Go Shiina & (notsomuch) Yuki Kajiura to compose for Kimetsu no Yaiba (S4: Airing May 12)

Well that doesnt sound like Kajiura unless she handled just the chorus lyrics and strings arrangement. This or they split the tracks and this one is by Go Shiina.

The bgm is very good though 😍😍😍! the action seems kinda slow though ?

Last edited:
Well that doesnt sound like Kajiura unless she handled just the chorus lyrics and strings arrangement. This or they split the tracks and this one is by Go Shiina.

The bgm is very good though 😍😍😍! the action seems kinda slow though ?
The vocals, chorus and strings sound very Kajiura, but the song structure and some of the rock elements remind me of Go Shiina. Basically, it sounds like a combo of their styles.

PV was a mixed bag. The animation and character designs look great, but I'm worried the music won't fit well with the humor.

I don't like it. The first half is pretentiously bombastic and with choirs that I hate (and I don't know why so many things make me think of Puff Daddy's Godzilla song recently). The second half is like Hi Kajiura. Meh. Only the soloist seems to be something unique in this.

eh that PV and bgm did not match at all.

I think Kajiura forgot the meaning of the choir. It is NOT a simple "epic" device in songs where you put it randomly with "aaaa"s and "uuuu"s to add effect. The recent attempts of choir have been miserable and I don't think this is any different. (except perhaps new Fate's remi track; that blends well)

Also everything about this song is very Kajiura. including the soloist. The soloist part gives me hope though; it has a traditional Japanese feel to it which is something I've been wanting Kajiura to work on for a while.

The strings part may turn out to be good because the beginning of the second part reminds me of Joe Hisaishi for some reason (like if you slow it down a bit- I dunno)

eh that PV and bgm did not match at all.

I think Kajiura forgot the meaning of the choir. It is NOT a simple "epic" device in songs where you put it randomly with "aaaa"s and "uuuu"s to add effect. The recent attempts of choir have been miserable and I don't think this is any different. (except perhaps new Fate's remi track; that blends well)

how about flower will bloom?

if you read her princess principal interview she clearly states that she has changed approch compared to past about using vocals in bgm, she now thinks that they draw viewer attention away from show so thats why she has way less vocal bgms now and why she uses them mostly on battle bgms, and why they sound similar too i guess

Last edited:
I like flower will bloom less actually. I mean she is right in a way; vocals in the past did make the music stand out. Well I hope she comes to her senses and not use choir randomly.

The same goes for strings, needless to say.

What do u mean randomly ? Its not random at all, she uses it on battle bgms, it was more random before when we would get vocal even on calm moments of an anime.
But i do agree with you that she needs to be more creative with the vocal style and its melody

Last edited:
@george1234 While what you're saying may be true (that it was more random in the past, in context of BGM usage in anime), I recommend going back to those old shows and looking at how many BGMs we all like we'd be missing if she was composing like she is today.

Just to have an example, I'd not have saints 14years ago if it was the case. We'd not have key of the fucking twilight, cause it certainly was not a battle BGM. Etc.

Also, wat11 was talking about the choirs themselves being random, I think.

^ I too have no issue with how she used to compose before KnK, vocals on calm moments was what told her apart from other composers (and i remember a Xenosaga ost review saying that i was peculiar the ost had so many vocals) but i loved it. I just said it was more random before not that it wasnt good :)

Now we wait for some anime boss fight to hear some vocals (with only few exceptions like "I miss you" and "first town" ) and because its boss stuff she always uses choirs now. They too have become monotonous like how the strings are. Its like she forgot there are other instruments out there, and, like i said few months ago, the violin solos were bearing so much more feeling than if the same melody is played by strings quartet (just compare Anna ni ishou datta no ni to the remastered version)

Oh absolutely.

PS. If you're craving some Hitoshi Konno solos do check that latest Taku Iwasaki OST.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind the new style if Kajiura just included more instruments besides strings and the occasional flute. Some brass in the action tracks would be a nice change of pace.

Back