Yuki Kajiura to compose for "FSN Heaven's Feel" movies [standalone OST March 27/2024, UBW/HF concert on 21-22/9/24]

#35 Wow, I'm so late to the party :P
DigginMyOwnGrave.png

Positive points:
- the dark immersive atmosphere (the immersion is strong after only some seconds into the first track, and then Yuri delivers us some terrifying notes... one can instantly tell that it's not gonna be your average anime music)
- the singular music style of this trilogy (couldn't be much compared to other works even Fate/Zero from the same franchise)

Negative points:
- silences and SFX... silence happens to be necessary sometimes but maybe too much? I mean, I'm Justisamuel lol
- string festival: ruins everything from the epic moments where -I think- it could have been counterbalanced by soaring brass, to the tragic moments where it could have been softened to bring more emotions

Living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, but here's what I want:
- Kajiura to compose in a more orchestral way (Xenosaga era, Fate/Zero era, even SAO S1 era) cuz yeah, I'm not so much into the nowadays Kajiura ("to destroy the evil", "the four rings" would sound so much better if well orchestrated)
- Not only a Standalone of all 3 movies, but an Ongakushuu with suites like she did with Kara no Kyoukai, cuz there is enough material to gather.

Living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, but here's what I want:
- Kajiura to compose in a more orchestral way (Xenosaga era, Fate/Zero era, even SAO S1 era) cuz yeah, I'm not so much into the nowadays Kajiura ("to destroy the evil", "the four rings" would sound so much better if well orchestrated)
Meanwhile I'm sitting here hoping for more electronica and more techno opera...

Yeah, I don't think orchestral stuff is Kajiura's forte. I would rather Kajiura "downgrades" to a strings quartet and use the rest of the money on other instruments.

Not even strings quartet, just a violin would be plenty as i ve said before that her melodies sound better when played by a single violin / viola / cello

Iunno.

Maybe the Kimetsu orchestral concert will be a decent indication of what a different arranger/orchestrator would do with modern Kajiura strings+choir tracks.

Will it be different all around or just a bigger wall of strings and percussion?
And if it's different, will I still think it's "Kajiura"? Will I still like it?

I figure there is a reason why I got interested in Kajiura's tracks (and stuck with 'er despite not enjoying new OSTs as much as the old) and it also has something to do with Kajiura being in charge of everything.*

I'm still in the mindset that the first thing that should change is the recording and mixing engineer/s... We've not had a break from TK since RHH and Hanako to An.

Alas, we know Kajiura likes to keep people around...

* Looking at the credits, Hiromitsu Ishikawa has served as the assistant/(strings) score support for Kajiura since Xenosaga 3... I presume that means he's helping out with arrangements for the strings. (Live arranger for Kalafina strings, too.) Rude as that sounds - that could explain a lot. Considering what we think of those strings, maybe we'd welcome a change too...
On the other hand, he was also serving the same role on Magia Record and I didn't have as much of an issue with strings there so there still has to be something of the different composers in there.
It is a mystery.

Obviously the solution is less strings and more electronica. ;P

Last edited:
her electronica tracks slash techno opera tracks are the one that made me fall in love with her years ago. i really wish she would go back to that root of her. i know she knew this because her classics are almost all on this genre AND she performed those songs a lot in her lives but idk why she hasn't really composed anything in this genre since like 2011 :(

I think Kajiura still has IT, but she’s been stuck in franchise hell for the last 10 years and she’s been working with the same sound director pretty consistently. She just needs new people and projects to freshen things up.

And to be fair, Alicization had a pretty good ost, as did HF trilogy, so maybe she just got a second wind

I don't think we're doubting she has IT. Like you said Alicization exists and we're all still here. ;p

I made some rips of those 2 non-CD tracks from the movie and I really don't know why "she tells about the Holy Grail" is different.
Is the movie version supposed to be the original one (and Kajiura updated it for CD) or did they edit the CD version to create the movie one? I don't know why they would bother with editing it because the scene sounds perfectly fine with the CD version as is. (Included mockup audio for the kick of it.)

If anyone cares, here's the mega:
Code:
file/VlZ2QBhb#jliRT326X3jRoHK4DM6vF4MnX2CdfDvHyx36QLT7RMk
"cpm"

There's nothing I can do to have the intro sound good in 5.1 mix of haru wa yuku. :|

Damn them for starting the song during the movie.

Not sure if this is reminiscent in the full track or if it has already happened in other Kajiura tracks:
Does anyone else notice a very distant melody in the last seconds of "spring has come" (starting at 2:06)?
Sounds like a high school alarm or whatever.

Not sure if this is reminiscent in the full track or if it has already happened in other Kajiura tracks:
Does anyone else notice a very distant melody in the last seconds of "spring has come" (starting at 2:06)?
Sounds like a high school alarm or whatever.
I hear something like "tuktuktuktuktuk" at exactly 2:03.

I mean, I can hear it after amplifying but who knows what it is. Mebe they took the ending from another track since in the movie it continues straight into Haru wa yuku.

I finally saw the movie, and I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what just happened. It went way way over my head. However, I really enjoyed Haru wa Yuku in context at the end, just like with the other 2 EDs at the end of the movies.

Back