Rules about swearing

Should we have a rule against swearing in the forum?

• Yes

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Kerahna

Administrator
I received a suggestion to make rules against swearing in the forum. There are arguments for and against doing so, so I want to see what the majority prefers.

Please post your comments/suggestions!

I think that since swearing isn't used by too many people around here it would be too much to create them just for a certain someone. If people that are swearing get too many we can make some at that time.

Re:

george1234 said:
I think that since swearing isn't used by too many people around here it would be too much to create them just for a certain someone. If people that are swearing get too many we can make some at that time.

I think its smarter to prevent the problem than letting it happen first and only then go after the solution. Second, one person is alredy too many for some people.

Also i believe a lot of misunderstanding could be avoided if ppl used proper language instead of swearing. Not everyone has a minimum social common sense(aka were properly raised by their parents) and wont change their foul language unless there is a rule like that around.

Ohh, a mod breaking the rules about passive-aggressive attacks. With such good inspiration, this forum's conduct will soar.

On Note: How would you implement something with such subjectivity? What do you class as swearing? Will you release a list of words that are unacceptable to use? Is there a multiple chance policy for slip-ups, for example three vulgarities and you're out? What about words that some people consider swearing - such as "damn" - but other people don't?

Very vague rule.

It's not like I don't have other words to compliment my vernacular, so I don't care either way. I just use crass language for emphasis.

Re:

Kobalos said:
Ohh, a mod breaking the rules about passive-aggressive attacks. With such good inspiration, this forum's conduct will soar.

Where did you saw the passive aggressiveness, I just mentioned a fact without mentioning you directly. Good job attacking someone that doesn't think of the suggested rules as necessary atm, unless you want me to change opinion, which will result in the (even more) sure creation of the said rules.

If you can't actually spot a passive-aggressive attack, maybe you shouldn't make a rule against them? Edit: I wasn't even talking about you in the first place.

Like I said, it's not like my verbosity will be limited in any way by rules against swearing, it'll just inhibit emphasis.

There's no right option for me to vote. As it is, I'm voting NO and calling upon you for reflection.

I do agree that people should not swear at each other but it's just wrong to make a rule forbidding "swearing in general".
Next thing we'll be limited to post from a drop-box of pre written sentences and the site will be decorated with crosses all over.

I think the issue, whatever it is, could and should be resolved with moderation discretion, rather than making such rule... Especially since I think we all know the motivation behind the many requests Kera received.

With all due respect folks, nobody here is a child; I think members of this forum should leave petty rivalries to rest, stop picking on each other, and stop having biased opinions. Everything can be solved with respect, good will and some good judgement.

:tea:

Re:

Kobalos said:
Edit: I wasn't even talking about you in the first place.

About who were you talking to then, there's no other mod on the posts above apart from me, and Kera is not a mod, but admin, and was definetely not talking like you describe in that post.

Then I made a mistake. But it should be obvious who I was talking about.

I don't think it should be a "rule" as in punishable just for existing, and swearing should be taken in context - who said it, whether it was meant to upset anyone, etc. The same word coming from a known troublemaker should have different interpretation than a random outburst from a "regular" member.

All right, i think this rule deserves a better explanation.

On Note: How would you implement something with such subjectivity? What do you class as swearing? Will you release a list of words that are unacceptable to use? Is there a multiple chance policy for slip-ups, for example three vulgarities and you're out? What about words that some people consider swearing - such as "damn" - but other people don't?
Text interpretating is always subjective. We have a rule about disrespecting other members. How do u say if its disrespectful or not? Now thats highly subjective. How does it works? Common sense and good mods is all it takes. (more about it at end of post)
I believe if the rule is violated, probably the person would get one warning, same as it happens when u disrespect someone.

I just use crass language for emphasis.
Thats good. If u yourself can tell if its crass language or not, i believe u also have discernment enough to know if what u write is improper or not, if its disrespectful or not, or if its swearing or not, therefore this rule wont be a problem for u and other ppl.

I think members of this forum should leave petty rivalries to rest, stop picking on each other, and stop having biased opinions. Everything can be solved with respect, good will and some good judgement.
Now that would be a place with "crosses decorated all over". Sry that place doenst exists.

