Yuki Kajiura to compose for "Princess Principal" [6-part movies , part #3 on April 7, 2023]

fair fair but I think Wakana had a more raw and interesting voice (some people call it "angelic" here) than Joelle. I give the same Liminality example every time; Wakana's voice was so touching there... Technique-wise, Joelle's voice is more refined for sure. When I use ">", I meant as an overall impact. or maybe I should state that I thought if Wakana had her original voice, she would have sung that deemo song better than Joelle did. imho.

I don't know why you people started this debate again. Joelle was never meant to be a replacement for WAKANA if you have been to YKL 14 or 15. Sure, she has to sing some WAKANA part in some songs because those songs were written for 4 vocals. It is obvious that ms Kajiura sees her as a younger Emily Bindiger. You can easily tell from the setlist and the way Joelle performed those songs. Joelle was raised in Salt Lake City, US. I assume she sang a lot of religious songs in her childhood. Her career as a Jazz singer is still going as today, which is absolutely a similar career path to Emily Bindiger.
I went to AX2018 and YKL 14, seeing Joelle performing in person was great experience. She is the closest voice Kajiura could find to perform Emily songs in their original form.
So stop comparing Joelle and Wakana. If you really don't like Joelle, compare with Emily. And of course, she's still young in her career compare to Emily.
After all, it has been over 5 years since Kajiura last officially released concert video. I have no complaint at all. By the way, I uploaded the clip.

Just wait for the comparisons if Joelle performs Wakana's parts in Kalafina songs live.

Welcome back to the forum.

Aaaaand THAT (^^^) was the concern I wasn’t going to say anything about as I didn’t want to rekindle that discussion. But I can’t say I wasn’t both interested and a tad worried when that moment would be coming.

But I actually returned to give some input on how the encore went/sounded, since it seems there’s definitely several negative and positive opinions on Miss Mugino’s contribution. I did hear an available chunk of Other Side of the Wall and I had a few “ :ohnoes: ”s, but I heavily enjoyed her with the ladies during the encore. Now her singing the first line wasn’t horrible but her ad-libbing was heavenly to me. I definitely wouldn’t say it was basic while considering the degree of the other vocals in the song; I think it was just enough and especially enjoyed the ending when I’d finally gotten to sit at a PC and see the last of the video.
I got a bit concerned when she went for that high note and seemed to be cut off by the sax because I don’t know if it was editing or she sounded questionable at the peak and they needed to finesse something in. But it definitely had me agreeing with Nightmare on needing a powerhouse, though in honesty I certainly don’t miss Wakana to nearly the same degree.

Last edited:
I don't know why you people started this debate again. Joelle was never meant to be a replacement for WAKANA if you have been to YKL 14 or 15. Sure, she has to sing some WAKANA part in some songs because those songs were written for 4 vocals. It is obvious that ms Kajiura sees her as a younger Emily Bindiger. You can easily tell from the setlist and the way Joelle performed those songs. Joelle was raised in Salt Lake City, US. I assume she sang a lot of religious songs in her childhood. Her career as a Jazz singer is still going as today, which is absolutely a similar career path to Emily Bindiger.
I went to AX2018 and YKL 14, seeing Joelle performing in person was great experience. She is the closest voice Kajiura could find to perform Emily songs in their original form.
So stop comparing Joelle and Wakana. If you really don't like Joelle, compare with Emily. And of course, she's still young in her career compare to Emily.
After all, it has been over 5 years since Kajiura last officially released concert video. I have no complaint at all. By the way, I uploaded the clip.
Or, you know, she's both Wakana's replacement (but better) AND the ideal (but not the only) member to sing Emily songs, while also getting new parts just for her.

Or, you know, she's both Wakana's replacement (but better) AND the ideal (but not the only) member to sing Emily songs, while also getting new parts just for her.
Wakana is unique. Joelle has a different voice and uses different singing techniques. She's just filling some empty rolls in several songs, where used to be Wakana's part. "stone cold" is a good example during LIVE 15. I think Kajiura knows it better than any of us. She wrote a vocal song with a typical vocal style in mind way before she picked the singer. For example, she hasn't asked anyone to cover "where the lights go" yet, that says she knows what's best for that song.
I'm 100% sure Joelle is never meant to replace Wakana when I heard "the world" in LIVE 14. The moment Joelle started singing, I was like "Wait? Is Emily hiding in the backstage? That couldn't be possible!". Anyone who went to LIVE14 would agree with me, I believe.

