such a select group, her singers have become almost as much a defining characteristic of her music as her lyrics, her style or her use of kajiurago even.

Like WakaGod (sorry, can I just call you that? XD) said in his post, these rankings are based on how much I *like* the vocalists, not necessarily how technically good or proficient I think they are. I don't know much about professional singing, and my music knowledge isn't great, so in some cases there may be other factors apart from their singing or the way their voice sounds that affects how much I 'like' them.

I'm also considering the 'OST' ladies separate from the 'KalaFJ' girls because I've just always considered them separately and trying to rank them all together is just too difficult and potentially heart-wrenching for me XD

FJC girls:
1 - Wakana
The Wakashark maintains an iron grip. ;) Hers was the voice that drew me into Kajiura's music in the first place, even before I knew the singers' names, or could distinguish whose voice was whose. It jumped out at me in Parallel Hearts, Toki no and oblivious. It was just sooo smooth and rich, and literally made me feel like someone had taken the beautiful tone and timbre of a violin and converted it somehow into a human voice. <3

Of course, it seems, we can't talk about Wakana without inevitably going there, so I'm just going to say:
even though yes, I'm most likely hugely biased because she's always been my favourite, I do agree that her voice has changed and isn't as good as it used to be. I also acknowledge that her live abilities aren't strong. However, whilst I do strongly prefer her pre-2012 voice, I find that I still have it in me (whether genuinely or from pure fangirl stubbornness/denial) to like her current voice. And I'm not very musically knowledgeable nor do I have a good sense of pitch, it seems, so I guess I'm more lenient when it comes to lives. I'm a very easy person to please, and also probably part of it is that half the time I can't even tell when someone's singing off unless it's way off. XD

Aside from that, it's her personality (or what we see of her personality) that I really have a soft spot for. I know some people might think that's a bit irrelevant because it should be all about the music and the singing but I'm one of those people who can't really love an artist (to the degree of a serious fan) if I'm not engaged with them as people. For some reason I just find the way Wakana comes across in interviews, footages and reports really relatable, and she just clicks with me a bit more than the others. Her quirkiness and warm sense of humour are charming, and she comes across as a very kind person. She also gives me the impression of being quite sensitive behind all that exuberance. Again, I know some people might call BS because, of course, I don't know her personally in real life so who knows what's she actually like. But for me personally this plays a part in why I inexplicably just love her as my favourite. Once a Waka-fangirl, always a Waka-fangirl :V:

Sorry for the wall of text, I just felt the urge to further justify why she's my favourite beyond voice/singing ability, considering that's a sore spot around here. And because I would like to hope that I'm not coming across as a blind puppy-love fan who gets iffy when people criticise her. Despite how very intense it is, I do try to repress my bias much as possible. :bow:

2 - Keiko (sometimes Hikaru)
Number 2 spot changes all the time because I just cannot commit between Keiko and Hikaru. Right now Keiko has a slight lead, but ask me this two weeks ago and I might have given #2 to Hikaru. OTL

Keiko's voice is truly unique, and I am yet to find another contralto female singer, western or eastern, who can equal the appreciation I have for her. It's soooo velvety, rich and warm. Like chocolate cake for your ears?! XD

She's also so incredibly reliable and dependable in lives, and her stage presence is phenomenal. I guess it also helps that she's amazingly charismatic and good-looking ;P

3-Hikaru
My soft spot for Hikaru increased phenomenally since After Eden. It's made me go back and appreciate even more her voice in the earlier album (SPRINTER <3). She alternates with Keiko on #2 because similar to Keiko, I prefer her voice in a certain range (namely, in whatever range Kajiura wrote her parts in sprinter's beginning, neverending, Hanataba and the like).

At first I don't think I quite understood what Kajiura meant by Hikaru's voice having the quality of metallic bells, but I think I can hear it now. Apart from when she's using that Amazonian-woman rock voice, there's this certain clarity in the way she sounds. Especially in sprinter there's this kind of...springiness? I also love how expressive and versatile she is (both voice-wise and dance/acting-wise XD). It's a bit hard to describe (and I'm probably not going to make much sense here) but in that sweet spot I'm talking about (which is basically where all of her lines in neverending are) her voice has this rolling(?) quality and just seems to...wrap(?)/embrace(??)/curl(???) around your eardrums???? Yup I give up XD

She also definitely catches my eye the most on-stage with her melodrama and angsting. I think some people don't like it for it's awkwardness, but I actually enjoy watching her angst and emote away in their performances. Somehow it gets me really pumped up.

