Is there a way to promote Kajiura's music in the Americas?

T

TsubasaLi

Well... I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but, I'm kinda curious about that...
In my country, there are two main kinds of popular music, either North American music or South American music. (For me, most of them are bad, of course, there are some exceptions on both sides).
I suggested to use the song "Decretum" from Madoka Magica in a graduation dance, but then a classmate of mine suggested the song "Say you, say me" and everyone quickly accepted it.
I don't get it... There's nothing wrong on Kajiura music... It's better than most artists from North and South America so, why does everyone seems to avoid it?

Even another classmate started to laugh at me after I suggested "Decretum"...
If you guys have any idea, I would be really happy to hear them. :D

@TsubasaLi, it can be that Yuki Kajiura's music falls into a different category to what people are used to listening to. Have any of your friends watched any of the anime that uses music by Yuki Kajiura?

People don't generally like new things, regardless of the quality. People generally like to stay within the boundaries of what they listen to (or watch, play etc.) unless something takes their attention.

Sadly there's not much you can do. Some people might check them out if you post videos or play a few songs or whatnot (I've had one guy get interested in Kala after hearing Serenato on my playlist at work) but in most cases, people will just ignore it or not look further.

@Kugayama and @Seasonreaper: A few of them yes, but most of them just like North and South American music. :/
I mean, Kajiura music resemble opera and classic music, with a small touch of Japanese but, they just keep rejecting it...
The instructor told me to send him some song for the introduction before the main dance, so I'm sending him the following songs: Decretum, Inevitabilis, Hear your prayer and I talk to the rain.
Thanks for the help guys :D

Even Kajiura herself said recently in that Mezamashi Budokan segment that her music isn't suited to everyone. I think it's just a matter of personal taste. I read on a blog comment, one person's reason was that they thought this style music is too 'dramatic' (with that kind of fantasy element) for normal everyday listening. It's the kind of thing they listen to maybe once or twice and think, "That's cool" but not something they'd listen to regularly.

It all boils down to a matter of personal taste, I guess. After all, you can't force someone to like something, no matter how much you try to lead them in :XD:

I too do not understand how people cannot adore everything Kajiura inc. FictionJunction and Kalafina. Even my resistant friends liked Kieko's live version of Synchronicity, but I cannot convince them otherwise. Apart from one, who encountered Kajiura via Sword Art Online.

Hmmmmmm, an idea I got would be to use the music and pair it up with things that others like and adore and are widely accepted.

An example would be to pair up, say, Main theme of Petite Cosette, especially the opening parts, with a scene from a movie/story, say for example, Harry Potter. More specifically, the part where Dumbledore and Harry visit the cave in book 6. I've often thought how much more epic that scene would be if this piece was used.

I've seen how other people pair up songs they like with their fanfic regarding HP, Twilight, etc. Of course the results are mixed- but they do gain people's attention faster.

This is an interesting question. Seeing how I found out about Yuki through Anime, sharing Anime Recommendations that she has been involved in with others might be a way to expose her music more. Sword Art Online is a popular Anime so it is possible that new fans have come from that Anime.

Then again, my music taste highly differs from what the norm seems to be in the United States, which may be why Yuki's music resonates with me in a way that general music in the United States can't. Also looking at what others have said, it isn't music suited to everyone. It is hard to see why one wouldn't come to love Kajiura's music if they listen to it even a little bit. Though if one is more accustomed to music that is played differently compared to Yuki Kajiura's then that may be why that's the case. Similar to how I don't enjoy the general Pop/Rock music of the United States in general

I think the best choice is to stick with Kaijura tried and true songs. That is specific to Gundam Seed, Beetrain trilogy, dot hack, Xenosaga, Mai hime, Tsubasa, and Pandora Hearts.

As for FJ and Kalafina, just let them listen to one song each. That alone is enough to tell whether it passes or not. As for other anime, it should be brought up if they specifically request more.

TsubasaLi: It might be a problem due to the thematic nature of dances. Depending on the venue, it becomes even more restrictive if need be. The best I could see is to wedge in between the songs at the end of the midway through and close to end songs.

Cerise: It's a little bit more complicated than saying it just a personal taste issue. That is oversimplifying things. Wouldn't it be better just to find out what style of songs they listen to. At least it will provide a framework of what their taste is, that is far more useful that condemning everything into personal taste. Personal taste provides too much of a convenient inconvenient answer to the question. Then figure out whether they branch out or not.
Cerise, I think that leading them is still overdoing as well. You can give them options, but under their conditions. I find it very ironic you say that, when this topic is about forcing them in some way. :punched::ouch::listen::notlistening::XD::hypno::innocent:

You literally just explained my life. I swear with EVERYTHING I have the EXACT same problem even if it's stuff like Fall Out Boy or Marina and the Diamonds, SAME PROBLEM. I just think the general population is stuck in it's mainstream bubble and Australia's is toxic. Generally it's probably going to be impossible for you to be able to make people like YK stuff unless they take.... like, Japanese as a language or if your school has a strings section in band. That's probably the only way you'll ever get it to work since it's already within someone's general interests.

From my experience here in North America, it seems to me that Kalafina songs typically attract my friends who can appreciate classical music.
The ones listening to nowadays songs on the radio/mainstream songs are not attracted to Kalafina songs :uh..:

I guess it depends on each individual's taste for music :XD:

Back