My Introduction

• Thread starter jmarr@saddleback.edu
  • Start date
J

jmarr@saddleback.edu

こんいちは ございます!

Sorry for the late introduction! I am John Marr and I'm a college professor in Southern California. I teach at a few community colleges in the LA/OC area. I have begun teaching Kajiura-sensei's music in my World Music and Music Appreciation classes. I am happy to say that I can justify her music in both. I am also working on incorporating an anime music section for my world music classes. I was first drawn to her music when I bought the anime "Noir." I saw FictionJunction at this years AX. It was fantastic! I have begun giving panels on her music at Animegacon and Anime Vegas. I'll be presenting at Anime LA in January. YAY!

John Marr
Professor of Music/Yuki Kajiura Enthusiast

Wow that is awesome jmarr!!! That's the true meaning of spreading the love for Kajiura-san! :XD: I am curious to listen to one of your lectures :ayashii:

How old are you ?

Please enjoy your stay!!

Welcome, John! :V: Kudos for spreading the word on Yuki's music where you live. Good luck with that! :cheer: And enjoy your stay here! :sparkleguy:

Welcome! That is so awesome to be able to teach it! You should post a video of your lecture with mention of Yuki to the forum sometime. I am either Lina or Liana, and love all music by Yuki Kajiura, and I also have other favorite composers and artists of course. Hope you like it here! :dote:

Thankyou for joining this forum! It's good to have a music professor here. Have you been able to visit Japan yourself yet? Events featuring music of anime like Animelo Summer Live are amazing.

Welcome to CPM! I like how you do your work, since it involves Yuki's music. Hope you have fun in the forums, and I would really like to hear your thoughts on Yuki's music from time to time here.

Welcome and thank you so much for spreading Kajiura's music further! :goodjob: :sohappy:

If I was in your class I'd attend every single lecture religiously lol :TdT: :XD:

Hello!

Thank you ALL very much for the kind welcome. I'm 45 years old, I began listening to Kajiura-sensei's music about two years ago when I took a class in anime and manga at Irvine Valley College where I teach. (YES, I earned an "A" by reading manga and watching anime!) ^__^ I grab as many FJ/Kalafina CDs as I can, if you're in the So Cal (LA/OC) area, please let me know if you see anything at Bookoff or Kinokuniya bookstores, that you didn't grab for yourself. Regarding my lecture, I believe that someone from Bee Train video recorded my entire panel at Anime Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I don't know who it is. I didn't know that they were at my lecture, so I'm glad that I said some VERY nice things about Koichi Mashimo's work with Kajiura-sensei. ^__^ FJ at Anime Expo '12 WAS awesome! I'm just mad that I didn't discover her music sooner because Kalafina was at AX '11, and at the time, I didn't know the connection between them and Kajiura-sensei. Oh well, hey, I'm still learning, friends! Have a great evening!

Take Care!

Bee-Train ? :ayashii: That's strange, since Kajiura-san has stopped working for them since 2006 (El cazador de la Bruja) I wonder if there's anything planned for the future behind the scenes :ayashii: :plot:

Re:

jmarr@saddleback.edu said:
Hello!

Thank you ALL very much for the kind welcome. I'm 45 years old, I began listening to Kajiura-sensei's music about two years ago

Hehehe... I'm 48 and only discovered Kalafina when I finding Lisani Live videos around the time I was trying to get to Animelo Summer Live 2011.

If you are interested in my stories check out the blog posts starting at:

http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/20 ... ravelogue/

and the thread on this message board:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3631

Wow? There's an Anime Vegas? Did not know that. I have family there. (I am from Wisconsin) But that is so cool that you took a class in anime and manga too. Wish I could do that. heh

Wow a music prof who's interested in YK O_O
I want to see academic writings about YK :XD:
Welcome to the forum :sohappy:

Thanks, checking them out now.

I am amazed we have a guy that looks like those people from hi-tech companies at forum :XD:

why does he says in 2012 "collaborates often with Koichi Mashimo" while she has to work with him 8 years ?

John Marr, YK hasnt wrote any song in French so far, there are only some musics with french titles. There are also kajiurago http://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/about-kajiurago/ which is practically mixture of italian/other language with some own words, in order to not make sense. There is indeed 1 song in german http://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/das and there are 2 more recent from Madoka Magica, which are in german but dont make sense in translation as far as I have asked german knowers http://canta-per-me.net/discography/madoka-movies-1-2-ost//
  • wo ist die Kase? (49s)
  • witch world #2 (2m09s)
thanks for recommending/advertsing us on the second vid :XD:

Last edited:
Hi John!

I was introduced to YK's music through Noir too...and I'm glad to hear that it's found its way into music classes. Her style is very unusual but has some really interesting mixtures of styles and influences, so I'm sure that your students will find plenty to enjoy and appreciate. Well done for bringing it to an even wider audience!

Knowing that a professional music professor is a fellow fan sort-of justifies my appreciation s bit more actually!

Hi, John Marr, very nice to meet you! :bow:
So, you bought the anime noir :goodjob: I know Yuki Kajiura's work from noir too.
Please enjoy your time here. :sohappy:

Back