4 - Kaori
She interchanges with Yuriko at times. She used to be my definite 2nd favourite after Wakana, but somehow Keiko and Hikaru just shot right up there, and my appreciation for Yuriko grew to equal Kaori.

Side note: This is weird but I like to think her as like...the 'light' twin to Hikaru's 'dark' twin? I know their voices sound nothing alike, though they both have a very youthful air whereas (aside from Asuka and Yuuka) Kajiura's other singers sound more 'womanly' to me.
It's also because of Kaori v Hikaru that I also end up thinking of Kalafina and FJ being the 'dark' v 'light' twins of each other, since Yuriko is practically the ghost fourth member of Kalafina anyway, so really only the differences of Kaori and Hikaru set the groups apart for me.

Kaori's voice really reminds me of...air. Like, a cool gust of wind, or a light breeze. She has a really bright, light, open voice that I find really easy to listen to. Even though she's quite distinctive and I can recognise her voice easily from other singers, for some reason she's always sounded slightly more generic to me than the other girls? Which is maybe why she's not higher up there, she's got the kind of voice that I would end up liking by default, but it kind of just stops there.

Apart from Kajiura I've listened to her solo works as well (I loved Colours a lot more than Place) and some SH works. I do think she's incredibly versatile (perhaps even more so than Hikaru) and got a lot to offer which Kajiura hasn't necessarily brought out of her yet.

5 - Yuriko
Alternates with Kaori. Because she has a more obvious vibrato(? I think it's called) to me than the others she was a bit of an acquired taste at first. It's also why I definitely prefer her higher range to her lower. When she's singing in songs like salva nos live, or materialise it really blows me away, but songs like Himitsu and HWSITMD took a bit longer for me to like.

I think the live vol 4 MC and that 2008 interview (I don't remember what it's called, I just refer to it as "That one interview where Wakana ranted about sharks halfway through") made me warm to her even more as well. She came across as a really cool, calm, relaxed person, the kind that you'd just want as your real Anego. :D

6 - Yuuka
Yuuka's a tough one because I can never decide if I actually really like her voice or if I don't like it at all. :/ It has this...smoothness or clarity that I like? And it's very piercing, which again, I'm not sure about. But for some reason I get incredibly addicted to her songs, and can listen to them for hours and hours on end. So I'm not really sure if it's Yuuka's voice that I like, or if Kajiura just wrote her some really amazing songs... XD

7 - Asuka
A pleasant-enough voice to listen to, but not much more to me because it is a bit generic. I'd feel the same way about her as other artists that I know but don't like enough to actively follow.

OST/opera ladies:

1-Hanae
Her voice is like someone took the concept of "smoothness" and distilled it into a sound. (Don't think that even makes sense lol) It's not only incredibly smooth but there's this 'coolness' about it, so my ears actually feel refreshed listening to her voice. Like they've dived into a pool of cool, crystal-clear water... (sorry for all of these weird metaphors hahaha). And her voice is also rather tragic-sounding to me, like the way Kajiura describes Wakana's. I think I'm a sucker for voices that sound sad.

Not to mention she seems so classy in person as well, in YK live vol. 9. A true professional. <3

2-Remi
She's kind of Hanae x Eri Itoh for me. She's got a similar smoothness as Hanae, but a slightly warmer and more youthful(?) sound. I love that Kajiura's working with her more now, I absolutely loved her in SAO and Historia III as well as the Sound Horizon stuff. It'd be cool if she became a Kalafina regular, like Yuriko, Fion and Hanae. (Wonder if Kajiura would ever mix Eri Itoh or Kasahara with Kala?)

3-Eri Itoh
She used to be #2, before Remi started working with Kajiura. I LOVED her in tsubasa (ring my song and once upon a time there was you and me are especially just... <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3). In contrast to Hanae ('smooth', 'cool'), her voice has a 'warm, rich' feel to me (like Yuriko). I haven't followed any of her other stuff but apparently she does a lot of musical theatre? Would love to hear her cover Memory, from Cats...

