Analyze your song!!

R

ritamordio

Hello everyone. Yuki’s music is inspirational to me. So this is to show people how I listen to music in general. I grew up "studying" music up until college. Unfortunately, I foolishly did not continue to study music even though it became clear that music would be my true passion. When I listen to music, I listen to every detail. I listen to what each and every single instrument is playing. I listen to each rhythm, each melody, and each emotion. I listen to which instruments show up later in the piece and which instruments go away. I listen to chord progressions even though I have not studied much music theory, I do my best to identify chord changes and key changes. I listen to everything.

In the creative corner here in CPM, I will be periodically breaking down songs and presenting them to you all in hopes that you will hear things in music that you would not normally hear. I strongly believe that it will make the music more deep in meaning. If you listen hard, you can truly hear music’s true beauty.

You all are very welcome to post you own analysis if you would like. It does not matter if you are a music major or anything. (I am really not all that knowledgeable) Just break down the song you want to do and walk us through what you hear.

Note : All of these will be long reads (kinda, not really). Just the ones with lots of changes and instruments.

Here is my first one. Enjoy!!

FictionJunction YUUKA - Blessing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XkZKKhEaQ
Please listen in 480p so that the sound is much clearer.

Style - Waltz : Very elegant sounding. Think, “Boom, tah, tah, boom, tah, tah.”

Time Signature - ¾ : 3 beats per measure. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2... And so on.

General Progression - ABCA(Solo#1)BCA(Solo#2)(Solo#3)CA(1)A(2)B : A, B, and C are the main melodies of the song. They may or may not have the exact same melody or instruments, but they typically have the same chord progression. Keep this in mind. I will go into detail in the body. Remember the order listed above and keep them in mind when reading the rest of this.

Analysis :

A (0:00 - 0:21 seconds) -

Instruments : Stings (Plucked), String Basses, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Triangle. The strings (violin and viola) are not played with their bow, but merely plucked. Sort of like a guitar. The basses are not plucking, but playing very short to get the full sound. Vocal 1 will be Yuuka. Vocal 2 will be background.

Rhythms : The string basses and the plucked strings are playing the basic Waltz rhythm. Remember, “Boom, tah, tah, boom, tah, tah.” Triangle is the main source of rhythm and tempo in this part. Listen carefully to the rhythm of the triangle.

Melody : The string basses and the strings are the main driving force for chord progression. Listen to when they change notes. The vocal 1 is the main melody. Vocal 2 is playing the same rhythm as vocal 1, but playing harmony, supporting vocal 1 to make it sound more “whole.”

B (0:21 - 0:43 seconds) -

Instruments : Vocal 1, Piano, Triangle. A new instrument is introduced here, the piano. Vocal 1 is also here along with the triangle.

Rhythms : Piano is providing flowing waltz beats. The triangle is not playing much, but adding to accents to the other 2 instruments.

Melody : Different melody than A, hence this section being called B. The transition to C, listen for a key change. It is quite noticeable.

C (0:43 - 0:56 seconds) -

Instruments : Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Piano, Triangle. Listen carefully to try and hear Vocal 2.

Rhythms : Triangle playing the same rhythm as in A. The piano is playing the “Boom, tah, tah” rhythm heavily. Basically, the same way the stings were in A.

Melody : Vocal 1 is melody and vocal 2 is harmony, listen hard to hear out the 2 vocals separately. The key change is going back to A.

A (0:56 - 1:16 seconds) -

Instruments : Stings (Plucked), String Basses, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Triangle, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Piano. Now, we are back to A. All the instruments from A in the beginning are back along with 3 new instruments: Piano, Snare Drum, and Bass Drum.

Rhythms : Bass Drum playing one hit every 4 measures, listen for it. The Snare Drum has its own rhythm. The piano is playing a very wavy part to cover empty parts from A the first time. Compare the first and second A sections. How are they different? All the instruments are playing the exact same thing as the first time except for the new instruments, of course.

Melody : Again, compare the first A section to this A section. Amazing right? Its still the same chord progression and the same melodies and rhythms, the only thing that was added was 3 instruments. It sounds so much more “rich” and “hearty” this time. Listen carefully to what the piano is playing. It is playing a very prominent part that covers empty ground and giving the song much more life through playing a background part. Again, listen and compare once more. It is amazing what the addition of 1 or 2 instruments can change the entire feeling of the same thing.

