Help from pianists and/or songwriters: keyboard recommendations?

M

Martin

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but since this is where the 'creative' topics go, and it's in aid of my songwriting project, I thought this was the best place for it.

I've decided that I need to learn piano/keyboard, because I'm finding it sooo limiting to be without one when composing songs. There are loads in the shops to choose from, but I'm really just looking for a portable electric piano or keyboard to do standard melodies and harmonies on. Would weighted/touch-responsive keys be helpful for a beginner for instance, or are there more important features I should worry about?

I was just wondering what the people who *do* play use day-to-day, and what's most suitable for beginners. And yes, I'll be teaching myself how to read music as well. I've got by with playing guitar and bass for fifteen years, but only learned musical theory and 'proper' notation at school. I need to do something about that... :study:

It depends on how much you are willing to achieve, really. Kajiura Yuki later bought the piano type that I had already bought, but I doubt you would need to go that far if you only use it to compose songs on. Do you want to take lessons and become better?

I have a Roland RD-700 SX, Kajiura has used the next generations of this piano. It has weighted keys, which I could no longer do without, but I started out on a much simpler keyboard. The one I have now is a stage piano, with the full 88 keys.

Are you into digital music, you should probably get a keyboard. A stage piano is meant for pianists and a more acoustic sound.

Back