Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina girls left Spacecraft (confirmed)

As a Kajiura supporter, this news is great because she now has more freedom (both to compose and to choose her projects), which will likely mean better works.

As a Kalafina supporter, I'm saddened by the loss of their producer, and curious at where they will go from here on. Their music will definitely take a different turn, but given their works these past few years, that may potentially not be a bad thing. Time will tell.

It's been ten years. Time for a change - not always a bad thing.

Sigh. :(

From what I've gleened from the passed few years, YK has been getting "cabin fever" doing the same old same old over and over. It's like she's composing on automatic. She looks to be wanting to do something else. What that is ? I don't know. We'll have to be patient. Perhaps she's found a new set of young singers to work with. Anything is possible.

As for Kalafina: If this spells the end for them, look for Hikaru to strike out on her own as a soloist. YK even said she has the most potential as a soloist way back in the early Kalafina days. If that happens, look for Keiko and Wakana to be more active in FJ projects. I'm sure Keiko won't sit stil for long and will be involved in some other project quick enough. Wakana... I don't know. She may fade out of singing altogether with out Kalafina and FJ.

I do wonder, how much control does the management company have over the projects she composes for? Like, do they specifically choose her projects? Do they give hew only a few options to pick from every year?

As for Kalafina: If this spells the end for them, look for Hikaru to strike out on her own as a soloist.

Unless she gets over her current problems, I'd say this is very unlikely.

look for Hikaru to strike out on her own as a soloist.
Unless she gets over her current problems, I'd say this is very unlikely.
I agree. Right now she has Wakana and Keiko to help support her, but if she goes solo then her vocal problems will be front and center 100% of the time. She won't be able to win fans over very well if she's wobbling all over the place in songs, much less producers. Name recognition only goes so far

Though I highly doubt this is the end of Kalafina. All 3 of them have said how much they enjoy performing with each other, and that they want to do this for many years to come. Those comments have only gotten more common as the years have gone on. It may be the end of Kajiura's Kalafina, but not Kalafina itself.

I haven't spoken out about this subject at all but I have to admit that I am wholeheartedly fearful for whatever this future is going to hold, like driven to the point of tears. I know that seems pitiful, especially because it also gives off the intonation of myself not trusting in what Miss Kajiura can, and will be allowed to, do in the future. However, I'm also a Kalafina fan, and for the amazing qualities of their producer to be seemingly stripped from them in this manner, in my eyes . . . I can't bullshit this, I just am truly scared . . .

What would likely calm me down even a teeny bit is something impossible, such as if Keiichi Okabe slid in as their new producer or something . . . :desksweat:

If we look at this realistically, there are positives in every outcome. Yuki has been mired down in Kalafina purgatory for a solid ten years, and aside from KnK and Madoka, her OSTs and anisongs have undoubtedly been forgettable at best. In recent years her only exceptional work has been Kalafina's god-tier b-sides and filler tracks but other than that, her work as of recent simply comes off as uninspired.

If Yuki and Kalafina truly remain as one, perhaps Yuki's creative range will improve without Spacecraft overshadowing her, but if the two entities were to part, well that might be best for both. Yuki can work on establishing a new chapter of her musical career and creating a new style different from her previous See-Saw, FictionJunction and Kalafina eras, and Kalafina can have a refreshing new sound with a new composer.

Alternatively, without a new composer, and if this is truly the end of Kalafina, so be it. Both Chiaki Ishikawa and Kaori Oda have set the benchmark on creating beautiful music without Kajiura, and all three Kalagirls are also exceptional vocalists, and more than capable of creating extraordinarily marvelous careers of their own.

I'm not worried about this anymore. Whatever the outcome, I know damned well that Yuki will continue to compose, and that Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru will continue singing, and whether together or not, I'll quite happily follow their respective careers to the very end.

If we look at this realistically, there are positives in every outcome. Yuki has been mired down in Kalafina purgatory for a solid ten years, and aside from KnK and Madoka, her OSTs and anisongs have undoubtedly been forgettable at best. In recent years her only exceptional work has been Kalafina's god-tier b-sides and filler tracks but other than that, her work as of recent simply comes off as uninspired.

If Yuki and Kalafina truly remain as one, perhaps Yuki's creative range will improve without Spacecraft overshadowing her, but if the two entities were to part, well that might be best for both. Yuki can work on establishing a new chapter of her musical career and creating a new style different from her previous See-Saw, FictionJunction and Kalafina eras, and Kalafina can have a refreshing new sound with a new composer.

Alternatively, without a new composer, and if this is truly the end of Kalafina, so be it. Both Chiaki Ishikawa and Kaori Oda have set the benchmark on creating beautiful music without Kajiura, and all three Kalagirls are also exceptional vocalists, and more than capable of creating extraordinarily marvelous careers of their own.

I'm not worried about this anymore. Whatever the outcome, I know damned well that Yuki will continue to compose, and that Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru will continue singing, and whether together or not, I'll quite happily follow their respective careers to the very end.

mqdefault.jpg

What would likely calm me down even a teeny bit is something impossible, such as if Keiichi Okabe slid in as their new producer or something . . . :desksweat:

I wouldn't mind that. His style is at least a little similar to Kajiura.

and aside from KnK and Madoka, her OSTs and anisongs have undoubtedly been forgettable at best.

There's stuff that's as good or better than Madoka, specially if compared to the series' OST.

"Exceptional vocalists"
Ok

Yes Kajiura has hit a dry spell for Kalafina and it has been for years, nothing exceptional came from Kalafina since 2014 (for me) but tbh, like what @Kowz said, there are tracks in each OST that are really good and she showed a great improvement with Kubikiri Cycle OST.

Btw, do they hire Kajiura again for the upcoming SAO?

I'm gonna goddamn laugh if Kajiura left to get complete independence and still ends up writing garbage for yet more Shit Art Online.

ah yeah, NieR: Automata OST has some 'Kajiura-go-like' lyrics, so Keiichi Okabe would be great, though it still makes me sad for YK to leave.

many things bothers me:
1. how about the musicians?
2. is it still possible for Kalafina to have last album if this really ends?
3. have the girls talked about 'trying to work with another composer'?

Okabe is my favourite composer, so it'd be a dream for him to take over the reigns here. He's got quite a similar style to Kajiura except, well, better. His works for NieR + Automata and Drakengard 3 are all phenomenal. He did compose for Eir Aoi and Chihiro Onitsuka on the Drakengard 3 OST, so the possibility of him working with Kala at least once is definitely viable. It'd be pretty much guaranteed to be one of my favourite songs as well.

1. Nobody knows about the FBM, but it's crossed my mind as well.
2. If they're looking for someone else to compose (or Kajiura back as a freelance) then that'll mean more music, so eventually an album will happen
3. Not yet. They haven't said anything about this whole situation at all as of now.

many things bothers me:
1. how about the musicians?
2. is it still possible for Kalafina to have last album if this really ends?
3. have the girls talked about 'trying to work with another composer'?

-They're not part of Spacecraft, so I guess it depends on the composer or new producer I guess.
-One last album with YK, or as Kalafina? With YK, maybe if she had already written the songs. As Kalafina, if they don't disband, hue.
-Not that we know.

He did compose for Eir Aoi and Chihiro Onitsuka on the Drakengard 3 OST

Actually This Silence is Mine is credited to Chihiro Onitsuka, with arragement by Okabe.

Back