Talking about the encore collaboration. I think we should see it as a possitive thing. There is a "making of" documentary in the BD. There was a huge effort in rehearsal. It was a good experiment for Kajiura music. It obviously brought different chemistry into this song. Yui Mugino is probably not a typical Kajiura vocalist. And that was exactly the fun part of this collaboration.
Kajiura is still experimenting something new in music at her 50s. That's the message I get from this collaboration.

Talking about the encore collaboration. I think we should see it as a possitive thing. There is a "making of" documentary in the BD. There was a huge effort in rehearsal. It was a good experiment for Kajiura music. It obviously brought different chemistry into this song. Yui Mugino is probably not a typical Kajiura vocalist. And that was exactly the fun part of this collaboration.
Kajiura is still experimenting something new in music at her 50s. That's the message I get from this collaboration.
Did anyone here talk about the encore as a negative thing? o_0

Last edited:
Wakana is unique. Joelle has a different voice and uses different singing techniques. She's just filling some empty rolls in several songs, where used to be Wakana's part. "stone cold" is a good example during LIVE 15. I think Kajiura knows it better than any of us.
I'm not saying she's Wakana 2.0. I'm saying she was invited to join the band to SING THE VOCAL PART THAT A CERTAIN SOPRANO USED TO SING BUT CAN'T ANYMORE BECAUSE SHE'S NOT IN THE BAND ANYMORE, AND ALSO SING NEW STUFF. IN OTHER WORDS, A REPLACEMENT. NOUN, THE ACTION OR PROCESS OF REPLACING SOMEONE OR SOMETHING. THIS IS NOT HARD NO UNDERSTAND.
What is it with Wakana stans and not accepting the fact she was replaced?They act like it's a bad word when it's just reality.

For example, she hasn't asked anyone to cover "where the lights go" yet, that says she knows what's best for that song.
So? She hasn't asked anyone to sing many other songs, both never performed and previously performed.
And considering Wakana's performance on vol 5, she actually should ask someone else.

when I heard "the world" in LIVE 14. The moment Joelle started singing, I was like "Wait? Is Emily hiding in the backstage? That couldn't be possible!". Anyone who went to LIVE14 would agree with me, I believe.
This says more about the state of your ears than anything else, lmao.

I'm not saying she's Wakana 2.0. I'm saying she was invited to join the band to SING THE VOCAL PART THAT A CERTAIN SOPRANO USED TO SING BUT CAN'T ANYMORE BECAUSE SHE'S NOT IN THE BAND ANYMORE, AND ALSO SING NEW STUFF. IN OTHER WORDS, A REPLACEMENT. NOUN, THE ACTION OR PROCESS OF REPLACING SOMEONE OR SOMETHING. THIS IS NOT HARD NO UNDERSTAND.
What is it with Wakana stans and not accepting the fact she was replaced?They act like it's a bad word when it's just reality.

So? She hasn't asked anyone to sing many other songs, both never performed and previously performed.
And considering Wakana's performance on vol 5, she actually should ask someone else.

This says more about the state of your ears than anything else, lmao.
Chill, man. I'm not pointing finger at you and accused you of saying "Joelle is Wakana 2.0".
FJ is never a fixed vocal group. Kajiura has explained it many times. It's her own music + the vocal she wants in the music. I said "Wakana is unique", because she is, so as other vocalists. But there are certain similarities among them. You can surely group them into certain categories. Like Remi could perform Rainbow, because her voice is similar to KOKIA in that song. It doesn't mean Remi is a replacement for KOKIA. As a vocalist, they are simply different.
The word "replacement" is simply not accurately describing what has happened, no matter it's positive or negative. She added Joelle not because she has to always keep 4 vocalists on the stage. Remember LIVE13 when KEIKO was sick? She didn't force to add another person, for example ASUKA, to replace her. It still worked out well without KEIKO.
Similar situation in LIVE 14. Kajiura didn't perform many songs which requires voices like Wakana, or Keiko. She added Joelle because she wanted to perform more English songs originally sang by Emily.

Last edited:
oh.. the conversion Kowzy and I had was perfectly civil. and this is a forum after all; same discussions will come to haunt it time and again.

my opinion is that yes, it is very natural for composer artists to find vocalists that have the appropriate range to sing their songs. Keiko is contralto for example yes? Wakana is a soprano. Kaori, Hikaru, yuuka are all mezzo-sopranos. etc etc.

Joelle is a soprano. So are Remi and Yuriko. With Wakana gone (because so far all evidence says just that : she is gone out of Kajiura's realm), Kajiura appears to be in need of another soprano.

