Sword Art Online (SAO: P)

Just finished watching episode 2, so here's my music analysis:

1. Likely synthesized percussion only, no real tone-based musical elements

Drums are used in a specific way; the main drum hit is at the beginning of every four beats, followed by a quieter series of hits to link each main hit

This track seems to serve mainly to underscore tension or provide an element of "concentration", but has similar construction to previous tracks such as Evacuation from F/Z OST

2. Percussion, what sounds like bongos or a similar instrument this time, with a synth element of musical tone

Percussion is once again utilized specifically, with somewhat rhythmless "drumrolls" standing out over a relatively calm background

Again, this track serves to underscore tension; however, it gives off more of a "stand-off" feeling than the previous one

3. Timpanic and drum percussion below horns (likely synthesized) that play the main chords

Drums are military-style, with rolls and accenting timpani hits; horns do not have a melody, but play specific chords

This track has tension, but its main mood is one of grim military preparation, without much emotion

4. A violin and viola playing the same melody in both a lower and upper octave

The melody here is relatively simple with a Celtic flair, reminiscent of Elemental Gelade tracks such as Skip to Midori to Kaze to

This track carries little to no mood thanks to its short playing time and extremely simple melody, but something tells me it might segue into a more complicated arrangement with percussion and perhaps flute

5. Solo harp, likely synthesized

While the use of harp is unconventional, the melody bears much resemblance to those normally played on solo piano; however, the harp lends it freshness and the melody is again faintly Celtic

This track carries regret and loneliness as its main themes

6. Faintly discordant synth underscored by synth drums and cymbals

The cymbals and techno beat bring out the somewhat "delayed" synthesized melody

This track is shockingly similar to some used in the Double Cast OST, what with its entirely synthesized array of instruments; it also is hard to find emotion in it due to its discordant melody

7. Double vocal melody (Hanae or Eri) with guitar, strings and synthesized rhythm accompaniment

The vocals begin the track with subdued accompaniment; next they skip up an octave to a different melody while the accompaniment swells in response, and at last end as the strings begin a similarly Celtic theme

This track has a surprisingly confident feeling thanks to the vocal and strings melody; its Celtic motif is also quite refreshing despite the classic arrangement

8. Discordant strings

The strings play a fast-paced and extremely discordant melody line in tight harmonies

This track conveys the image of horror and panic as per its use in the show

9. Slow strings leading into percussion and strings

The strings play a slow and straightforward melody line, with undercutting harmonies complicating the piece; then heavy percussion begins to count a faster tempo and the strings continue their melody line more quickly in response

This track conveys the image of tragedy as per its use in the show, but its chord progression has been used quite a few times in the past, most notably in Rule the Battlefield; this impression of a reworked piece doesn't quite disappear during the faster section

10. Tokyo Konsei, percussion and strings

This being the trailer music, we all know how it goes by now XD

This track still holds tone, arrangement and chord similarities to Point Zero for me, although its simple melody bears no resemblance; it still conveys the image of epic battle, however

11. Percussion

This track seems to be the same as #2

12. Solo cello

The cello plays alone in a minor key on its own tempo, ending on an extremely low note

This track is extremely similar to those used in KnK, Madoka, and F/Z OSTs, so it's lost a bit of its punch by now for me

13. Solo harp, likely synthesized

This track seems to be the same as #5

Not going to openly judge the tracks until I hear them in their entirety~

Thanks Niney! For your interpretation of the style of music :sohappy:
It's always nice to listen to other people impression of the style of the music cause everyone would probably have different outputs after listening to a certain piece of music :dote:

Whoah Niney u must have studied music theory to a really high level!? :sparkleguy:

Yes, I will not really say much on the new tracks since they are so short, but I will say that I loved the vocal song when Asuna was revealed during the fight. Probably my favorite so far. :dote: I was thinking so much of Fate/Zero during the trailer music though. I am still loving it. The series is okay, the main character I am beginning to not like very much. I liked him at first but now he's kind of ehh.

Thank you niney :bow:
Gonna listen to it again to find out more about the music :)
Btw, about the 2nd and future episodes music and plot, I won't say anything for a while b/c I know my opion this time is very biased, partly b/c of the interferences (family issues) this whole morning. From what I can see, I may have to leave CPM if this turns worse. Gotta calm down first ...

^ :swt: make sure to submit your b-d stuff before if something happens. Hope eventhing turns out okay though.

@ niney: thanks you!
that analysis is nice and surely gives more info about the music. :sohappy:

I saw the new episode. It was quite beautiful, but a lot of things were cut from the side story this episode was based on. I think this means it will be a 13 episode series instead of the 26 wormie told me it was going to be. On the one hand, I'm thrilled SAO is an anime. On the other, I wish it was longer, since this episode could have been two.

