Kalafina single "Believe" 19/11/2014

In Every Nothing may have just sold the single for me on first listen (well, it would've sold it if I hadn't ordered it before now) just... wow. I love it. I agree with Cerise, it reminds me a bit of the Petit Cossette main theme, which is good since I love that theme.

lapis reminds me a little of Utsukushisa with that arrangement, but nowhere near as dark. Beautiful singing too.

Happy I bought the single now despite Believe being a huge mess.

Gah... now I really have to show restraint because I want to wait to get my single to listen. Grr... but I want to listen. Must... be patient.

I gave them all a listen and I've now decided that I'll definitely be buying the single (ha! Take that, record labels! Who says music piracy harms sales?! :ohoho:).

Believe: still Kala-by-numbers. Sorry. :bow: If a completely unknown artist had done it, I'd be more impressed but they've done album tracks that are more memorable than that. It's good, but not great.

Lapis: darn, this is one pretty tune, isn't it? The guitar solo is one of those "I wish I'd written that!" moments, and the whole thing is really soothing and pleasant. Top-tier B-side material.

In Every Nothing: woah. There's is the clincher, people. This is why I feel so inclined to break my personal "buy albums, not singles" rule, because I'd be gutted if it's not on an album or live DVD. I won't go on for too long about it, but suffice to say it's one of those songs that reminds me why I'm a fan of their stuff in the first place. Everything about it is great, right down to the little details like the bass riff before the solo. One of the best tunes they've recorded!:hearts:

I must be the only one here who doesn't really like in every nothing. it's one of their 'heavier' song that I can't put on repeat and sadly it's not really memorable. Like it's too heavy that no part of it that get stuck in your head for me. I keep going back to lapis. Some of the guitar melody in lapis came from I swear lol but sadly while it works wonder in I swear it clashes with everything in lapis imo. The 'yasashii ongaku...nureta mabuta ni yoseru' stanza has one of the most beautiful melody lines Kajiura ever created for me.

Nah rit-chan, we're kinda agreeing. I was done with the refrain after 5 seconds - it was so repetitive and underwhelming, not going anywhere. I also feel the song is serenato pop revision 5(?) but it really sounds like a BGM so I'd kinda like the instrumental of it... alas, uh ya, not here. I have to credit Kajiura for differentiating the verses though (on believe as well). Edit: Also I'm not sure if I like how the mix sounds on the whole single... :P

I still really like lapis and it would be a great one if it didn't have that stupid 15 second out of place power-ballad guitar solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
:love:

I like this single, it really represents most of what Kalafina's about. We have a pop-ish song (Believe), a dark/chaotic/trance-y song (In Every Nothing), and a soothing ballad (Lapis). Most of Kalafina's songs can be placed into one of these 3 categories, so it's great for a single to add a song to each. :w00t:

Also, I can't wait to hear them sing Lapis live. It's one of those songs that'll really blow you away if it's performed live.

I would've resisted (I did for Consolation and 5th Live) but I was in desperate need for a new Kalafina song that didn't suck, which is a situation I haven't really had before.

I'll give a reappraisal listen when I get home, but the first listens were very positive and hopefully that'll stick.

^ those who buy from CDJapan try to do it via our affiliate link (newsposts) because equal to 5% of what you pay - product price - goes to the site money (for more details ask Kerahna)
[afaik from this money we got xenforo and we pay for the server]

Grunty-kun! I also think that 'in every nothing' sounds kinda like BGM and I'd like the instrumental of it. I think the song's reffrain gets/feels repetitive because this is the 3rd (or maybe -th) Kalafina song that has this kind of reffrain plus all of the lines ended with -nai, so the repetitiveness is really noticeable. And yes the guitar in lapis... :uh..: it's like Kajiura doesn't know or can't decide what instrument she should use in the song, then she remembered I swear she decided to use e.guitar but sadly it's really out of place.

I really like all the songs. They remind me of the seventh heaven days. IEN has bits from cosette and lacrimosa which work really well for me. Lapis is amazing. Although the guitar solo is out of place, the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Someone said that it reminded then of the velveteen rabbit and I definitively agree. Believe is also decent. I didn't like it too much but the more I listen to it the more enjoyable it becomes. I'm actually impressed by this single. I was expecting disappointment due to Believe being just average but the single is as good as Kimi no gin no niwa.

Beginning to wonder if it might have been better for Lapis's guitar solo to be in the beginning and the ending parts, (it's really a wonderful piece of music, all jazzy and calming) instead of being in the middle where it really comes out of nowhere, like "voice-voice-voice-voice-GUITAR :cheer: SOLO!-voice-voice-voice-voice" Might have been better to have voice all the way to the end, then maybe an ending guitar solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
in every nothing is okay. I prefer tsuiko to this, but it's fine as a Hikaru-led song since her delivery is on point as ever.

lapis is like a lullaby. Very soothing and very easy on the ears. I love this song a lot.

And you know how I love believe too. So overall, I'm happy with this single.

What a pleasant release! Lapis is definitely my favourite, WE NEED MORE KEIKO BALLADS AND LEAD SONGS IN GENERAL :love::dote: I do agree that the guitar solo was a bit ...random........ The style reminded me of Hirigoto , so I think an oboe or bassoon would of been a better instrument for that little rip. The guitar wasn't bad, but it was a bit distracting . Nevertheless, my FAVOURITE SONG in the single! Believe is getting better and better the more I listen to it.

Every in Nothing was probably my least favourite actually. I love Hikaru's lead in the song , the Kajiura jazz and the harmonies. I guess it's the anaphora of the same chorus in the majority of the song . It felt like sernato and Tsuioku's lovechild with a Petite twine. It's a different and good song on a general standard, but with the hype yesterday I was expecting a bit more.

Overall I am VERY tempted to buy this release, weighing my options now!

Yes it is from the PV.
We only saw a floating mask in the short version, the full PV ending has them wearing the laced masks as per album covers.

Back