Kajiura does have a mind for music business too you know? She probably intentionally lured Joelle into her gang and quite welcomingly so! Didn't she practically discover Hikaru with Sony ? lol

oh.. the conversion Kowzy and I had was perfectly civil. and this is a forum after all; same discussions will come to haunt it time and again.

my opinion is that yes, it is very natural for composer artists to find vocalists that have the appropriate range to sing their songs. Keiko is contralto for example yes? Wakana is a soprano. Kaori, Hikaru, yuuka are all mezzo-sopranos. etc etc.

Joelle is a soprano. So are Remi and Yuriko. With Wakana gone (because so far all evidence says just that : she is gone out of Kajiura's realm), Kajiura appears to be in need of another soprano.

Kajiura does have a mind for music business too you know? She probably intentionally lured Joelle into her gang and quite welcomingly so! Didn't she practically discover Hikaru with Sony ? lol
I'm not malicious. I love to discuss by sharing my thought. I have expressed my reason why I don't agree with the word "replacement" for Joelle and Wakana.
My understanding of the process is that Kajiura never find a vocalist just because she is soprano or contralto. It's more based on the characteristics of voices. For example, I mentioned above, Remi is a replacement for KOKIA in Rainbow because they share similar voices in that particular song. Joelle in LIVE 14, in my opinion, was not typically in a soprano role. Actually her range was closer to Kaori. Yes, Joelle can sing low key as well.
My point is Joelle and Wakana are in different dimensions. They are simply not comparable. "Replacement" is an over-simplied word to describe the whole situation. It is a loss without Wakana. Joelle is great add to Kajiura family. But it's not a transimisive equation.
Whenver you get a chance, go to a YKL. You will get what I say.

Joelle worked for Kajiura back in 2016 as the original theme song singer for LORD. I wasn't surprised she would join YKL one day. Just didn't expect she would stay that long and became a formal(?) member.

I'm not malicious. I love to discuss by sharing my thought. I have expressed my reason why I don't agree with the word "replacement" for Joelle and Wakana.
You re-registered on the forum 4 months after Sudrien's Christmas apocalypse just to start with singling out "THE OTHERS"
I don't know why you people started this debate again.
and followed with your "FACTS", not opinions, because they are obvious "if you have been to YKL"
if you have been to YKL 14 or 15.
and continued giving a lecture.

At least that's how it read to me.

I didn't get into it because the Wakana boat has long sailed so there's no point other than "nostalgia".

I give up.
Me too because...

I didn't get into it because the Wakana boat has long sailed so there's no point other than "nostalgia".
...from a tiny spark may burst a mighty flame.

Imagine debating why the movie delayed back should be released in Autumn and not in April/May like HF3, lol.
Btw, the movie is getting new music or they're just reusing the released one??

Imagine debating why the movie delayed back should be released in Autumn and not in April/May like HF3, lol.

There's no telling when HF3 comes out until it actually does. :D
Just because it has a date...

Don't tell me you think I'm holding on the Wakana boat and wouldn't let go.🤨 It's the opposite ok?
I don't know.
I do think you felt some type of way about Wakana, Joelle, Kajiura and CPM to re-register and address users here the way I mentioned in my post.
All because of the implication that Joelle "replaced" Wakana in (what appears to be the) REGULAR live vocal lineup and people were discussing both their voices/performances and their preferences in the same posts.

But then there's your implication that Joelle was only invited to Kajiura's lives because "She is the closest voice Kajiura could find to perform Emily songs in their original form". "Their original form"? And you had a problem with people going on about Wakana and Joelle's voices?
You just compared Joelle to Emily yourself. But it's okay because??? You just called Remi a replacement for KOKIA in Rainbow because she apparently has a similar voice (she does not). But it's okay because???

Because you go to lives and it's "obvious"?
I found that condescending to everyone you were addressing.

Or maybe I'm just reading into it so no offence. I'm grumpy after all.

Anyways to end on a different note:
For example, she hasn't asked anyone to cover "where the lights go" yet, that says she knows what's best for that song.
This is true so far. Other than "stone cold", I guess, there have been no original Wakana lead songs in the live setlists so far (2 tours with mostly the same songs as the first 13 tours). It might happen or it might not. We'll see. We do however have confirmation of Kalafina songs in the future, whether the Kalafina picks will be Wakana lead songs or not, time will tell.

One might wonder though why we got a newsletter with Kajiura writing in detail how she is going to incorporate Kalafina songs into her solo lives in the future. Kajiura FELT THE NEED to explain herself a year in advance about that. Now isn't that fascinating?

Last edited:
Back