Oda Kaori - Calling (re)translation/analysis

H

Hatouchan

Oda Kaori - Calling
There are certain lines that I am not sure about, so please feel free to criticize, provide suggestions. I've marked the areas I'm not sure about, and have provided why I translated them that way. I know Kajiura likes to write lyrics that are related to the show, but I don't remember much about Baccano! aside from immortality, which is present throughout this song.
何処までも続いてる星空見上げて歌う 限りある僕達の永遠を夢見るメロディー
Looking up at the endless starry skies,
we, with our limited life, sing a melody for our dream of eternity
胸に溢れる愛しさの水は
The water of love/adoration, overflowing in our hearts,
未来の果てで誰かに届くだろう
will reach someone at the ends of the future (*1)
信じているよ
I believe so

遥かな時を駆け抜けて
Running through the distant time, (*2)
僕達の呼び声はいつか大きな歌になる
our calls will one day become a great song
愛を紡いで行けるよ
It can go on, spinning (our) love, (*3)
今はまだこんなに小さな光だけど
even though it’s still just a tiny light right now

分かり合う喜びに体ごと焼かれた夜に
In this night when our bodies burned from the joy of knowing/understanding one another,
限りある温もりの 永遠を初めて祈った
I prayed for the first time, for this limited warmth to last for an eternity (*4)

君のためにきっと生まれて来たと ただ声の限りに叫び続けたい
I just want to continue screaming/shouting, to the limits of my voice, that I was surely born for your sake
呼び合う声が時を超えるように
so that our voices, calling out to each other, will be able to transcend time

震えてた手を取り合って
We held our trembling hands together,
失くしたくないと思って
not wanting to lose each other
僕等の胸に儚さがいつか生まれてた
At some time or other, transience/evanescence/fragility was born in our hearts
終わりに怯えて泣いて
Afraid of the end, we cried
終わらない歌を歌った
and sang a never-ending song
まだ見ない地平の方へ 君と行けるから…… (何処までも…)
for I could still go with you, towards the yet unseen horizon (no matter where…)

遥かな時を駆け抜けて
Running through the distant time,
僕達の呼び声はいつか大きな歌になる
愛を語って行けるよ
it can go on, telling of (our) love
今はまだこんなに小さな 
光だけど
Even though it’s still just a tiny light right now

遥かな時を駆け抜けて (*5)
Running through the distant time,
星空見上げて歌う
looking up at the starry skies as we sing,
愛を紡いで行けるよ
we can go on, spinning (our) love, (*6)
永遠を夢見ている
光の中
dreaming of an eternity, within the light
within the light that is dreaming of an eternity (*7)
(*1)未来の果てで "at the ends of the future"
My take is that it means the present (to the person it will reach), which is also the future to someone from the past (the singer)

(*2) 遥かな時を駆け抜けて
I'm not too sure here. I'm interpreting 遥かな時 as a long period of time, far into the distant future.

(*3) It can go on, spinning (our) love
It's the calls/song that is transcending (ie. running through) time, spinning love. Ties in to "呼び合う声が時を超えるように"
I suppose the meaning is still the same when you change it to we, since it'll be We (through this song), can go on spinning love

(*4) Alternative: I prayed for the first time, for an eternity for this limited warmth
limited warmth: A warmth that will one day end; the warmth of a person, ie. life, in its limitedness;
a prayer for eternity, for a life that will one day end

(*5) 遥かな時を駆け抜けて 星空見上げて歌う
I'm not sure if both 遥かな時を駆け抜けて and 星空見上げて歌う are supposed to be there. From what I see on the lyrics page, 遥かな時を駆け抜けて isn't included. Is this from the official lyrics in the booklet?

(*6) we can go on, spinning (our) love
I've put "We" now because of "星空見上げて歌う" before it. Together with "遥かな時を駆け抜けて", it will probably mean that it's "we" who transcends time this time (immortality). Not literal immortality, but immortalized in song.
Unless this whole song is really about a pair of lovers who really did literally achieve immortality, like some of the characters did in Baccano!, then ah.. well .. this song will turn out rather different. Again, I don't remember much about the show so it could be referring to other mortal characters.

(*7) previously: within the light that is dreaming of an eternity

Just took a quick look - Very good! :bow:

In *7 I understand it more as the alternate you gave.

I feel some parts of your translations are complicated, especially near the beginning, they could be a bit simpler. But overall it's OK as it is now, just keep it in mind for future translations.
:bow:

Hatouchan said:
Oda Kaori - Calling

遥かな時を駆け抜けて
Running through the distant time, (*2)
僕達の呼び声はいつか大きな歌になる

(*2) 遥かな時を駆け抜けて
I'm not too sure here. I'm interpreting 遥かな時 as a long period of time, far into the distant future.

(*5) 遥かな時を駆け抜けて 星空見上げて歌う
I'm not sure if both 遥かな時を駆け抜けて and 星空見上げて歌う are supposed to be there. From what I see on the lyrics page, 遥かな時を駆け抜けて isn't included. Is this from the official lyrics in the booklet?

Thanks for the translation! I've enjoyed reading it.

(*2)
Small detail but I like how you used "calls" instead of "cries" here, simply because the song title is Calling.
I understood this line the same way as you.

(*5)
Calling Booklet Scan

遥かな時を駆け抜けて is missing in the Booklet LOL.
遥かな時を駆け抜けて and 星空見上げて歌う should be present.
They must have left it out or forgot to check because my ears heard the same lyrics as you.

I'd prefer the alternate option for (*7) too.

Re:

Shizuka said:
Thank you Hatouchan ! :sohappy: the lyrics are so beatiful...
Aren't they? I'm a sucker for this type of lyrics.
yuki.n said:
Just took a quick look - Very good! :bow:

In *7 I understand it more as the alternate you gave.

I feel some parts of your translations are complicated, especially near the beginning, they could be a bit simpler. But overall it's OK as it is now, just keep it in mind for future translations.
:bow:
Thank you for your suggestions. :bow:
I've replaced *7 with the alternate.

I was torn between keeping the general feel of 限りある僕たち and substituting the whole thing with just "mortals" like on CPM's lyric page. Using mortals could lead to a simpler sentence, but I really wanted to highlight the limited nature of life since it's what this song is built on. I'll see whether a more elegant sentence will come to mind eventually.
Insidia said:
Thanks for the translation! I've enjoyed reading it.

(*2)
Small detail but I like how you used "calls" instead of "cries" here, simply because the song title is Calling.
I understood this line the same way as you.

(*5)
Calling Booklet Scan

遥かな時を駆け抜けて is missing in the Booklet LOL.
遥かな時を駆け抜けて and 星空見上げて歌う should be present.
They must have left it out or forgot to check because my ears heard the same lyrics as you.

I'd prefer the alternate option for (*7) too.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a pleasure translating this song. It allowed me to really think about what this song is about.

Yes. I specifically chose to use "calls" for (*2) because of the title. :D
I had wondered if "calling" should also be used for ただ声の限りに叫び続けたい but felt that calling would not be intense enough to represent 叫び. Instead, I chose to only use calling for the next line: 呼び合う声が時を超えるように.

I had a feeling 遥かな時を駆け抜けて was missing in the booklet though I'm not sure why they chose to omit that line. It's clearly audible. Kaori doesn't sing that line live though, IIRC it's a recorded line. She only sings 星空見上げて歌う but I think that's because of the timing of those two lines.

Back