Wakana solo career

Wow. What a beautiful song! I can't wait for the full version. Yeah, I like Tsubasa, but not sure if I'll like this version, from what I see of people's posts. (I can't play it since it's not mp3) It's a good song to relax too or even drift off to sleep, but her low notes are really good, almost like her original voice. Sure she's still a little shaky, but this is her first solo single and album, so maybe she needs time to singing solo since she just started after 10 years of singing in a group. I know it would throw me off. Anyways, just preordered and great job Wakana! Ganbatte!

Now thinking of it it reminds me of Hikari furu a little, but I like this song waaaaay better. She's a lot more confident.

Sure she's still a little shaky, but this is her first solo single and album, so maybe she needs time to singing solo since she just started after 10 years of singing in a group. I know it would throw me off.

Lol what ? 😅 She has been solo singer before Kalafina or slitely after it! Hikari no Yukue, Paradise Regained, Pandora Hearts Expanded, Bloody Rabbit, Preparation, Land of water etc, not to mention that in more than half of the songs in Kalafina there is herself singing solo.

So no excuses from me. 🙂

Last edited:
There were revealed the details of Wakana’s appearance on “Bokura no Ongaku”
Air date: February 28 19:00-20:00

it was confirmed that Wakana will be performing three songs during this episode:

Toki wo Koeru Yoru ni
Tsubasa
Yuki Maboroshi -winter dust (a cover of Takanori Nishikawa’s song)

There will be also a talk session with the hosts.

http://otn.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/917200130.html

Lol what ? 😅 She has been solo singer before Kalafina or slitely after it! Hikari no Yukue, Paradise Regained, Pandora Hearts Expanded, Bloody Rabbit, Preparation, Land of water etc, not to mention that in more than half of the songs in Kalafina there is herself singing solo.

So no excuses from me. 🙂
Couldn’t agree more. No excuses whatsoever. And to GIVE her excuses is just offensive IMO. She’s an artist— she’s expected to deliver her top game. The recording honestly sounds like a one-hit recording- no effort was made to perfect the vocals. If I was in the recording studio and I heard that playback I’d definitely look into re-recording certain parts.

Full radio rips of both songs are now on putschki's tumblr.

I can't really comment too much of how she sings just from lack of knowledge, but she does sound kind of shaky. Still, I absolutely enjoy Tsubasa. Kinda wish this was her debut song tbh. I think she also sings more in her lower range in this song? I always enjoyed when she did so in Kalafina/FJ.

TwKYn is not bad but it's pretty boring to me. The transition between the verses and the chorus kinda blends a bit (like no real buildup) and it doesn't stick in my mind even after a few listens. Though, to be fair, this isn't really the kind of music I like in general.

I wish Wakana the best with this single.

Couldn’t agree more. No excuses whatsoever. And to GIVE her excuses is just offensive IMO. She’s an artist— she’s expected to deliver her top game. The recording honestly sounds like a one-hit recording- no effort was made to perfect the vocals. If I was in the recording studio and I heard that playback I’d definitely look into re-recording certain parts.

Tbh I feel that since 2014 nearly all Kalafina related recording where they have no overlapping parts were done in one take. Wakana's slight hiccup on believe's 2nd chorus, the whole Mahiru, Haru wo Matsu, the list pretty much goes on. Even if they're too lazy to re-record there was also no effort to smoothen their vocals or in this case, pitch correction on the part where she was flat. And this trend goes on even on Wakana's solo debut. So sad.

On the bright side, she's actually improving compared to her Kalafina days. At least she no longer sings flat the whole song or being permanently/most time off key. And technically tons of solo singers in Japan are even worse than Wakana so yeah all the best to Miss Wakana on her solo endeavour.

I still miss Keiko so much though ugh what's she doing now

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Tsubasa is ok but Toki and especially Ito sound very bland and boring to me. Based on these few samples, I’m not impressed with Shusui and Dannvik. But I can tell that a warmer, more conventional style suits Wakana’s personality more than some of the crazy Signal type stuff Yuki was having her do. I just wish she would find more talented and inspired songwriters and producers to work with. I still have a strong emotional attachment to her voice.

Well this will be off topic but hey. Triggered, lol.
But I can tell that a warmer, more conventional style suits Wakana’s personality more than some of the crazy Signal type stuff Yuki was having her do.
"crazy stuff" Yuki was having her do? Yucoming for signal and Yuki like dis. Please.
Wakana was only doing backing vocals there and Aaahs that weren't even the best Aaahs in the song.
And Yuki didn't force her to sing it live if it hurt her voice.

