LINO LEIA

CloisteredFlame

7 billion humans. She must know I exist
I decided to create a LINO LEIA thread after watching her Highway Star 100-Questions interview.

【HS Presents】#06『LINO LEIA 100の質問』
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cBFRZxuZM

Screenshot 2024-08-18 012131.jpg

LINO LEIA's interview answers were quite interesting from what I could read using Google auto-translate for the Japanese auto-generated captions.

- She grew up in a family with her dad being a musician and having multiple instruments LINO played with as a child.
- She listens to mostly "world music" and ethnic music from different nationalities .
- Her name seems to be made up from Hawaiian words and roughly translates to "Shining Angel".
- She wanted to join Morning Musume when she was younger (idol route).
- She watched the Eurovision Song Contest in Junior High and was exposed to a lot of European music.
- She likes The group called "Siberian Orchestra(?)", ambient music, Celtic, movie soundracks, hip-hop, and so on.
- She respects David Foster, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston.
- At one point, she said she would like to have Snoop Dogg as her dad and Yuki Kajiura as her mum. Maybe someone who speaks Japanese can confirm the question that was asked (maybe a question about if she could choose musical parents?).
- Dream band (I suspect): Henrik Linder from Dirty Loops, Dave Grohl (jazz pianist), Pat Metheny for the guitar (I didn't get the drummer).
- She wrote her first song at 15 years.
- Dance, ballet, piano, volleyball- hobbies?
- Favorite subjects: English, Japanese, liberal arts.
- She praised Shuri for her power vocals and live stamina.

LINO LEIA seems to have a wide range of musical interests. It will be interesting to see how she reveals these influences in her compositions and performances.

Ooh back then she wanted to join Momusu? In another life (or if destiny's altered its route a little bit) we could have Keiko and Lino Leia both being members of Momusu. Keiko said that she actually passed the first screening application for Momusu, but since it was her friend who invited her to send the application and that friend ended up not passing the screening, Keiko didn't attend the second audition.

An Eurovision watcher (very rare for a Japanese wow) who respects David Foster, Celine Dion, and Whitney Houston. Talented too, can play instruments and compose her own songs. If only her voice is more to my taste she could've been my oshi. Please have more vocal lessons because she listed two of the most technically proficient female vocalists of all time as people she looked up to, yet her singing is kind of all over the place. She had idol influence too though so she sings like a slightly better Japanese idol...

. Keiko said that she actually passed the first screening application for Momusu, but since it was her friend who invited her to send the application and that friend ended up not passing the screening, Keiko didn't attend the second audition.
I did not realize that Keiko wanted to be part of Morning Musume! Wow, imagine that! She would have been stuck singing cute poppy songs and not been able to use her contralto range. She would also not have become as developed a vocalist as she has over the years.

I would imagine she and LINO LEIA have a lot of fun reminiscing about their shared passions when they meet up.

Please have more vocal lessons because she listed two of the most technically proficient female vocalists of all time as people she looked up to, yet her singing is kind of all over the place.
I was surprised when she said that. It might mean more that she likes singing their songs, or really respects their pedigree, rather than her being a student of their vocals, because I would expect a singer to have imitated their favourite vocalists and imbibed their attributes at an early age.

Maybe she grew up surrounded by the Japanese idol world in her formative years so her vocals developed around that (nasal, high-pitched), so she got introduced to foreign musicas an older teen and so wasn't shaped by them. I would have expected to have heard some of Celine/Whitney's tendencies in her vocals otherwise. She also doesn't seem to have any of the enka- or rock-influences you hear in Keiko, Kaori, Yuriko (wide vibratos/ornamentation), but rather has a very JPop-sounding foundation. She did say something that seemed to translate to wanting people to her "bass" (as Google Translate put it). Maybe she wants to show a non-pop side to her vocals. Assuming the auto-translation was representative of her actual words.

She was also a dancer growing up, since she also practiced ballet, and I've seen her do contemporary dance moves in one of her solo MVs. So that must have been another outlet for her. She and Keiko share that in common as well.

I did not realize that Keiko wanted to be part of Morning Musume! Wow, imagine that! She would have been stuck singing cute poppy songs and not been able to use her contralto range. She would also not have become as developed a vocalist as she has over the years.

I would imagine she and LINO LEIA have a lot of fun reminiscing about their shared passions when they meet up.

I was surprised when she said that. It might mean more that she likes singing their songs, or really respects their pedigree, rather than her being a student of their vocals, because I would expect a singer to have imitated their favourite vocalists and imbibed their attributes at an early age.

Maybe she grew up surrounded by the Japanese idol world in her formative years so her vocals developed around that (nasal, high-pitched), so she got introduced to foreign musicas an older teen and so wasn't shaped by them. I would have expected to have heard some of Celine/Whitney's tendencies in her vocals otherwise. She also doesn't seem to have any of the enka- or rock-influences you hear in Keiko, Kaori, Yuriko (wide vibratos/ornamentation), but rather has a very JPop-sounding foundation. She did say something that seemed to translate to wanting people to her "bass" (as Google Translate put it). Maybe she wants to show a non-pop side to her vocals. Assuming the auto-translation was representative of her actual words.

She was also a dancer growing up, since she also practiced ballet, and I've seen her do contemporary dance moves in one of her solo MVs. So that must have been another outlet for her. She and Keiko share that in common as well.
That Keiko aufitioned once for Morning Musume I knew but forgot to tell you. I assume it must be for the 4th Gen or for the 3rd gen since she is in the same age as Maki Goto, Rika Ishikawa and Hitomi Yoshizawa who auditioned at that time. I think although Keiko is the one who besides her deep voice which I still believes can be an asset than a bug the one who is the most idollike I still think she would have not fit 100% the grouo and also her singing abilities would have not increased as she did with working with Yuki.

That Keiko aufitioned once for Morning Musume I knew but forgot to tell you. I assume it must be for the 4th Gen or for the 3rd gen since she is in the same age as Maki Goto, Rika Ishikawa and Hitomi Yoshizawa who auditioned at that time. I think although Keiko is the one who besides her deep voice which I still believes can be an asset than a bug the one who is the most idollike I still think she would have not fit 100% the grouo and also her singing abilities would have not increased as she did with working with Yuki.
She definitely has the looks to be part of Morning Musume, no doubt.

I became a fan of Hitomi Yoshizawa specifically out her generation when I was first introduced to old videos of Morning Musume's TV show as my introduction to Japanese music/idol/J-Pop culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rFOBtpd_ls
This was the video series I was referring but I don't think it was this channel since I saw the video several years ago. I could imagine Keiko in this space easily. She has the charisma and likes to be in front of the camera.

She definitely has the looks to be part of Morning Musume, no doubt.

I became a fan of Hitomi Yoshizawa specifically out her generation when I was first introduced to old videos of Morning Musume's TV show as my introduction to Japanese music/idol/J-Pop culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rFOBtpd_ls
This was the video series I was referring but I don't think it was this channel since I saw the video several years ago. I could imagine Keiko in this space easily. She has the charisma and likes to be in front of the camera.
Yes, she has everything, just her deep voice could a bit hamper her part as an ace since it is deep on a high level which makes her a bit too strong vocal wise.

I wish her the best in her career. I just wish she could strengthen her voice with some training.
Having more breath control and placement away from the nose would do wonders for her tone and variety.

I want all the ladies to succeed in their individual works, not just with Kajiura.

Back