4-Yuriko
Well, Yuriko also sometimes steals #3 spot from Eri. She's an omnipresent being in the Kajiura world, so it's kind of impossible not to love her singing, especially in the OST works where her voice can shine a lot more. Her and Eri Itoh both have this warm, rich sound. I'd say Yuriko sounds richer and warmer than Eri Itoh's voice, probably because of her vibrato. Is it just me, or is Yuriko's very prominent? O.o Either way, I seem to distinguish her from the other girls by listening for that XD

5-Yuri Kasahara
So...I know that she's the most epic, dramatic and powerful singer...and she even may well be more skilled, but her voice has always come across as a bit...bombastic? Not sure if that's the right word. I think she fulfils her role in Kajiura's epic songs really well, it's just that I wouldn't leisurely listen to her voice on its own the way I could for Hanae, Remi, Eri or Yuri-nee. Her voice is a bit too much for me. But she certainly sounds the most impactful of Kajiura's singers I think.

Unranked:
Fion/Kajiura:
I seriously don't know where to put her. XD I think she has a lovely voice, but I wish she'd sing more. Also maybe having more solo parts so I can hear her properly, and then decide where I'd place her...

Emily Bindiger:
She's okay, but I'm not a giant fan of the way she sings higher notes. Prefer her singing low...

Deb Lyons:
Again, I don't really have any feelings on her. She's good, but that's about all I can say.

Emily Curtis:
I think I liked her the most out of Kajiura's English singers. But again, nothing really special...

That Male Voice in Heigen Whose Name I Forget:
He was kind of awesome. I have a half-baked wish that Kajiura would start using a regular male vocalist, but I wonder if maybe it's because Keiko can go so deep that Kajiura doesn't even need a dude. XD

I don't remember/know the other English singers. Also I haven't listened enough to Saeko Chiba and Chiaki Ishikawa to comment on them. I've listened to Saeko Chiba's sayonara solitia, and she kind of just sounded Asuka-ish to me, but I have listened to some See-Saw songs and I'm impressed by Chiaki Ishikawa's power.

EDIT: I'm so sorry this is so long, I hadn't realised before posting :bow: It seems you unleashed the floodgates of Kajiura love in me, sora XD

@Cerise I also wish kajiura would stars working with more male vocalists. It'd be a easy way to add some freshness in to her soundtracks.

@Cerise I like how you described each vocalist's voice! I find myself nodding and agreeing with each of them. And also about Kala being 'dark' and FJ being 'light' twins of each other.
About male vocalists... I dunno, but I can't imagine how it'll sound like with Kajiurago :XD:

I really want to participate in this ranking thing, but I haven't listened to enough of Kajiura-san's works with other vocalists apart from those who made appearances in Kala/FJ songs, so...

^Ah, thank you! It sounds like opera. I think it's really nice for slow numbers, but for upbeat tracks like 'Mezame' etc. I really can't imagine it :XD:

Nobody has mentioned Yui Makino shockingly
I love when she would write for Makino she always had a great voice as an actress and a singer.

I still want an original arrangement of synchronicity sung by Keiko.

Reactions: aki
I'll add my own 2 cents worth.

Like Cerise, this is based on how much I love the vocalist.

FJC:

1. Yuuka. (Close your mouths, people. Yes, I rank Yuuka the highest.)

I love her nasally, cute voice. I love her for the memories and for the awesome songs she sang. (Maybe Yuki-san wrote better songs then, but I don't mind.) I love songs of hers like Akatsuki, Yakusoku, Yorokobi, etc, and can listen endlessly.

2. Keiko.

What can I say about her deep voice? I dunno. It's beyond words. I love Houseki and Nohara because of her.

3. Wakana.

Lovely, high, crystal clear voice. So beautifully melancholic. (If I had the choice, I'll pick a trio out of those 3 anyday.)

The rest (Yuriko, Kaori, Hikaru, Asuka) all rank the same.

I also love Emily Bindinger, Hanae, Eri Itou.

May I add a vote for Rie Tanaka? Fields of Hope is always a listen-to everyday.

Great thread!!