Solo # 1 (1:16 - 1:28 seconds) -

Instruments : Piano, Triangle, Wind Chimes. Piano solo, listen and enjoy. Try to hear all 3 instruments separately and see how they work together.

B (1:28 - 1:49 seconds) -

Instruments : Piano, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Accordion. New instrument is introduced here, the accordion. Note when Vocal 2 comes in here.

Rhythms : Piano is sort of playing the same rhythm here. The accordion is playing whole notes most of the time to provide mainly bass.

Melody : Vocal 1 is the main melody. Observe when Vocal 2 comes in. The melody is still the same. The piano is playing the same rhythm, but the notes being played are very different for the most part. Probably because the accordion is playing as well.

C (1:49 - 2:02 seconds) -

Instruments : Triangle, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Piano, Accordion.

Rhythms : The piano is playing a much more flowing style now. It is not playing heavy waltz style. The accordion and piano players‘ foot pedal is. Listen carefully to the foot stomp and the accordion playing the waltz rhythm. The triangle again has its own rhythm.

Melody : Try to listen to Vocal 2 along with vocal with the main melody. How does the addition of the accordion change this part? The piano is more free to play freely and thus making this part really different than the previous C.

A (2:02 - 2:23 seconds) -

Instruments : Stings (Plucked), String Basses, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Triangle, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Piano, Accordion. Listen to this A as a whole. Listen to each part individually. Single them out and listen to them. This is important to listening to music. Try to hear the accordion. Yes, it is playing.

Rhythms : Everything is the same. The accordion has its own thing.

Melody : The addition of the accordion completes the picture. This is section A at its fullest. Compare the first A, the second A, and this A section to each other and see how different they are.

Solo # 2 (2:23 - 2:42 seconds) -

Instruments : Stings (Plucked), String Basses, Triangle, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Piano, accordion. It is the same as the previous A section, but the vocals are removed and the accordion is off into its solo.

Rhythms : Note that technically this is A. All the instruments are playing the same rhythm except for the accordion.

Melody : Same chord progression and key, but the only thing that’s different is that the accordion is the melody. Every thing else is pretty much playing the same thing.

Solo # 3 (2:42 - 3:02 seconds) -

Instruments : Piano, Vocal 2, Accordion. I even though there is clearly more than 1 vocalist, they are in the background, so I grouped them together in Vocal 2. Listen carefully what is playing and note the accordion transition.

C (3:02 - 3:16 seconds) -

Instruments : Vocal 1, Piano, Triangle. The triangle comes in towards the end of C because it is transitioning into A.

Rhythms : Listen to the piano, it is playing a different rhythm. It is not the waltz rhythm, but just something different than in the first C section.

Melody : While Vocal 1 is playing the same melody as in the previous C sections, note the piano. Sounds kind of weird right? It seem to be in a different key than Vocal 1, but it seems to be a compliment to Vocal 1 somehow. It is just Yuki’s magic.

A(1) (3:16 - 3:26 seconds) -

Instruments : String Basses, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Triangle, Piano, Accordion. Notice how the bass and snare drums are missing, as well as the plucked strings. Note the prominence of Vocal 2.

Rhythms: The only instruments that has changed is the Piano. The piano has taken the place of the plucked strings and is plying the waltz rhythm.

Melody : The vocal 1 seems to stop to let vocal 2 take care of the transition into A(2).

A(2) (3:26 - 3:54 seconds) -

Instruments : Stings (Plucked), String Basses, Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Triangle, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Piano, Accordion. All the instruments are back. The only change is that the transition is changed because the song is ending.

B (3:54 - End) -

Instruments : Vocal 1, Piano, Jingle Bells. It is the end of the song. It is the modified B section to finish this song off.

Thanks Rita! Though it is too complicated for me, it was very interesting to read! :goodjob:

I never viewed Blessing as a waltz.... I shall read upon this now!!!

Whoa! there. This is quite the analyzing. I'll make sure to read the rest and probably analyze my type of songs. Good Job! :sohappy:

wuah! Ö______Ö
really cool the read it :idol:
but like moichi said, complicated stuff in english :uh..:

question: are you a pro musician? :ayashii:

Re:

philadelphin said:
wuah! Ö______Ö
really cool the read it :idol:
but like moichi said, complicated stuff in english :uh..:

question: are you a pro musician? :ayashii:

No. I just have a passion for it. I barely learned any 'Real' music theory while in High School. My teacher tried, but the students really did not care much. The teacher got frustrated and gave up teaching even the most basic of music theory. After that, I lost all interest in learning theory. I do the best I can. I am no pro.

