Ayashii & M - Update: Oct 12

Precisely because i have been notified that i'm sounding atmospheric, i raped this one to hell and back. And then back to hell. And back out again.
(More on the drawing board)

Going for a more Drum'n'Base approach now.

M16 0.4.5

I'm liking it and i'm getting some weird vibes off it. :plot: My idea is legion, for it is many! ...though ofc only a few will survive in the final cut.

Atmospheric is okay ... well... some will like it, some will not. That's normal, i guess.
A lot of VidGame and Movies tracks are like that. And I love it so. Examples from these are : Shadow Hearts OST 1, Phi & Moon OST (both are from Clint Mansell).

Wings of Knight - nice vocals and piece of song. But I guess this is a sample? (sorry, I don't read all of the posts)

wonderland 2.5 - it has a beautiful melody, but a note or two sound a bit off and the low male voices (?) makes this piece even more haunting and great.

M09 - oh wow... somehow 30 sec after the beginning reminds me of Clint Mansell. I like it. Nice jungle drums. It feels as if you are in a wet dark jungle.

M06 - Hm... Indian/arabic military? it sounds promising, but the snare drums are too loud for me. The melody is very listenable.

M08 - an Ok cute song and quite simple.

M11 - Yes, I love this one too... dark, haunting, slow start and then it becomes very tense. It feels as if an RPG boss comes out and chases you. Complex, tense and evil.

Aion Theme - Hm, You added a chinese violin in the background? I don't feel any differences from the original that big.
It's ok.

M16 0.3.0 - Hm... this reminds me of Phi OST from Clint Mansell again... It is unique, but maybe needs some improvement in the melody area or choice of instruments?

M04 - The same as above basically ^^;

M16 0.4.5 - This is more listenable than the previous version! Good job, Ayashii. Now it sounds more lively, In the 2:15 to the end, the distorted vocals are fun to hear. This song is consistent. It begins low profile and ends more complex.

Thank you very much for the critique. Indeed, Wings of Knight is not mine, it's just the bit i made Aion Theme after. ^^

For Aion Theme i used a bit of somewhat poorly constructed reverse reverb on the vocals in the beginning, then yes, the Erhu, some santoor (the plucked strings) and a Dixi if i remember correctly. You really don't see the difference? xD

wonderland 2.5 - it's a male choir, yes ^^

I meant the remark of you sounding atmospheric as neither positive nor negative. It really depends on the purpose of the music. Since you are making a soundtrack, that makes it a whole different story.

M16 0.4.5 (which makes me seriously wondering how you are numbering this stuff XD)

This one is good. I like it. One specific detail (the white noise at 1:29) was really clever. This version of M16 is definitely pretty much finished. It has an appropriate length and is not 'boring.' I would vote against adding extra instruments or melody lines so the music does not get to over-crowded.

One remark though: the ending is a bit sudden in my opinion. For a song like this that is possible, but I suggest if you want to keep an abrupt ending you should end with a loud noise that suddenly fades away, like the white noise, or a loud drum sound. I think that will make it improve and it is not hard to implement.

Re:

RaveD said:
One remark though: the ending is a bit sudden in my opinion. For a song like this that is possible, but I suggest if you want to keep an abrupt ending you should end with a loud noise that suddenly fades away, like the white noise, or a loud drum sound. I think that will make it improve and it is not hard to implement.

I'll consider that but it's not really how i see it... I could do something in between though... :ayashii:

Aaand i number the songs as follows:

Mwhatever X.Y.Z

- Z is for small changes like volume, a small effect added, one note added/cut out somewhere, or some smalle perc elemnt added/cut out and such

- Y is for medium to big changes like the adding of a new instrument that makes a big difference or it's removal, or big changes to the main melody if there is one.

- X is 1 only when i consider it to be the version i imagined in the end. after that it turns to 2 or 3 if i do other arrangements of the piece or if i move stuff in a very obvious manner from one place to another.

I can jump up as many numbers as i consider appropriate, sicne i don't always take into cosideration all of the above.

And that's the whole story. :D

And i'm glad you like this one too ^^

It's length, however, should be determined by the story it's trying to tell and not by "3 mins should be a standard ok" or the kind. So the story sounds complete? :D

Back