Kalafina B sides

Ghost Reaper

I eat sleep and breathe Yuki
I didn't find a thread listing the B songs from Kalafina's singles. I made a list of the ones that haven't made it to any of their albums. There are enough for an album.

1. Gloria from Lacrimosa
2. Lyrica from storia
3. Utsukushisa from progressive
4. Sapphire from Hikari no Senritsu
5. Adore from Kagayaku Sora no Shijima ni wa
6. Yane no mukou ni from moonfesta
7. dolce from Alleluia
+ Misterios from Kimi no Gin no Niwa
released on best red album, not sure if it belongs here.
8. tsuioku (reminiscence) Kimi no Gin no Niwa
9. in every nothing from believe
10. lapis from believe
11. koibito no mukashigatari no yūgure no from ring your bell
12. Mahiru from One Light
13. Samidare ga Sugita Koro ni from One Light

What are your thoughts on these songs ? Are they throw aways ? I rarely see them listed in any of their live set lists.

Thanks for the heads up Martin. My list is much smaller, just sticking to the B sides not released on an album, or in the case of Mysterios, the Red Best CD.

Funny. No B side for Heavenly Blue, but two for Believe and One Light. Then there's a reprise(?) of Ring Your Bell giving that single two b songs as well. I guess the "thinking" at Sony was Heavenly Blue was not going to be popular. So little effort was put in to it. And then it was a big hit. Now they let YK put two Bs on the singles. oh yeah,
Kimi no Gin no Niwa has two B songs too.

There was no single release for Heavenly Blue at first, it was only because the song was popular they released a single for it. Why it was popular I will never know because it's a bad song but it was. It was a limited release as well so b-sides weren't really thought about.

Many of their b-sides are vastly superior to a good 85-90% of their discography, as well. Some of their best material is b-sides, and they're probably the most consistent source of top-notch quality across Kalafina's works as well. A b-side album release would be cool, although I already own all the singles with b-sides on so I don't know if I'd rush out to get a copy.

a dream that will never come to fruition: a b-side live collection

Many of their b-sides are vastly superior to a good 85-90% of their discography, as well.

I think you extragerate. most of seventh heaven, album-exclusive songs and songs like lacrimosa moonfesta hikari no senritsi kimi no gin no niwa are just as good. Also due to the fact that most b-sides end up being ballad if they realise an album like that its gonna be sort boring imo.

@Martin in your list, re-oblivious doesnt count as b-sides, it was a remix mini album, so they arent going to include those somewhere else. Same for the Live recording (of A-sides) ones. Unless they release whole album with live footage, they will never mix studio and live in a single disc.

I love: tsuioku, IEN, Yane no mukou ni, gloria
It's ok: Mahiru, Lapis, Utsukushisa, Interlude 01+02, adore
I don't like: lirica, Samidare, koibito
I hate: sapphire

Lots of b-sides are dark, only few are bright or hopefull. Mahiru and Samidare are rather weak... IEN is a masterpiece. Lirics are amazing and fit to melody.

Amazing: Lirica, Utsukushisa, Koibito, In Every Nothing, Tsuioku

Great: Gloria, Adore, Yane no Mukuo ni, Lapis

Good: Sapphire, Samidare

Eh...: Mahiru

Goddamn amazing: Tsuioku!

Surprisingly amazing: IEN, Lirica, Koibito.. (more serenato live, pls)

Great: Gloria, Adore, Utsukushisa

Good: Yane no Mukou ni, Samidare, Sapphire

Hmm: Mahiru, dolce

Worst: Mirai and Snow falling, lol XDD

Once again I forgot dolce exists. This happens every time.

If we're including album included songs then.

Amazing: Serenato

Okay: Misterioso

Forgettable :ohoho:: dolce

Terrible: Mirai, Snow Falling

Me and my unpopular opinions...