1) Emily Bindiger. I will always be a Bindiger fan first and foremost of all her vocalists. "the world" is my favorite Yuki song of all time. I admit that I don't think Kajiura has ever since harnessed Bindiger's voice nearly as well as she used to back in the dot hack days. I'm not a fan of "everytime you kissed me" or "I reach for the sun" and definitely not "March." But that first dot hack//sign soundtrack was so magical to me, Bindiger will always be my favorite.
2) Hanae Tomaru. Oh my gosh I love her voice. It has that richness to it, and seems to always carry emotion. It's perfect, I wish Kajiura would do a Hanae-only CD or concert someday. "Mezame", "lotus", "let the stars fall down", "frenetic", mmmmm. Magical!!
3) Deb Lyons. Such a full sound. I love her version of "canta per me" on Fiction so much more than the original. I love her vocals on "image theme of Xenosaga II." Such a deep, great rich voice.
4) Yuri Kasahara: Wow. I mean, wow. What an incredible operatic voice. "Liminality" will always be one of my favorite songs. I also love her version of "salva nos" on Fiction. So much power in her voice, gorgeous.
5) Keiko: I'm so glad that Keiko has become a fore-runner in the FictionJunction concerts. As an English speaker, I used to cringe at her "Engrish" from the early concerts, but in the past few concerts, not only has her pronunciation improved drastically but the power of her voice has nearly doubled! Her ability to carry a note gives me goosebumps. Some of my favorite live performances include "I swear," "sayonara solitia," and "maybe tomorrow" in Volume #9. Her growth as a singer is palpable.
6) Fion: I only put Kajiura last on the list because she's just not a prominent vocalist by far, but seriously, when she sings, it is so damn good. "saints" from Madlax is one of my favorite songs of all times, and a large part of that is because of her emotion-filled, gorgeous voice. The small duet she had in the Dream Port song also showcases that she has a gorgeous voice. I wish she'd sing a little more!

Time to revive an older post! :XD:

I'm just going to go with the FJ Club vocalists because that's mainly what I've listened to. It's so hard to rank them cause I like them all :love:.

1) Hikaru. I put Hikaru 1st mainly because of her vocal ability/versatility. She, in my opinion, has 2 singing voices: Her lighter, sweeter voice (used in songs like Hikari no Senritsu, Mirai), and her darker, gruff voice (in Magia, Destination Unknown). She sounds good and can sing comfortably in both. However, she alternates with #2 a lot for 1st place.

2) Current Wakana. Yes, I did that. I prefer the shark maniac's current voice over her older one. I think her newer voice has allowed her to sing a wider range of songs, whereas her older voice only really allowed for sadder songs. Anyway, I think her newer voice is smoother than her older one, and she is more comfortable in it. For instance, I believe that her performance of "Forest" from YK live vol #11 elemtal tour 2014 was beautiful, and I fanboy almost every time I listen to it (escpecially in the second chorus).

3) Keiko. Do I really need to explain why her voice is so great? She does great no matter what part she has, whether harmony or melody. Plus, she's very consistent in her live performances.

4) Kaori. Kaori is great as well, even with her voice so different from the rest of FJ. She's can also do English pretty well... (I don't have much to say about her :XD:)

5) Older Wakana. As I said when I was talking about Wakana before, she used to only be able to handle sadder songs, and couldn't really carry a lighter song well. Though she was excellent at doing these sadder songs (Hikari no Yukue, Oblivious), much better than what she does with them now (expecially Hikari no Yukue. I actually enjoy her newer performances of Oblivious better).

6) Yuriko. She has an impressive voice, though I don't like her lower register as much.

7) Yuuka. Yuuka is a good singer, but I don't like her voice as much. I think it sounds way too similar to Hikaru's, except very squeaky.

Why does everyone here say Wakana voice changed? is that really true? I will have to check this.
Did something happen to her that changed it?

I can only rank them for their singing voice and stage performance because I dont know her personality.

1) Wakana
2) Kaori
3) Yuriko
4) Keiko
5) Hikaru
6) Yuuka

I have a crush on Wakana and Kaori.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Kaori - she has the best voice from all Utahimes! Delicacy+strengh.
2. Hikaru - her dark voice in magia, du, ien, one light... Yes, I love the vibration of Hikaru's voice! and this power.
3. Keiko - deep, beautiful like a good chocolate. No falses, stability and this smile during lives.
4. Wakana - voice of godness, even if she's screaming. She gives a lot feelings into the song.
5. Hanae Tomaru - so clear, stable and bautiful (I love her in lotus)
6. Eri Itou - Ring your song - amazing! But sometimes her voice is too trembling
7. Yuuka - she has a voice like a baby, little volume and she sounds sometimes childish. I like her only in some songs...
8. Yuriko - I dislike her voice. Ok, she has great abilities and amazing voice volume... But I don't like timbre of her voice. When she's singing she reminds me a hen (Ok, I know that a lot of people here love her, sorry, you can hate me)
9. Emily Bindiger - she has a worst voice for me from Utahimes... She is old ... However I think her voice sounds awfully...