And she had plenty of "warmer" "more conventional" things provided by Kajiura.

I didn’t mean crazy as in batshit 8 Songs for a Mad King crazy, I meant songs that don’t sound like they would fit in the movie Titanic. And I bet if you asked Wakana, she would say she liked Titanic songs better than Signal.

I didn’t mean crazy as in batshit 8 Songs for a Mad King crazy, I meant songs that don’t sound like they would fit in the movie Titanic. And I bet if you asked Wakana, she would say she liked Titanic songs better than Signal.
Fair enough. Good luck to Wakana singing stuff like that one Titanic song.

I agree, I love both Yuki’s more quirky music and the more mainstream sounding songs (Maybe Tomorrow) way better than any diva hits or the songwriting factory stuff that Shusui and Dannvik are cranking out. I’m just guessing that when Wakana relaxes at the end of the day in front of the fire with a Hibiki highball and her dog at her feet, she probably prefers to cue up Maybe Tomorrow on the gramophone rather than say Ship of Fools or Magia.

https://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/-/News/A026394/7.html

ファーストアルバム『Wakana』 3/20(水)リリース決定 & ニュービジュアルも公開!

“Kalafina”(カラフィナ)の“Wakana“が、2月6日(水)にビクターエンタテインメント移籍ソロデビューシングル『時を越える夜に』をリリースするのに続き、早くも3月20日(水)に、自身のアーティスト名を冠したファーストアルバム『Wakana』をリリースすることが決定しました。そして新たなアーティスト写真と、アルバムのジャケット写真も公開されました。

ソロシンガーとしての決意表明の意味合いで名付けられたファーストアルバム『Wakana』には、Shusuiとスウェーデンの作曲家・Anders Dannvikが共作したソロデビューシングルの「時を越える夜に」、シングルにはライブバージョンが収録された、武部聡志作曲/編曲の「翼」スタジオレコーディングバージョンをはじめ、Wakanaのボーカルの魅力を存分に表現した全10曲(予定)が収録されます。そして作家陣も、前出のShusui、武部聡志をはじめ、シンガーソングライターの安藤裕子、MISIAの「Everything」などを手がけた松本俊明、中島美嘉の名曲「雪の華」の作詞/作曲コンビSatomi/松本良喜など、実力派の面々が参加しています。

CDは通常盤のほか、「時を越える夜に」ミュージックビデオとメイキング映像を収録したDVD付きの初回限定盤A。高音質のSHM-CD(Super Hyper Media CD)仕様で、全曲インストゥルメンタルを収録したボーナスディスク付き2枚組で、全12ページLPサイズ撮り下ろしフォトブックと、ジャケット写真ビジュアルB2ポスターを封入した、豪華LPサイズジャケット仕様の初回限定盤Bの、バラエティに富んだ全3形態となります。ジャケット写真はすべて別のビジュアルになりますので、是非3種類とも手に取って頂きたいです。シングルのビジュアルが夕方をイメージしていたのに対し、アルバムビジュアルは、白い鳥柄のワンピースに身を包んだWakanaが水辺に佇む、夜明けをイメージした美しい仕上がりになっています。アーティスト写真、アルバムジャケット写真3種類ともにチェックしてください。

A026394-0-7-0-1-WdwyROvywk.jpg

【新アーティスト写真】

A026394-0-7-0-2-YUiDitSRnt.jpg

【初回限定盤Aジャケット写真】

A026394-0-7-0-3-QshjYMIlfY.jpg

【初回限定盤Bジャケット写真】

A026394-0-7-0-4-KHfZuwUURc.jpg

【通常盤ジャケット写真】

I like the color scheme of the covers but I really don't see the purpose of the one with mirror on the ground... For what? Random aesthetic reflection purpose? The covers are basically the same with the single version sans the sepia-ish filtering.

I would've liked the SHCD/"B" cover if the dress was longer/more flowy on that wind. Now it just looks like Wakana is pregnant and wearing oversized outfits, lulz.

Also, considering how fast they are rolling this album out I guess there really is no hope for better editing on her vocals than the single. Poop.

Last edited by a moderator:
She sang a cover of "Ito" at some radio show. Singing was fine (it's an easy song) except the jumps at the end of each refrain completely killed the soft and peaceful mood of the song.

Back