Pronoun use in Kalafina lyrics

P

Puddle Boots

Wow! I can't believe this subforum escaped me for so long! (Also just recently discovered you can view the kanji from the lyrics pages and was quite astonished...)

So, I've been doing some quantitative YK lyric analysis, just for fun, counting the first and second person pronouns used in her songs. I mentioned this a bit in another forum, but now I'm ready to present my actual data!! As of now, I have gone through all Kalafina songs up to present, but haven't looked over any others.
As most of us are aware, first person pronouns, and to a much lesser extent second person pronouns, carry gendered implications in Japanese. (Very brief summary for those who need it: 1st person: Watashi is gender-neutral, but mostly used by women, boku is more masculine. 2nd person: anata is generic and also sometimes used to mean 'dear' as in what wives call their husbands (but not the other way around for some reason). Kimi is more informal and is used on people of equal or lower status to that of the speaker.) It is also possible to imply a pronoun that does not actually appear in the text, though this is different from a pronoun that does not appear in the text because it does not exist, which is also possible. I'm also interested in the ways in which first and second person pronouns are paired within songs, and the nuance this adds to our understanding of the lyrics.
Here are my findings. Here, "Zero" stands for an implied pronoun that does not appear in the text (there is a 1st/2nd person grammatically implied, but no pronoun physically present,) "X" stands for no pronoun (there is either no first person or no second person in the song at all, and consequently no pronoun to represent them,) and N/A stands for songs written entirely in kajiurago. By the way, in songs where a pronoun is specifically stated, but in another language, (e.g. 貴方だけが the one that I adore) the pronoun has been counted as Zero.
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 3.18.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 3.22.12 PM.png

So we're seeing lots of I=Zero, lots of I=boku, some I=watashi, a lot of you=anata, and a whole lot of you=kimi. So, how are these paired within the actual songs? (My apologies for the sloppy formatting. I am not the best with computers...)
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 3.14.34 PM.png

So here we see that Kalafina music overwhelmingly pairs boku/kimi, and frequently pairs watashi/anata, and also frequently uses both of those second person pronouns with a Zero first person pronoun. What I found interesting was the five songs pairing watashi/kimi, (ひかりふる、君が光に変えて行く、夏の朝、やさしいうた、Magia) and the one song pairing boku/anata (Symphonia), as these seem to be much less common. I have some hypotheses about the reasons behind this, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts as well.

Fun fact: the only Kalafina song that even contains a first or second pronoun other than watashi, boku, anata, or kimi, is "love come down," in which the narrator quotes other people who talk about her, and in their voice refers to herself as "omae," a rude/informal way to say "you." This is not counted in the above analysis because it comes from a third person, rather than the "I" and "you" who are the focus of the song.

I honestly believe a big part of it has to do with whichever pronoun fits better into the melody lmao two syllables vs three? (i.e. "Kimi no gin no niwa" vs "Anata no gin no niwa")

In "seventh heaven"- "anata to watashi no nagori no yuki ga toketa" / then / "utattehoshii kimi no boku no..."

Not quite sure if there's a deeper meaning. Then again I ain't Japanese

Similarly: BOKUTACHI versus BOKURA. Four or three syllables??

Songs with watashi-kimi pronouns are easily understandable if you analyze from whose point of view's the song is being sung at. For example, Hikarifuru is from Madoka POV, and the song is Madoka's message to her (girl)friend, Homura. Magia I think is Homura to Madoka since Madoka is the still dreaming memories and Homura is the sleepless tomorrow (2nd chorus). Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete yuku is from Shiki to Kokutou. Symphonia though, I don't recall it having boku anywhere in the lyrics? There are some bokuras though, and since bokura is we/us aka me+you or watashi+anata I don't think it'd count? I mean atashitachi is quite rarely used unless you're bunch of teenage girls or moms. Other than that, yes to what @Atlas Star pointed.

I mean watashi-kimi is the standard pronouns used by girls when they're talking to everyone who are around their age, while boys are usually more varied - it depends on who they're talking to. Boys can use boku-kimi, boku-omae, ore-omae, ore-kimi to everyone their age depends on whether they're talking to their close friends, people they barely know, their enemies, or girls.

Back