Hello all!

K

kansuigyo

Hi, I have been lurking since I found and fell in love with Kalafina 2 years ago. I've joined since I want to learn more about Kajiura/Kalafina and talk to fellow fans. Plus the board seems really interesting!

My favorite Kalafina album is Seventh Heaven. Coincidentally, the title track is probably my favorite song by Kalafina as well. Some other tracks I adore from other albums: red moon, sandpiper, Door, Yami no Uta, signal, etc. I like almost all Kalafina songs, except I do think their latest singles have been a bit disappointing.

Other artists I follow include Akiko Shikata, Nana Mizuki, Miyuki Nakajima and KOKIA to name a few.

I live in Michigan of United States. I study Computer Engineering at the University of Michigan, and am studying to pass the JLPT #3/#2 (Japanese Language Placement Test) in hopes of eventually working in Japan one day or at least stay connected to the culture and visit there. I'd love to see Kalafina live...

If you have any questions, I'll answer them, thanks for reading!!

PS the smileys here are really interesting :ohoho:

Hello, welcome! How did you get into Kalafina? :)

My favorite album is Red Moon but sometimes it changes with Seventh Heaven.
I'm also aiming to take the JLPT, level 1 and next year though .. perhaps we can help each other out. :ohoho:
And I am also from the States btw, but LA.
Hopefully you get to see the girls perform live in the near future!

Other artists I follow include Akiko Shikata, Nana Mizuki, Miyuki Nakajima and KOKIA to name a few.

I live in Michigan of United States. I study Computer Engineering at the University of Michigan, and am studying to pass the JLPT #3/#2 (Japanese Language Placement Test) in hopes of eventually working in Japan one day or at least stay connected to the culture and visit there. I'd love to see Kalafina live...

Welcome @kansuigyo ! I enjoy getting to as many live shows in Japan as I can (10 trips, 2 + 2 + 4 + 5 (plus a a play with Chiaki Ishikawa singing) + 2 + 7 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 concerts including FJ/Kalafina/Nana Mizuki/Chiaki Ishikawa), but my Japanese language skills are still at rank beginner stage. There are immersion courses that you can take in Japan where you stay cheaply and learn the language which might be a good compliment to formal study outside of Japan.

Enjoy your time here and please ask away about Yuki Kajiura's music and Japanese music and culture.

@Kugayama thank you! Wow, so many concerts! Do you go on a yearly/6-month basis? Just like you mention, I'm trying to find the "right time" next year to go to Japan, if there is a time, when all my favorite artists are having concerts. Nana Mizuki is a priority and seems to have a set schedule of concerts during the summer and mid-January, so that makes it a little easier. Are there any other activities you really enjoyed in Japan? Also did you travel alone or with companion? I intend on traveling alone currently, due to flight costs to Japan are so expensive.

@shiro Hello! My story isn't too interesting, I just happened across Hikari Furu and I was so impressed with their vocals I checked out reviews and saw they are very well acclaimed by English reviews site, and here I am haha. Red Moon is great. And for sure, we can help each other out!

Right now, I am making flash cards of all the JLPT Kanji. I was going to buy White Rabbit set but I thought, well, if I make it myself, I'll retain it better most likely (like the way you make a cheat sheet for an exam and then never use it because you remember everything you wrote on it haha). And I'll also save $150 lol. I bought color flash cards so I can separate the 5 levels, too, but it'll be a while until I get to level #1...

I'm also studying from Tobira and previously studied from Genki I and II. Since you are level #1 though, your skills are likely superior to mine though...the gap between #3/#2/#1 is huge, it seems.

If you have any recommendations for study material, that would be very useful, too! Especially for grammar.

@Kugayama thank you! Wow, so many concerts! Do you go on a yearly/6-month basis? Just like you mention, I'm trying to find the "right time" next year to go to Japan, if there is a time, when all my favorite artists are having concerts. Nana Mizuki is a priority and seems to have a set schedule of concerts during the summer and mid-January, so that makes it a little easier. Are there any other activities you really enjoyed in Japan? Also did you travel alone or with companion? I intend on traveling alone currently, due to flight costs to Japan are so expensive.

Hi, I've gone around the time of Animelo Summer Live (late August) in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, and for Animax Musix in 2013 and 2014 (late November), plus trying to get to Yuki Kajiura or Chiaki Ishikawa shows (July 2012, December 2012-January 2013, May 2013, April 2015).

Usually I use animetas.jp and artists' twitter to find out what is on and when, and have joined various fan clubs - FictionJunction Club, and fan clubs for Solid Vox artists, Nana Mizuki, Chihara Minori, Chiaki Ishikawa which give one access to earlier bidding for concert tickets. Some artists have events around their birthdays and many seem to have concerts in the northern summer.