I don't think it should be a "rule" as in punishable just for existing, and swearing should be taken in context - who said it, whether it was meant to upset anyone, etc. The same word coming from a known troublemaker should have different interpretation than a random outburst from a "regular" member.
Agreed, thats is more or less how u evaluate personal injury. I dont know how it works in america, but here personal injury exists to protect personal rights and attributes such as privacy, honor, feelings, etc. Of course it goes beyond swearing, but it always falls to the judge to know if what was said at a certain context, time and place can be considered, or not, personal injury, just like its going to fall to the mods if what is written here is breaking the rules or not. Personal injury is subjective, yes. That works? Totally. I think this rule is very similar and will make this place a lot more peaceful, and if it doesnt, it can be removed later on.

Text interpretating is always subjective. We have a rule about disrespecting other members. How do u say if its disrespectful or not? Now thats highly subjective. How does it works? Common sense and good mods is all it takes. (more about it at end of post)

Yes, but that's a subjective rule regarding a subjective matter. If one person is offended by a statement, they may say so and explain why, but swearing is an objective thing that can only be measured with subjective means.

Swearing is objective much like how verbs are, but this is a vague rule - what words are swearwords? Is "damn" one? Some people consider taking religious names in a blasphemous way to be swearing, so will that be considered?

Thats good. If u yourself can tell if its crass language or not, i believe u also have discernment enough to know if what u write is improper or not, if its disrespectful or not, or if its swearing or not, therefore this rule wont be a problem for u and other ppl.

That's an incongruous statement. I can tell what's universally classified as a cuss word because it says so in the dictionary - disrespect varies based on each person. What I consider a disrespect to myself is radically different from another; for example, I consider there to be no disrespect in criticising any legitimate creative material I put up for scrutiny, but in the same way, people believe that criticising a live performance of Kalafina or FictionJunction is tantamount to disrespect.

Will you deal with this in a case-to-case basis, in every indication of a vulgarity? Will you read through and deduce through logical presumption and thorough consideration each casual slip-up of swearing?

Regarding the subjectivity noted above, will you therefore examine each situation with unbiased consideration? Will you adopt this method and all the extra work that it burdens you with?

If not, and if you're not willing to enforce it with every seriousness, then you shouldn't make this rule. Not that you can't, but that you shouldn't.

Besides, didn't Kera say you all had enough trouble monitoring the forum as it is, and that's why you were struggling with it? This seems an unnecessary rule to add.

Now that would be a place with "crosses decorated all over". Sry that place doenst exists.

Well, it does, it's called "adult life".

Yes, but that's a subjective rule regarding a subjective matter. If one person is offended by a statement, they may say so and explain why, but swearing is an objective thing that can only be measured with subjective means.

Swearing is objective much like how verbs are, but this is a vague rule - what words are swearwords? Is "damn" one? Some people consider taking religious names in a blasphemous way to be swearing, so will that be considered?

Sry, i didnt understand it very well. You say swearing is objective like verbs, but at same time u say that acknowledging a word as a swearword, or not, varies from person to person. If its something is based on each person interpretation and varies that much, i think its subjective and not objective. Math and numbers are objective - text interpretation never is.

And actually i think its pretty irrelevant if its subjective or objective. Like i stated on the end of my last post, there are plenty of objective rules that are subjectively applied, like personal injury, and it works very well, and thats how it would be applied here. Again, common sense and good judgement from mods is all it takes.

If not, and if you're not willing to enforce it with every seriousness, then you shouldn't make this rule. Not that you can't, but that you shouldn't.

Besides, didn't Kera say you all had enough trouble monitoring the forum as it is, and that's why you were struggling with it? This seems an unnecessary rule to add.

Yes i believe the mods are willing to enforce it and are more than capable for that, if that is your question.

Well, it does, it's called "adult life".
Yesterday u said u like Hobbes and his Leviathan didnt u? "homo homini lupus", all i have got to say to u. Dont feel like explaining the obvious - if the so called "adult life" was so perfect as claimed, i wouldnt spend all day at work reading ppl sueing each other over stupid facts and watching lawyers at each other throat here at the judge's cabinet.

I can see you're not moving from your stance, so I'll drop it.

Back