Forum & Chat & Main Site Complaint Thread 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could there be a separate pinned thread for chat issues please, since the forum thread gets locked and replace with major forum updates?

As of the start of this thread, I'm no longer doing this - as complaints about chat had died down somewhat. This will be the complaint thread for the foreseeable future.

We just had a mass chat disconnection, and when attempting to reconnect I had a few tries that resulted in "Status: 2" messages, and when finally connected saw some chat text from 5 days ago.

Apparently we ran out of disk space due to some oversized access logs on the chat server ... 5 days ago, maybe? I am actually quite surprised it kept working. This did not effect any other cpme sites, though it did effect some of the other sites I host.

Logs have been cleared out and the server restarted. Chat should be stable as of writing.

For chat, I noticed that in a /me line, strike-out, underline and bold showed:

-strike-out text-
+underlined text+
*bold text*

rather than actual strike-out, underline, and bold.

Made an attempt at fixing this tonight, was working for me but not for others. Hmm.

Chat is doing bold, underline, itallic and strike-out when it shouldn't:

*bold*
-strike-out-
_italic_

Code:
[b]bold[/b]
[u]underline[/u]
[s]strike-out[/s]
[i]italic[/i]

are working correctly.

Found the server had also stalled security updates. Among other things.

Since there have been complaints with openfire as a chat server, I've tried configuring ejabberd - more options, less hacky, not as easy to configure. I'll expect some complaints, but it's enough to chat for now.

Found the server had also stalled security updates. Among other things.

Since there have been complaints with openfire as a chat server, I've tried configuring ejabberd - more options, less hacky, not as easy to configure. I'll expect some complaints, but it's enough to chat for now.

Thanks for the work so far,

/me commands

are now working properly again.

Is there anything that can be done to stop:

-strike-
*bold*
_italic_

causing those effects, but leaving the option of the longer form commands that aren't accidentally triggered?

Code:
[s]strike[/s]
[b]bold[/b]
[u]underline[/u]
[i]italic[/i]

Just noticed that when reading the forum and there are unread messages, both clicking on the round dot at the live and the thread title takes you to the first unread message, when clicking on the thread title should take one to the first message in the thread.

Thanks for the work so far,

/me commands

are now working properly again.

Is there anything that can be done to stop:

-strike-
*bold*
_italic_

causing those effects, but leaving the option of the longer form commands that aren't accidentally triggered?

Code:
[s]strike[/s]
[b]bold[/b]
[u]underline[/u]
[i]italic[/i]

Done. Also got persistence working, and joining rooms. (given up on db)

Just noticed that when reading the forum and there are unread messages, both clicking on the round dot at the live and the thread title takes you to the first unread message, when clicking on the thread title should take one to the first message in the thread.

Can't reproduce. Dot goes to unread, title goes to 1st post, in /forums/ view.

Can't reproduce. Dot goes to unread, title goes to 1st post, in /forums/ view.

Thanks again!

I've found the workaround: although both dot and title going to first unread post, date of first post takes you to the first post.

Something is weird about the Japanese fonts on Firefox (Linux), they look half-unreadable, see screenshot. On Chromium they look fine, but it's a hassle to switch to Chromium and install Rikaichan :D
bad_kanji.png

@Sudrien and @yuki.n it looks similar for me on iceweasel 43.0.4 (unbranded Firefox) on Debian GNU/Linux.

Xenforo seems to dictate font choices more than phpBB did, and I don't know why the the quoted OCR'd scans are showing up as smaller than latin text and as italic. (It looks similar for me on chromium 47.0.2526.80 (unbranded Chrome) on Debian GNU/Linux.

It seems to be the combination of a serif font and italics that causes them to look so bad. Especially serif.

Also, if searching for text in messages, the search function includes signature text in what it searches for, so if someone mentions an artist name in their signature and you're searching for that artist name, you get a lot of false matches.

@yuki.n , @Kugayama

The font list for xenforo is only

Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif​

... while the font list for the main site is

Arial,sans-serif​

I could convert the forum to all sans-serif fonts, but that seems a little extreme.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@font-face/unicode-range seems quite interesting for setting the font for only Japanese characters. Will try that now.

Test text: 情報の伝達に齟齬が発生するかもしれない。でも、聞いて。

Last edited:
Also, if searching for text in messages, the search function includes signature text in what it searches for, so if someone mentions an artist name in their signature and you're searching for that artist name, you get a lot of false matches.

I'm not finding configuration options for that. the "More..." leading to advanced search may get you what you want.

I'm not finding configuration options for that. the "More..." leading to advanced search may get you what you want.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but from the top level of the forum I tried searching for See-Saw and found no matches /-:

Can you verify if a search for See-Saw on the forum works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back