Other activities I've enjoyed have been visiting museums and galleries / sight-seeing, walking in the country side, train journeys, food, cinemas and one doujin CD fair. Always travelled alone but did have my travel agent's representatives in Tokyo who arranged concert bookings and hotels for me, and collected fan club mailings.

Welcome, I love Akiko Shikata too :goodjob: (as you've seen with my avatar)

You has to be in love with Cross Ange' ost, right ? With collaboration of Akiko Shikata and Nana Mizuki on Towagatari -el Ragna- :sohappy:

welcome to cpm!
kokia <3 did you hear that she's pregant?
one time I think we went to Warren Dunes and swam in Lake Michigan while on vacation... I'm from SC :P
good luck with the JLPT! I started taking Japanese classes at uni, but idk if I'll ever try taking JLPT since it's just a hobby (aka I want to be able to understand YK-related interviews //hit)

do you listen mostly to Kalafina, or YK's other projects/soundtracks as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

[USER=889]@shiro
Hello! My story isn't too interesting, I just happened across Hikari Furu and I was so impressed with their vocals I checked out reviews and saw they are very well acclaimed by English reviews site, and here I am haha. Red Moon is great. And for sure, we can help each other out!

Right now, I am making flash cards of all the JLPT Kanji. I was going to buy White Rabbit set but I thought, well, if I make it myself, I'll retain it better most likely (like the way you make a cheat sheet for an exam and then never use it because you remember everything you wrote on it haha). And I'll also save $150 lol. I bought color flash cards so I can separate the 5 levels, too, but it'll be a while until I get to level #1...

I'm also studying from Tobira and previously studied from Genki I and II. Since you are level #1 though, your skills are likely superior to mine though...the gap between #3/#2/#1 is huge, it seems.

If you have any recommendations for study material, that would be very useful, too! Especially for grammar.[/USER]
Ahh very beautiful song. Funnily enough, I wasn't quite into it until I went back and listened to it this year. I'm actually in between #2/#1 but I figured if I'm going to go for it, might as well go big. But yes, there is a big gap .. going from #2 to #1 especially.

Studying Tobira thoroughly will get you around/near N2 level. I don't have any specific recs for study material though because I mainly listen/speak it for practice. sorry :( That is the biggest advice I can give you. However, I was recommended this book (click the onion) :goodjob: and I also know of :goodjob: maybe they will help you.

Okay, sorry for long series of quotes, it seems like double posts aren't frown upon here but just in case, I'll do it all in one post

Hi, I've gone around the time of Animelo Summer Live (late August) in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, and for Animax Musix in 2013 and 2014 (late November), plus trying to get to Yuki Kajiura or Chiaki Ishikawa shows (July 2012, December 2012-January 2013, May 2013, April 2015).

Usually I use animetas.jp and artists' twitter to find out what is on and when, and have joined various fan clubs - FictionJunction Club, and fan clubs for Solid Vox artists, Nana Mizuki, Chihara Minori, Chiaki Ishikawa which give one access to earlier bidding for concert tickets. Some artists have events around their birthdays and many seem to have concerts in the northern summer.

Other activities I've enjoyed have been visiting museums and galleries / sight-seeing, walking in the country side, train journeys, food, cinemas and one doujin CD fair. Always travelled alone but did have my travel agent's representatives in Tokyo who arranged concert bookings and hotels for me, and collected fan club mailings.
Ahh, how nice! I really want to attend Animelo, and wanted to attend the SUPER KING LIVE (which sadly seemed like a one time thing, but we'll see). Masami Okui is also one of my favorite acts as well, I believe she's been at every Animelo. Thanks for the detailed reply on your methods, so I may have to consider joining fan club. If it's the same one my friend is signed up to for Nana (SC Nana Net), I hear it can be costly since you need Japanese address (so my friend pays agent for Japanese address) on top of the fee they charge for being part of the fan club. But for early bidding, it sounds useful.

Welcome, I love Akiko Shikata too :goodjob: (as you've seen with my avatar)

You has to be in love with Cross Ange' ost, right ? With collaboration of Akiko Shikata and Nana Mizuki on Towagatari -el Ragna- :sohappy:

Thanks, yes I love it. It's funny because all the Nana fans I know absolutely love that song and I keep telling them to check out the genius behind it! I just want more from that combination! I wish she composes for Nana's upcoming album...

welcome to cpm!

kokia <3 did you hear that she's pregant?

one time I think we went to Warren Dunes and swam in Lake Michigan while on vacation... I'm from SC :P
good luck with the JLPT! I started taking Japanese classes at uni, but idk if I'll ever try taking JLPT since it's just a hobby (aka I want to be able to understand YK-related interviews //hit)

do you listen mostly to Kalafina, or YK's other projects/soundtracks as well?
Thank you! I did not hear that!!! I know she lost her partner (also producer?) around the time of the release of Where To Go My Love, and then I heard she was getting married the next year after. I'm so glad for her, she seems like she would make a great mother. There is something maternal about her haha. Maybe because she has many gentle and comforting songs.

