Sword Art Online (SAO: P)

Yes but the first season was really heavy on ambient fx tracks and I guess I was just hoping for something different since I am not a huge fan of her work on Sao

Oh you mean that. Well, its their fault for including these tracks in the OST just to fill up space, and left some others out (like some bar musics) . In KnK these tracks are a big part of the series nature as they give off the "emptiness" part, but ther are just mere tracks for SAO.

I really like the first OST but I have to admit that the 2nd one was kinda disappointing :S especially since the official release had all the tracks at wrong pitch than the anime, and one of the tracks was mysteriously dublicate of an ost 1 one, just with different title (there was official sorry for this from aniplex).

SAO season 1's OST was pretty mediocre. I think it's probably the second-worst soundtrack Kajiura's made, with Mai-Otome being the worst (HiME's OST was pretty cool though). It wasn't bad but it wasn't the quality I'd expect from her.

The second half of season 1 was pretty bad, but it's been long enough to dull that frustration. Plus GGO is supposed to be really dumb in a fun way and I'm down for that right now. So, whatever, I'm getting in on this show. Hopefully it'll be slightly less of a trainwreck.

I thought Mai Otome had a very good soundtrack. Especially considering the type of show it was. Sao on the other hand had a similar premise to .hack so I was extremely disappointed by how bland its soundtrack was in comparison.

@Fetucine: Mai Otome was great, the worse ost for me would be the pandora hearts ost 2, whicch excluding "pandora hearts expanded" and "shadow" was extremely repeatitive of the "melody" melody. Same case more or less was the elemental gerad one with the overuse of everlasting song's melody

SAO AWARD 2014

Dropping the top 3 songs from SAO award 2014 that came with YK's short comment below.
Luminous sword takes the cake for me.

作曲賞

1 - swordland

作曲者梶浦由記さんからのコメント

バトルシーンでキリトがカッコよく見える曲にしようと思って、この曲をつくりました。主人公のテーマが1位になるのは非常にうれしいことです。主人公といっしょにテーマ曲も印象に刻んでくださったということですから。こうしてみなさんの記憶に残っていたというなならば、作品の音楽として機能できていたということでもあります。本来はアニメーションに付属する音楽を一曲の楽曲として聴いていただけるのは、すごく光栄なことです。

2 - luminous sword

作曲者梶浦由記さんからのコメント

個人的に好きな曲で、最近の自分のライブでは毎回演奏しています。ライブでやると観客のみなさんがすごく盛り上がってくださる曲なんですよ。本編では一回しかかからなかった曲ですが、みなさんの強く印象に残ったのならば、本当にうれしいです。

3 - a tender feeling

作曲者梶浦由記さんからのコメント

バトル曲だけでなく、こういうバラード曲が3位に入ったことがうれしいです。いま聴くと、懐かしい気持ちになりますね。私、ハッピーエンドになる作品が大好きなんですよ。『SAO』の魅力のひとつは、ちゃんとハッピーエンドにたどり着く王道さだと思います。

Nico Timeshifts (Japan only lol)
SAOⅡ 放送直前SPキリ子の部屋 [Starts Jul/05/2014 (SAT)]
「SAOⅡ」1st Episode Broadcast [Starts Jul/06/2014 (SUN)]

Might add this anime to my watch list since I haven't been watching much anime lately.

@Fetucine: Mai Otome was great, the worse ost for me would be the pandora hearts ost 2, whicch excluding "pandora hearts expanded" and "shadow" was extremely repeatitive of the "melody" melody. Same case more or less was the elemental gerad one with the overuse of everlasting song's melody

Hey, PHOST2 had, uh, The Relief too. And Everytime You Kissed Me depending on whether you count that as sticking too close to the melody of 'Lacie'. PH had most of its best songs frontloaded in the first OST release though yeah.

Bickering about worst OSTs is kind of off-topic though.

I actually really liked some songs from both osts. The second one had my favorite piano track: she is still sleeping, and climbing up the world tree is amazing I think. It also has false king, and aerial flight (another favorite). So it had stand out tracks. But not as many as ost 1, with luminous sword, march down, the first town, he rules us, confront battle, a narrow escape, fight!, and at nightfall. But I do love the series and music. I do agree about Pandora Hearts ost 2 being bad. You forgot gravel as well, George. But other than that the first ost takes it. Anyways, I am sure there's going to be some tracks that blow us away and some that are kind of blah. But I will keep my hopes up, since it is Yuki.

trailer with part of ep 1 from Daisuki (with new PV at the end)
http://www.daisuki.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxHMzVosl4

WHOLE ep 1 http://anilinkz.com/sword-art-online-ii-episode-1 [NOW IT HAS SUBS]

"Music"

- techno with e.guitar bgm
- sfx, strings & drums bgm (cant hear it well with this video quality)
- new piano track
- new harp and flute track
- sfx bgm
- another sfx bgm
- a third sfx bgm lol (more agressive)
- hard to hear piano bgm
- more sfx bgm (oh this time has some accoustic piano in too)
- horns, drumiing, bells, bgm (sounds like rearrangement of he rules us)
- violin, piano bgm
- strings bgm (sounds like an earlier stage of the PV2 music)
- OP the melody is good, if only Aoi wasnt screaming like that it would be a nice song

Seriously cant they just leave this discussion without music, or just order a long one just for this scene ? In a single ep they served us almost all sfx of the ost =_= I just hope they dont made it in the ost or we are doomed. Irritating that the director still skips kirito's inner thoughts
(in the scene where he was looking at the catalogue, in the novel, he thought of order something expensive since Kikuoka was paying the bill)

Last edited:
Hm. Pretty disappointing. Hope the next episode has more substantial tracks.

Yeah, but I meant for subtitles. I want to watch it without, but I would also like to be able to understand it too. I am going to wait until tomorrow to see it's up with subs so I can watch it with my brother.

Go up and you will see i write NOW WITH SUBS :P

@sora: I agree. Like I said before they could ask her to make a single long track for the Kikuoka + Kirito conversation instead of using 5 sfx bgm. an example of such track would be "days gone by" from FZ. That way it would be less boring and would take up only one slot in a soundtrack tracklist.

The good part is that they totally follow the novel so far.

The ridiculous spinning camera in NicoNico Except The Future was pretty funny. So was having a villain named Death Gun and that one shot where they stuck Kikuoka's's hands over his face so they wouldn't have to animate talking for like 10 seconds. The set-up and music were kinda 'whatever', but hey, first episode.

The set-up was just like in the novel, where we learn about the new game. Next ep its gonna be the introduction with Shinon/Shion and it will fatefully have better music :) My problem was with the director (look my previous post).

Yessss! It is on hulu. http://www.hulu.com/sword-art-online-ii You need a membership though. I can't wait until tomorrow. Watching it now. lol

Edit: Just watched it, hmm. I think it will be interesting. I just can't get over how weird Kirito looks in the game. I like the music so far, when there is music. I hope there will be a lot of awesome vocals, seems like there would be room for them. I don't mind the theme, I only think she's kind of screaming in the beginning. I want to hear Haruna's song! We have to wait until next week. *sigh* I will have fun watching this on the big screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back