Song Lyrics cliches

george1234

So I spotted an article on ANN while I was looking for opinions on the new SAO CM with Aoi Eir's song .

According to the article the most common phrases in japanese love songs are:

1. "[You're] not alone" ("Hitori janai") tops the poll with 20.6% of the vote.
2. "I want to protect you" ("Kimi-wo mamoritai," 15.6%)
3. "I won't let go of those hands" ("Sono te-wo hanasanai," 8.4%)
4. "If [we] could go back to those days" ("Ano koro-ni modoretara," 7.3%)
5. "I called your name" ("Kimi-no namae-wo yonda," 6.7%)
6. "A feeling I can't express" ("Todokanai omoi," 6.7%)

In Yuki's lyrics the song where one of these phrases shine is "sprinter" with "Im calling your name"
and "Kimi ni aitai" which is probably also a cliche phrase I see alot.

#2 and #3 is very common in OPs of action anime

:ayashii:

Nice comment from this thread
If these lyrics are so cliche and cheesy, why do I still cry whenever Homura or Madoka say them? D:

Last edited:
^ so much true, especially in this one:

itsumo no yoru ga kagayaki hajimeru
kimi wo mamoritai
hitorijanai
kokoro de yuku... mirai

lololol... any other song by Yuki where two or more of these cliche lyrics are found?

I think there's a misconception that clichés are necessarily bad things. The reason phrases or words become cliché is becayse they're over-used, but that's probably partly because they're effective at conveying the message/idea (hence why they become over-used). So yes, clichés might become boring, watered down etc. over time, but when they are used or done well, and placed at the right moment in a fitting situation, they can still pack a beautiful emotional punch. Like, even though those cliché lines are repeated over and over in sprinter, they've never come across as cheesy to me, in light of the rest of the song and it's KnK context

Back