Haha and guess where my favorite vacation spot is? Myrtle Beach in SC! You probably hear that a lot haha. I want to go back next summer.

Thanks, and good luck with your classes! I think there's a huge curve with Japanese. You have to be passionate about it and practice regularly, so don't worry and just see how you enjoy it after a year or so. Also, my first Japanese class I hated (the teacher wasn't very encouraging) but I kept going and here I am.

I try to listen to most YK projects! FictionJunction and FictionJunction Yuuka I own albums of and listen to others like See-Saw. And I listen to some that worked with her exclusively in the past, like Ishikawa Chiaki and Oda Kaori. I have some YK soundtracks downloaded but I haven't given them a proper chance yet. I feel like Kalafina is particularly special, though, I don't know how to describe it...like fate, I guess? All four of them (Kalafina and YK) coming together feels very natural.
Ahh very beautiful song. Funnily enough, I wasn't quite into it until I went back and listened to it this year. I'm actually in between #2/#1 but I figured if I'm going to go for it, might as well go big. But yes, there is a big gap .. going from #2 to #1 especially.

Studying Tobira thoroughly will get you around/near N2 level. I don't have any specific recs for study material though because I mainly listen/speak it for practice. sorry :( That is the biggest advice I can give you. However, I was recommended this book (click the onion) :goodjob: and I also know of :goodjob: maybe they will help you.

Thank you for the advice, I believe you are right. I still am not up to the level where I can watch bangumi or any Jdrama without help. I'm working on that right now so I can get to the point where I can learn things I don't know right away by context. I do listening exercises daily though (and that doesn't count J-music). Thanks for your links, I'm checking out renshuu right now :)

And thank you @HimeWakana :)

Thank you! I did not hear that!!! I know she lost her partner (also producer?) around the time of the release of Where To Go My Love, and then I heard she was getting married the next year after. I'm so glad for her, she seems like she would make a great mother. There is something maternal about her haha. Maybe because she has many gentle and comforting songs.
because of that, where to go my love can bring me to tears when I listen to it
mama kokia :P yep, I agree she has a maternal air to her
Haha and guess where my favorite vacation spot is? Myrtle Beach in SC! You probably hear that a lot haha. I want to go back next summer.
oh man Myrtle Beach lol. I think I've been there once and only for part of a day //hit
tho, if you have the time I highly recommend visiting Brookgreen Gardens. Atalaya's pretty cool too
Thanks, and good luck with your classes! I think there's a huge curve with Japanese. You have to be passionate about it and practice regularly, so don't worry and just see how you enjoy it after a year or so. Also, my first Japanese class I hated (the teacher wasn't very encouraging) but I kept going and here I am.
this will be my second year of taking it and I think I'll stick with it. I've enjoyed it so far, and if I take 301&302 those can actually count towards my graduating requirements lol.
I try to listen to most YK projects! FictionJunction and FictionJunction Yuuka I own albums of and listen to others like See-Saw. And I listen to some that worked with her exclusively in the past, like Ishikawa Chiaki and Oda Kaori. I have some YK soundtracks downloaded but I haven't given them a proper chance yet. I feel like Kalafina is particularly special, though, I don't know how to describe it...like fate, I guess? All four of them (Kalafina and YK) coming together feels very natural.
yes, there is a special feeling that comes across from their collaboration, isn't there
I highly suggest her hanako to anne OSTs //biased

Brookgreen Gardens looks beautiful from the photos I'm looking at. It even has a zoo?! Wow. Okay, that's added to my list! hanako to anne is now downloaded, I will give it a try this weekend! It looks like there are three available as of right now, so I'll start in order. Another I have is her SAO OST and I enjoyed that one.

Brookgreen Gardens looks beautiful from the photos I'm looking at. It even has a zoo?! Wow. Okay, that's added to my list! hanako to anne is now downloaded, I will give it a try this weekend! It looks like there are three available as of right now, so I'll start in order. Another I have is her SAO OST and I enjoyed that one.
yeah, it's really a wonderful place. already been twice and wouldn't mind going again

aw yess I hope you enjoy it
lol there are many who see her SAO work as some of her weakest. here, at least

Back