Monarch butterfly babies!!

Kerahna

Administrator
WHEN I THINK OF LARVE, I THINK OF TINBA :XD:
I name them both "tinba" because they look the same and live in the same plant so i can't tell the difference between them ^^;

Hi XD For the past few weeks i've been raising two baby monarchs but i haven't taken pictures until today :3 I found them as little tiny eggs at the bottom of milkweed leaves, and every day they grew 4x larger as before O_O they grow sooo fast~~ they eat and eat and EAT and make lots and lots of POOP

This photo was taken earlier today (on a dead tree in my house, but i tied a milkweed plant to it, for them to eat)
caterpillar01.jpg

This is the largest that they get (almost as long as my little finger!)
and then later this afternoon (it's darker already), they started to hang upside down in the "J" shape :D they are going to pupate soon~~
caterpillar02.jpg

tomorrow they will be waxy light green chrysalids with gold dots! pretty gold dots :D real shiny looking "gold" (i wonder where the pigment comes from?!)

But they'll become very beautiful while turning into butterflies :dote:

my spy birds are flyin' near your house :omgwtf: they're gonna eat the butterflies :comeback:

send them away right now maxwell *glares*

sho cute Kerahna ~~~~~ make sure to take pictures while they'll be chrysalids as wellˇ~~~~ and dah don't forget to take picture of butterflies too :3 ~~~~ (yeah i have anima fetish -.- ~~~ insects are no acceptation ~~~ you should see my spider collection i'm keeping in my room~~~ no... wait.. that just means i'm not tiding my room often enough :omgwtf: )

Chibi

huhuhuhu tinba is a human larve xD

aaaah photos x3
OMG colorful ~.~
they are like Pokemons ^w^ cute with their little hands/feet and their antena xD
Aaaah Can't wait to see the "evolution" :XD:

Kerahna said:
every day they grew 4x larger as before
OMG how old are they ?! :omgwtf:

hey they do the J to be like a ball ?

Chibi-Chibi said:
you should see my spider collection i'm keeping in my room~~~ no... wait.. that just means i'm not tiding my room often enough :omgwtf:
LOL !!! xD

haha maxwell don't worry, Kerahna will eat the bird before it eats the larves.

Kerahna said:
WHEN I THINK OF LARVE, I THINK OF TINBA :XD:
LOL thanks :XD:
take some pictures of their next steps :D

me 4 years ago:
:nophoto:
they are like my family, don't they ? :dote:

Last edited by a moderator:
rofl look like exactly the same :goodjob:
hey look ! tinba is doing the "J" :XD:

Wow Kera-chan isnt disgusted by insects like the most of the girls ^_^

:goodjob: Kerahna

Why the are called monarchs??

haha haaa :XD: human larve!!!!

This morning they both pupated, but it was really early in the morning and i wasn't awake ^^; Just took a photo of them now, but the dots aren't perfectly gold yet. they'll be gold tomorrow but i probably will be too lazy to take a photo <3

caterpillar03.jpg

now i go eat dinner :3

wawww they are going to fly! so strange!
hey tinba, when will you have wings ? xD

wake up earlier you lazy gurl! :3 and take tha photo mouahaha :XD:
I want to seeeeee iiiit >.<
:please: o-ne-ga-i

Ooooh! Nice. You're there to witness the miracle of life. :XD:

Take pics of them when they start coming out, gurl. ;)

one of them came out today and it was so big and pretty and it was fluttering around on the floor but my dad STEPPED on it 5 seconds after we found it and im so depressed :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i ran away and still havent gone back downstairs to see it

the other one is turning dark (the green becomes transparent when its about to come out, and looks kind of blackish but you can see the red/orange wings through it) so it will probably come out tomorrow....

it will never meet its friend that it grew up with as a caterpillar :cry:

OMG.... i'd probably kill my dad or something if he'd do that to me o.O
you can't image how much i yeal every year at him just because he always "arranges" meetings between newborn kitties and our dog ..... or when he puts them in water to have bath just for fun <_<

Chibi

Lol your dad sounds like a curious 13 year old, chibi. :XD: Funny, but i feel you. :|

And Pauline, i am so sorry. Poor butterfly. Why did your dad do that? :cry:

it was an accident :'(
they bought me a camera for it though :3

here are photos of tinba #2, who came out this morning <3 <3 <3
it's a boy :)

butterfly.jpg

Clockwise from top:
- a while after coming out of chrysalis; dad took this photo with FLASH on >_< poor thing
- on an orchid in my house, in front of one of my old ugly paintings
- two on the right are on a fake flower arrangement in my dining room
- last one is just after his first meal: jello juice XD the needle is for helping unroll his proboscis, not for pinning him onto a card ^^;

he's so cute and obedient and sits where ever i want him too (thats how i got all the photos) but i try not to make him sit on my hand becuase my hand is slippery and he falls all over the place XD he's still learning to fly and not very good at it. i'll let him go when he manages to fly properly

wow, tinba #2 is gorgeous, i hope i will become like this one day :D
too bad for the #1, do you plan to adopt another one to help the #2? :/

Back