What do you use to listen music?

M

mf4361

computer speaker? headphone? earphone? professional hi-fi setup (LOL) ?

I use in-ear earphone that I usually use on ipod. Sometimes hurts my ear after few hours of music bombardment. I also use a ipod speaker when no one else is at home.
Can't wait to try my new headphone arriving this week !!

You should be careful of the earphones, not only high volume reduces hearing but also the long durations you listen to the music. I personally have stopped listen to music with earphones/headphones almost a year now, I use my PC and a sound system (not professional but pretty good :dote: ) that we have in the living room, to listen to music.

also I have oblivious in my mobile phone as ring tone, if that counts.

:omg: :omg: OMG!!! A topic so close to my heart! :shy: :XD: :dote:

(I had the intent to post this thread...just.. not so soon...Oh wells.. :cry: )

Currently, I'm not using the best setup possible (apart from keeping well within budget) to listen to my tunes (including the wonderful stuff by Kajiura-san).

Casual Listening: iTunes 10 (Windows version) -> SRS Premium Sound (DSP) -> Sennheiser HD600 (stock)

Critical listening: same as the above except I use Audacity 1.3b in place of iTunes.

Tunes: Mainly 16/44.1 lossless AIFF CD-rips. VBR mp3s for the ones I've yet to buy (and the sound quality of MP3s are gawd-awful...).

Comments on this setup: Pretty good definition on 16/44.1. BUT the soundstage is very narrow and not very stable. Lacks overall refinement. Low level details are missing and overall not very dynamic sounding. Slightly textured sound with fairly decent amounts of attack.

The best setup I've heard Kajiura-san's music sound so far:
iTunes 10 (Mac version) -> Digidesign Pro Tools|HD (suite: including DSP, interface and 24-channel mixer) -> Mackie Big Knob -> Focal/JM Lab Twin 6 Be (stereo pair) + stabilised standmounts + room treatment

Comments: Pretty good on most fronts (refinement, extension, dynamics, detail, definition, voicing) except bass extension and texturing.

At home, I usually use PC speaker. I use itunes (also to sync my ipod).

When I go to somewhere, I usually use ipod and headset....

:XD:

I don't really understand about sound system...

I mainly use my computer speakers and iTunes to play the songs with, but occasionaly I will listen to my iHome when no is home as well. heh I like blasting songs like Kyrie with it. :dote: I also use headphones, but I am trying not to use them too much, as just as George said it is bad for my ears. And I can't go without listening to music in the car when I am driving, but of course not too loud. heh

so far everyone is using iTunes...but I only use it to sync iPod. I use foobar2000 to play music, works great for MP3, AAC and Flac :)

As for using headphones, I understand the potential harm so I'll let my ear rest for a while after some time.

I use all three of them.... :confu:

At home, I mostly use speakers, whether it be pc speakers or home theater speakers... then, sometimes headphones... :confu:

When I'm somewhere else... I use headphones for playing music from my psp, or sometimes earphones, when I choose to play music from my cellphone, which is more frequent than with psp... Well, I don't have an iPod so I use any gadget I have to listen to music... :uh..:

And I don't have iTunes.... :XD: I only use windows' default media player... :blood:

:confu: May I ask... What differences are there to iTunes and other players, other than the fact iTunes can sync music from your iPod??? :confu:

IMO, iTunes is so far among the worse music players I've ever used. It's slow, it take a lot of ram. I rmb one time it backs up music in a way that it screws up all my directory in music library and I had to use my backup to reset it.
I use foobar2k mostly because it's light, fast and handles almost all formats. I reckon Windows media player are also nice (with beautiful themes too) , just a bit slow.

I can't tell the difference between these players while playing the same file, using the same headphone/speaker. It's all your preference after all.

When I'm in my dorm room, I use earphones when people are around. But when they're not, I just use my computer speakers. I also use earphones when I'm listening to my iPod touch.

I use iTunes on my computer to listen to music. I'm not particularly picky about what player I use, so it works for me.

At home I just listen to music using my laptop speakers, unless I'm recording in which case I sometimes use earphones :XD:

Re:

mf4361 said:
IMO, iTunes is so far among the worse music players I've ever used. It's slow, it take a lot of ram. I rmb one time it backs up music in a way that it screws up all my directory in music library and I had to use my backup to reset it.
I use foobar2k mostly because it's light, fast and handles almost all formats. I reckon Windows media player are also nice (with beautiful themes too) , just a bit slow.

I can't tell the difference between these players while playing the same file, using the same headphone/speaker. It's all your preference after all.
Ah... I see... Thanks a lot! :sohappy:

normally iTunes/foobar + a cheap headset on PC. or an iPod Nano.

i really want noise canceling Headphone :TdT:

but last time I can't afford it... :touched:

Re:

Moonlight04 said:
:confu: May I ask... What differences are there to iTunes and other players, other than the fact iTunes can sync music from your iPod??? :confu:

Plenty.

iTunes, IMO, is certainly not the best sounding player around (irrelevant on most of the setups involved here based on the responses so far). I just use it because of the powerful user interface (it makes more sense to me than Foobar). This is how I use iTunes...

screenie-itunes.png

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my playback methods (ideally with a DAC and headphone amp first). Afterwhich, my intent is to move on to J River Media Centre so that it will output in a bit-true stream to my external decoders and amplifier.

When in Windows direct stream (K-mixer) mode, I foudn that iTunes also works best for me in terms of sound quality. Others like Foobar, Monkey's Audio, etc don't work as well in DS/K-mixer mode except for WASAPI or Kernel stream...

OK....guess I got a little carried away there...

But those who want to know more can always PM me for my MSN or if there are enough responses, I can start a separate thread to discuss using computers for hifi music playback (and yes, Kajiura-san's music really can benefit greatly from such upgrades)...

Ah... Ok... I think I'm a little confuse of which music player is better, but thank you for explaining... :plz: it is very much appreciated... :bow:

I noticed a common fallacy about headphones here...

ANYTHING, regardless whether is it in-ear monitors (IEMs), earbud type earspeakers, headphones, home theatre speakers or even PA speakers... so long as you play them ridiculously loud over an extended period of time, you will suffer from hearing loss or ear-related injuries.

A good guideline is to keep the volume at conversation level and that should do it for most people who do listen to things on an extended run basis. Adequate hearing protection should also be observed when attending live events.

Speaking of which, I hope YK's vocalists and musicians have all gotten proper personal (isolated) monitors for use on stage. The last thing I would want to see is the FJ or Kalafina girls suffer from hearing loss at such a tender age...

Re:

Moonlight04 said:
Ah... Ok... I think I'm a little confuse of which music player is better, but thank you for explaining... :plz: it is very much appreciated... :bow:

No problems... Just go with whatever your heart tells you is good enough for you. In some cases (like me), I choose user interface over outright sound quality for casual listening. Only when I'm doing critical listen will I switch to something else that is much much more complicated (but sounds very very good).

I mostly listen to music on the road, so I use earphones.
And if we speak about mobile tunes, I set KnK7-M40/Guess How Much I Love You for the calls and KnK6-Track16 for SMS. :XD:

because i'll do anything just to bring music with me..XD uh.. Earphones via mp3, phone's speakers, headset, pc speakers, TV speakers, diskman (wow.. Oldies ).. XDD

Back