To be honest, I am just stating that in "Blessing" there is a very cool way Yuki tinkers with the instruments in this song.

All of my friends told me that they honestly did not know "this" and "that" happened in the song.

In my experience, a lot of people miss the simple things in music. I just want people to try and hear more so that they can truly hear what makes great music different from decent music.

For example, the Triangle. If I were to tell people that I play the Triangle, I would bet that 10/10 people would probably laugh. "Ohh, that guy plays the Triangle... what a loser." or "haha what a worthless instrument." But listen!!! Hear "YUUKA - Blessing" again. The Triangle has such a beautiful part. It is parts like those that easily get overlooked.

That is exactly why I love Yuki's music. Her music reminds me of what instruments really are. In fact, it was just recently that Yuki reminded me that the human voice is the ultimate instrument. The voice is not just some half-naked figure that makes the band look "good" because he/she is sexually attractive. It is much more than that.

As an instrument, the voice is the parent. All other instruments is its offspring. Every instrument made was to imitate the human voice (which is a very beautiful thing).

(OMG I am really sorry. I got carried away. I will try to calm down. :cry: )

Edit: It's almost 5 AM, no wonder I'm all weird right now :blood:

I like how you explain it :sparkleguy:

I mean, I like such thing (sometimes I do it unconsciously) but I can't write it down like this :desksweat:

Re:

george1234 said:
Really interesting, even though there are things I dont understand :dote:

Can one of the next songs you will analyse to be Shinkai no Kodoku ? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3k1xc5 ... 1&index=10)
Its one of my favourite Yuki songs :plz:

ps: Its from Gundam Seed Destiny

Will do!

Yeah, I understand a lot of it people will not understand some of the things I say, but maybe it will grow on you all in time, I can answer questions if you are unclear. I will try to answer correctly and clearly.

Details to the very finest,excellently well done.

Though you claim to not have advanced music theory,it shows that you have a vast knowledge about music.

A little note for you:when a violin or viola is played by plucking its strings the term for that style is pizzicato.

Currently working on george1234's request. I am also going to do FictionJunction Yuuka - Daremo Inai Basho next.

I will upload the songs through YouTube on my channel (Look at the link on my frist thing) in as high of a quality as possible so that the song is as clear as day.

P.S. Umm I have lots of "other" vids on my channel relating to World Of Warcraft. You are welcome to watch, but it is... umm very weird and quite embarrassing actually. I do have some cover vids on some songs, but they are verrrrry bad. My mic is horrible and it is just garbage.

Re: Re:

tsubasa said:
ritamordio said:
Currently working on george1234's request. I am also going to do FictionJunction Yuuka - Daremo Inai Basho next.
can you include "Shizuka na Kotoba?" :plz:

I should be able to get that soon. almost done with these 2.

It takes me some time because some instruments / sounds I am not really familiar with yet. I am not familiar with most string instruments. Same with percussion. I am well adept with wind instruments though.

It is amazing that you're able to hear all that, Rita! I have two questions to ask and I think you might be able to help! (Actually probably many other members will know as well but I never asked before, might as well ask now that we're having this discussion.) It's been bugging me for awhile...

1) What instrument plays the main melody in "Strangers"? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaG1SleCuRA) I'm guessing it is oboe...but I just gotta make sure!

2) Same question for the song "Together" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRhN7uaKIuc). What is the instrument that begins to play at around 0:11?

Thanks!

Re:

silverywhite said:
It is amazing that you're able to hear all that, Rita! I have two questions to ask and I think you might be able to help! (Actually probably many other members will know as well but I never asked before, might as well ask now that we're having this discussion.) It's been bugging me for awhile...

1) What instrument plays the main melody in "Strangers"? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaG1SleCuRA) I'm guessing it is oboe...but I just gotta make sure!

2) Same question for the song "Together" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRhN7uaKIuc). What is the instrument that begins to play at around 0:11?

Thanks!

yup! sounds like Oboe to me.

The second song... hmm I have heard that kind of instrument in other songs. I believe it belongs to a family of pan flutes. To be honest, it sounds like a pan flute that is in the memory banks of a keyboard. It doesnt sound like , to me anyway, that an actual person is playing the instrument, but a keyboard player playing it.

Back