Amazing: snow falling, mahiru, sapphire, koibito
Great: tsuioku, utsukushisa, yane no mukou ni, Gloria
Good: in every nothing, dolce, samidare
Ordinary: lapis, misterioso, serenato
Hate: mirai, adore

cause im including album songs as well

Sounds like you haven't listened to Serenato enough. It took me three years to realise it was in fact not good, but near perfect.

The rest is fine. Also Mirai at the bottom is where it should be :knife:.

Wow, such dislike for Mirai. I found Hikari Furu disinteresting. So it was a nice save on the single, for me. Doesn't matter to me that it's a re-write of Credens Justitiam

Last edited by a moderator:
Including B-sides on albums along with stand alone b-sides.

Amazing: Tsuioku, IEN, Gloria, Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaeteiku, Yane no Mukou ni, Lirica

Great: Sapphire, Adore, Kizuato, Manten, Mirai (yes, Mirai. puts up hate shield)

Good: Serenato, Mahiru, Samidare, Ustsukushisa

Meh: Misterioso, snow falling, lapis, Koibito

Forgettable: dolce

I'm guessing Magia [quattro] and RYB in the silence don't count as b-sides. If they do, I would count them as meh and good, respectfully.

The B-sides seem really popular here, but they've never been favorites of mine...

They're not bad songs, they just don't really catch my attention and tend to bore me a little bit. They do have a certain vibe, so I can see why someone would like them.

I think the only one that I can say I like a lot is snow falling. I also like misterioso, but I think that has a lot to do with my mental association of the song with the scene in the movie.

On the topic of mirai, I actually like credens justitiam quite a bit, but I don't like mirai at all... I don't think it's a song that sounds good for such a length of time and I really prefer the vocals/mood of the original.

Amazing: Serenato (should be in a category of its own), Tsuioku, IEN, Yane no Mukou ni, Utsukushisa, Adore, Manten

Great: Sapphire, Mirai (come at me bros, I love Mirai), Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaeteiku,

Good: Samidare, Gloria, Lirica, Misterioso, lapis, Koibito, Kizuato

Meh: snow falling, dolce

Bad: Mahiru

I love many of the B-sides and will be forever salty that Tsuioku and In Every nothing aren't released in any other way than the singles. I need to buy Kimi no gin no niwa ASAP because it's one of my top Kala singles but I was broke when it came out ;_;

I really think a B-side collection would be amazing from them

I just gave in and bought all the singles that have b-sides on them, since the majority of them are great. I also keep forgetting that Manten was a b-side for some reason, guess I'm just used to it being on Consolation.

I see some Kalafina fans on Tumblr are doing a "what is your favourite B side" thing this week. And here we have a thread where we can do just that ! Love it.

My favourite B sides: toss up between Manten and Mirai. It's mostly because they are the ones I've listened to the most. I don't even remember most B sides. Funny that I made a list of them. I just don't remember most of them when they are played. It mainly the reason I made the list. I had to know what these songs are.

For me, my all time favorite are Gloria and lirica and Manten (the lyrics are just brilliant imo) …. I listen to lirica the most though I think (can't get enough of that Keiko kajiurago, haha)
Adore is great. IEN and Koibito were just alright until I heard them live, soo good. I love Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Yuku but I won't go out of my way to listen to it unless I'm in the mood or listening to the SH album. Same for Kizuato and serenato.
I may have missed one but the rest range from meh ok -> I don't really have an opinion about it.

Lemme see:

I love Yane! And Samidare made its way into top 5 Kala songs for me. That badass guitar. :nosebleed:

Tsuioku and Mahiru sounds great. I like Mirai's refrains. Lirica, Sapphire, Lapis are lovely listens. Serenato is pleasant to listen to after long tiring work days.

Dolce is memorable because I once dreamt they sang it on my birthday. LOLLL!

The rest...I'm afraid I don't listen to them much. They belong to "skip, skip, skip, not this song, skip, skip..."

Back