Go Shiina & (notsomuch) Yuki Kajiura to compose for Kimetsu no Yaiba (S4: Airing May 12)

First 30 seconds are fire!:dote: Too bad the song transitions into basic Aimer-sound after that. I hope the full version expands more into this darker style rather than the more generic pre-chorus and chorus. I guess the song structure of Akeboshi would be great here. Fingers crossed!
Btw, the full lenght of the song is 4:54 according to vgmdb, so longer than both Akeboshi and Shirogane.

So far I like it. I thought the bridge was the chorus but then it changed again and that surprised me.
The drums are great here. Full chorus instru reminds me a bit of Hyakka Ryouran.
Do you think the additional voice saying "Yu-me-mi-te" (?) we hear during the second part of the verse is Aimer's or a Kajiura vocalist ? (a bit too high-pitched for Aimer?) Also the strings here are very Akeboshi imo. Intended? ^^

Is it different than her songs for Heaven's Feel ? -> Yes
Does it hold a dark tone that wasn't present in the OP? -> Maybe, only the verse? imo it also brings a nostalgic feeling that clearly lacks in the OP
Is it fitting this anime/arc? -> Dunno, still waiting to hear traditional instruments in it. Erhu plz?

Waiting for the full version to judge. Maybe we can expect some twists during a 4:54 min long track that isn't a Ballad.

Btw Zankyo Sanka MV is uploaded and wow high budget. Girl going against the tide like Brad Pitt lol

If we go by her Kimetsu ED tradition, she probably hired other vocalists again in the chorus section of Asa ga Kuru.

Pretty balanced OP/ED I would say
OP shows the festive mood of the District arc featuring fireworks
ED reveals the clear distinction of 'Night'(haunting part of the song) and 'Day'(uplifting part) events

Oof loving the verses. The pre-refrain made me think it was going to turn into a TtB/Believe kind of song. The refrain is catchy, me likes it, though I wish the song had kept the same tone from the verses. Seems like Kajiura just isn't allowed to write dark songs anymore hue.

Do you think the additional voice saying "Yu-me-mi-te" (?) we hear during the second part of the verse is Aimer's or a Kajiura vocalist ? (a bit too high-pitched for Aimer?)
Sounds like Aimer to me.

I don't really hear how this is more Aimer than Kajiura? Granted I am not that familiar with Aimer's discography.
Everything after the verses is our current standard Kajiura anime song, except with a traditional Japanese sounding refrain melody (just melody - not even arrange).

I don't like the very last bit of the TV size and I'm curious how the full version transitions back to the verse after this refrain (assuming it follows regular tv/full size format) - I feel like that transition is going to be the deciding factor for me enjoying the full song. I don't mind the TV size.

I also like the image that @Nightmare painted of the song going night2day.

<2020: iirc Hikaru Utada held the record of most downloaded song in one week according to Oricon;
2020 : LiSA's "Homura" broke it with 46,525 downloads (and later broke several other records);
March 2021: Hikaru Utada's "One Last Kiss" broke it with 72,000 downloads;
October 2021: LiSA's "Akeboshi" broke it with 75,630 downloads ^^
December 2021: Aimer's "Zankyou Sanka" blew it up with 93,040 downloads.
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2217605/full/Her second song at #1 following "Haru wa Yuku"("only" 28,532 downloads), even tho I think "I beg you" was a better hit bringing the full single at #1 (sales, not digital), but the song alone didn't chart that high digitally.
Ouch.

EDIT: this is for female only, Kenshi Yonezu did better than Akeboshi actually. Akeboshi is now the 3rd song of the year.

Zankyou Sanka sounds as if it’s composed for the (seasonal) main protagonist..lol. The song and the PV mood really match his character. I like the catchy melody in the preview, but the full song isn’t that impressive. Well…like Grunty said, it’s KnY anyway…O___O. It’s likely to be successful.

Have just finished the Mugen train arc…it’ll take me a while to catch the present episode. I was so busy last week that I didn’t know that the SAO movie started showing in my town and it’ll be gone soon Orz.

The first track in the episode is Kajiura if you ask me. Just started skipping through it.

Edit:
And the two you mentioned.
Could be one track or "filmscoring"... Nothing that got me excited. :/

Last edited:
Did Yuki Kajiura fell asleep during the broadcast? :p
Is that a Shamisen? I'm hoping she will be involved in more stand-out tracks, because as a "co-composer" it would be annoying to see her only doing the atmospheric / ambient stuff that God Shiina doesn't want to do.

In the new episode, there's a Kajiura track plays at 13:09 and then again at 18:09, Eri tweeted about it. No violin/cello solo and erhu yet, so that means we might get more OSTs by Kajiura or the soundtrack is longer than what we heard.

bgm at 18:00 sounds like something out of Hokuto no Ken. bgm at 13:00 i didnt really recognise Eri there. Bgm at the very beginning does sound like Kajiura.

Yes it has that synched tradition instrument thats alot in HnK . Other than that its just strings and bells so dont get too excited :P

I OCRed the Kajiura credits from ep 1 of this arc

梶浦由記 劇伴
MUSICIANS

Original Music Composed & Arrangement
梶浦由記

Strings
今野均 Strings

Violin/ Violin Solo
今野均
Violin
徳永友美
石亀協子
岡部磨知
堀内優里
亀井友刺
藤堂昌彦
漆原直美
森本安弘
渡過

Viola
生野正樹
長石篤志
萩谷金太郎

Cello / Cello Solo
奥泉貴圭
西方正輝

Contrabass
赤池光治

Flute
赤木りえ

二胡
土屋玲子

Vocal /Chorus
伊東えり <Eri Itoh

Director & Co-Producer
森 康哲
(HIGHWAY STAR)

Score Support
石川 洋光

Recording & Mixing & Editing Engineer
小岩孝志
(SIGN SOUND)

Assistant Engineer
平井美桜
(Sound City)

西本久弥
(FREEDOM STUDIO)

佐藤勘太
(SIGN SOUND)

Musicians Co-ordination
須藤- 男
(HOT WAVE)

Hmmm.

There's some typos in yours so watch out (on two names in Violins, Co-Ordination).

Not sure about the last Assistant Engineer. Maybe I messed up. Yea I did - yours seems right. At least compared to these credits. Oddly enough I can find my guy on signsound.net releases but not this one.

And I also messed up and somehow copy pastad Tokunaga twice in my post, instead of Ishigame (despite having the correct romanized names). Fixed ver below.

Code:
Violin
徳永友美    石亀協子    岡部磨知
堀内優里    亀井友莉    藤堂昌彦
漆原直美    森本安弘    渡邉 栞
/ Tomomi Tokunaga, Kyoko Ishigame, Machi Okabe
/ Yuri Horiuchi, Yuri Kamei, Masahiko Todo
/ Naomi Urushibara, Yasuhiro Morimoto, Shiori Watanabe

Last edited:
Back