洋字の文字が交互に

Do we do somthing

• No

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Yes, but I am not sure what

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Yes, I know just what we need (do tell)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
これは、私の日本語の知識がひどいことだということがあります。申し訳ありません。

The forum currently has two registered users with non-latin based user names (みちゆき and 君が光に変えて行く). This is, how do you say... AWESOME. I have no complaints about this.

However, in a primary English board, with only some of the participants knowing a substantial amount of Japanese - it becomes harder to engage with them in discussion, especially if your computer does not support Japanese input.

It's a concern.

So, is anything to be done about it? I'm fine if the answer is "no", as it means no work for me. :glasses:

I'd retain the kanji usernames but add romaji transcriptions of them as special signatures or above-icon titles.

ただこのままでいいだと思っております。

けど、
日本語のユザーネームがこのフォームに使えることにちょっぴりびっくりしちゃったんです。

Since I neither speak Japanese nor read kanji, it's a problem for me :uh..:
I agree with SpicaShining with adding romaji translations.

It will be technically masochistic to try employing javascripts with highlighted mouse-over transcriptions, won't it? :ayashii: and a magical instant romaji-kana-romaji converter is also pure sci-fi... OK, dreamer mode off. :XD:
We could leave the matter as it is, but persistently advise newcomers with such names that they take up and agree on a commonly known romaji variant which everyone can use without copypasting troubles.
Th e problem is that other newcomers will probably be forced to check out the relevant intro thread where the romanization is given. On the other hand, it might stimulate them stronger to make their own intro, wh knows... :plot: :plot: :plot:

However, in a primary English board, with only some of the participants knowing a substantial amount of Japanese ...

In recent months I have noticed a big increase in the number of Japanese only posts, particularly in the Otakuland sub-forum. My take on this is:

This is an English language forum used by people who do not have the language skills necessary to participate in Japanese language forums. People come here hoping to find the lastest news rendered into a form they can understand.

Quoting modest amounts of Japanese text is often justified if it helps to illistrate the point the English text is making. But we are now collecting long posts that comprise only Japanese text, with no associated english explanation or translation. Often this text is simply a cut and paste from a Japanese website. But that is precisely what the URL /URL tag is for.

So I've decided to bump this thread and invite opinions from my fellow members on this point.

^ Hi, I'm one of the guilty parties, and don't have much Japanese language skills either. What I do know I'm happy to share.

Posting relevant information as it's written is better than posting a google or bing translation, but I agree that some explanatory text in English is preferable. One can use google's chromium/chrome browser or translate to get a rough idea of meaning in the absence of someone being able to provide a full translation. If someone posts something that they believe is relevant in Japanese, it provides an opportunity for someone else who does understand and have the ability and time to translate to do so.

One of the other things that I believe that canta-per-me.net needs to have to be useful is not just English translations of material including artist and song names and lyrics but also provide a key between the Japanese form(s) of names and the English form(s). Hence for song titles, the lyrics section index http://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/ includes native Japanese and romaji forms, and on the actual songs' pages are a translation of the meaning of the song title.

If one was trying to buy albums or soundtracks of Yuki Kajiura's music, for the non-English titles it is helpful having the Japanese titles as text that can be copied and pasted into the search field on sites like amazon.co.jp .

I feel that it is preferable both to supply a source URL and the actual text of blogs / articles as there is no guarantee that they will remain available on another site, and having them here on canta-per-me.net also means that those who don't understand Japanese and want to know more can post a query here and those who know Japanese can help out by posting a reply.

Far from being elitist or exclusionary I hope that canta-per-me.net is a place where source material in Japanese can be made available in a way that encourages explanation and translation. (I hate it when URL's to source material get left out of articles on other sites).

Also, it is easy not to be aware of upcoming concerts in Japan - it may not be that anyone from canta-per-me.net is able to attend, but others have helped alert me and others to concerts and it is great to be able to help others with concert dates and booking details.

I hope this explains my motivations in copying and posting Japanese material on canta-per-me.net.

^I recommend the Bing Translator I find it slightly more accurate http://www.bing.com/translator, if you still considering on posting news in a bilingual way but it would definitely bring both Japanese fans and International ones closer to each other. I for one would be happy to see Bilingual text meanwhile also to further improve my 日本語. The only thing I am worried about are members that might take this for granted or even expect a close to perfect translation from you.

Back