1. Kaori - she has the best voice from all Utahimes! Delicacy+strengh.
2. Hikaru - her dark voice in magia, du, ien, one light... Yes, I love the vibration of Hikaru's voice! and this power.
3. Keiko - deep, beautiful like a good chocolate. No falses, stability and this smile during lives.
4. Wakana - voice of godness, even if she's screaming. She gives a lot feelings into the song.
5. Hanae Tomaru - so clear, stable and bautiful (I love her in lotus)
6. Eri Itou - Ring your song - amazing! But sometimes her voice is too trembling
7. Yuuka - she has a voice like a baby, little volume and she sounds sometimes childish. I like her only in some songs...
8. Yuriko - I dislike her voice. Ok, she has great abilities and amazing voice volume... But I don't like timbre of her voice. When she's singing she reminds me a hen (Ok, I know that a lot of people here love her, sorry, you can hate me)
9. Emily Bindiger - she has a worst voice for me from Utahimes... She is old ... However I think her voice sounds awfully...

I guess I think almost exactly like you, but I'd interchange Kaori for Hikaru and Hanae Tomaru for Eri Itou. Just little personal things ^^

Why does everyone here say Wakana voice changed? is that really true? I will have to check this.
Did something happen to her that changed it?

Well my ranking:

1) Wakana (Could have been Kaori as well , I just put Wakana first because I read she likes Studio Ghibli Animes.)
2) Kaori
3) Keiko
4) Yuriko

I have a crush on Wakana and Kaori.
Just watch their most recent live and compare it to an earlier one; the difference is startling. Before 2011, her voice was deeper and rounder. Now? Her voice is noticeably sharper and higher-almost like a chipmunk. The change is especially noticeable in songs like Natsu no Ringo and Hikari no Senritsu.

Thanks @Sofia! I love Hikaru's voice but Kaori is more perfect in singing :love:

Wakana has a crisis since beginning of 2011 (Kitakyushu) to 2013 (5th anniversary). AE Special Live - she was looking like an angel without wings... I really feel sorry for her:touched: But Hikaru was in brilliant condition. Now it's conversely. Hikaru has a problems (the worst part of her crisis was Consolation Special Live). Now it's better - e.g. on Blue Day (but this ARIA... poor Hikaru...)

Thanks @Sofia! I love Hikaru's voice but Kaori is more perfect in singing :love:

Wakana has a crisis since beginning of 2011 (Kitakyushu) to 2013 (5th anniversary). AE Special Live - she was looking like an angel without wings... I really feel sorry for her:touched: But Hikaru was in brilliant condition. Now it's conversely. Hikaru has a problems (the worst part of her crisis was Consolation Special Live). Now it's better - e.g. on Blue Day (but this ARIA... poor Hikaru...)
Definitely, I'm not going to rank the vocalists since I don't feel qualified enough to vote for them, I haven't really listened to many lives form FJ only volumes 2,8,10 and 12 and only select songs. I will say that from what I can say from what I've seen of Yuuka's solo career is that she sounds SUPER nasally to me, just too much.
Wakana's voice has changed I don't really mind it but when older songs like Oblivious are sung the diffrence is clear and it runis the enjoyment of the song at times.
Lastly, I wish Keiko used her lower register more:touched:. I really like it. Im glad I'm not the only one who noticed her sliding though. Mune no Yukue form Consolation was HORRIBLE. SINGERS DON'T SLIDE KEIKO:touched:.

Keiko has actually reduced her sliding notes in the MnY Consolation live. And in most songs where she's the lead.

It's sometimes jarring because sliding, when used effectively can help with note transition. Compare seventh heaven from TYPE-Moon fes with the Lisani 4 and Budokan Blue Day performances. The previous performances were better for me, at least, because Keiko knows how to use sliding more effectively than Hikaru, who slid because she couldn't reach those notes without them. Now it's apparent that Keiko's aiming to remove sliding from her singing altogether, which is a shame because she sings in staccato to compensate for it.

Back