I'm conflicted. :uh..:

^ the fact that the 2nd episode was rushed doesnt necessarily mean it will be 13 episodes series unless the same happens with 1-2 next episodes too, since it might had been that direcotr wanted to skip that part. So far we knew it would be around 25, so why change now?

ANN has 13 but it was the same for Fate/Zero which got the second half 1 season later. and ANN n]made a separate page for the second half...

Re:

george1234 said:
^ the fact that the 2nd episode was rushed doesnt necessarily mean it will be 13 episodes series unless the same happens with 1-2 next episodes too, since it might had been that direcotr wanted to skip that part. So far we knew it would be around 25, so why change now?

ANN has 13 but it was the same for Fate/Zero which got the second half 1 season later. and ANN n]made a separate page for the second half...
George is absolutely right :shy:

Miracles do happen! Imagine at episode 13 when the series finishes and then it is announced! Winter Anime SAO season 2! Something like that happen to Fate/Zero too XD :shy:

on the second episode, the music during the death of the blue-haired beta tester is very similar to "rule the battlefield"... very similar :ohoho:

^ Agreed! Since this is a new style for YK, it's not unpleasant, but it's surprising that she repeated it so soon :uh..:

Re:

Kowz said:
I think it´s Wakana, but it also kinda sounds like Fion.

The battle theme sounds really JRPG-ish. I like it. :dote:
From Yuki's twitter,it is said that the vocal is REMI,SoundHorizon's REMI. :dote:

What? :O No way!

if its true then I'm :sohappy:

Oh right she does says that

そう!実は、ソードアートオンラインの歌ものBGMは、SoundHorizonさんでもご活躍のREMIさんに歌って頂いております。二話の戦闘シーンでも流れましたね。いつかご一緒にお仕事させて頂けたらとずっと思っていたので、とても嬉しいレコーディングでした。 #sao_anime

本当に変幻自在な美しいお声で、実際レコーディングさせて頂いてますますほれぼれ致しました (〃∇〃)ポッ 。勿論1曲だけではなく何曲か録らせて頂きましたので、今後も作品共々お楽しみ頂けたら。REMIさん本当にありがとうございました〜!ヽ(*^^*)ノ

https://twitter.com/Fion0806/status/225058071951577088
https://twitter.com/Fion0806/status/225058963195039744

She also says she has recorded a number of songs with her, not only one.
For confirmation, isnt Remi the soprano girl in the Triumph DVD?

Fion0806 said:
そう!実は、ソードアートオンラインの歌ものBGMは、SoundHorizonさんでもご活躍のREMIさんに歌って頂いております。二話の戦闘シーンでも流れましたね。いつかご一緒にお仕事させて頂けたらとずっと思っていたので、とても嬉しいレコーディングでした。 #sao_anime
https://twitter.com/Fion0806/status/225058071951577088

本当に変幻自在な美しいお声で、実際レコーディングさせて頂いてますますほれぼれ致しました (〃∇〃)ポッ 。勿論1曲だけではなく何曲か録らせて頂きましたので、今後も作品共々お楽しみ頂けたら。REMIさん本当にありがとうございました〜!ヽ(*^^*)ノ
https://twitter.com/Fion0806/status/225058963195039744
So! By the way, speaking of the singer in Sword Art Online's BGM, Sound Horizon's REMI sang for me even though she's busy. It plays in the second episode's battle scene. I really thought someday I wanted to work with her, and it was a very happy recording session.

With her truly enchanting voice, the recording session we did was just charming. Of course, since that wasn't the only song we did and there are others, let's listen to the work from now on. REMI-san, really thank you very much!

Thanks for the translation niney! :sohappy:

Info about her found in whitecrow http://sh-whitecrow.com/the-fantasy-band/
REMI

REMI is one of the main singers from the second “era” of Sound Horizon. She has taken part in a lot of “free collaborations” for animes like Naruto, GANTZ or Jigoku Shoujo.

She has a very special operatic voice, although very light and similar to a mezzo-soprano. Some roles she has played in SH are Reine Michèle (Roman), Trin (Seisen no Iberia), and Myu (Moira).
Appears in

Shonen wa Tsurugi wo…
Dreamport

Roman
Moira
Seisen no Iberia
Märchen

Oh cool. I've listened to some SH songs before and i really liked her voice.

It's good that Yuki is working with a different singer.

Yuki, please hire Emi Evans and/or Yucca :shy:

Back