Yuki Kajiura LIVE vol.#9

Re:

salva nos again?!? >:( Oh, with Kasahara! :D

george1234 said:
^ The problem is that she sings 3 songs in the anime (2 by herself) XD viewtopic.php?p=206118#p206118
My bet is for the last song (ep9). The music of the chase has not kajiurago, lol.
Btw, "SAO M33"? Yuki didn't name the songs yet?? Bad omen...

Alrigh, sorry to break the flow of the conversation, but here are my belated impressions about Day 1 :ohoho: But this is just imho :innocent:

Wakana: she was flat a lot of time, and sounded weak throughtout the whole thing. It was like she couldn't pass half the volume she once could. During the first MC, while Kajiura was speaking, she reached for her thorat and made a face like she was feeling something wrong with it. She also sounded kinda weak and shaky in Mizu no Akashi.

Keiko: she should train more her voice placement. The verse that comes after the violin solo in Kaze no Machi e sounded like a radio with a bad contact on the volume knob, and it wasn't the only time she messed up the volume. She also seems to be tending to reach for a more "cutesy" voice, sometimes, rather than just sticking to the deep one. Argh! :blood:

Yuriko: she started just ok, but seemed to evolve through the concert, and from the half she started nailing her high falsettos perfectly. Her final Kajiurago in Hikari no Yukue was beautiful :nosebleed: What is she doing amongs those young punks? :ohoho: /me is kicked

Kaori: she was good throughout the concert; had some weak moments, but overall she did pretty good. She was really audible, what was good in synchronicity, where her background was totally perceivable, but also bad when she kinda shouted in some moments. And when she called on the audience to sing everlasting song, she went off! lol (fanboy note: but she looked hot :nosebleed: )

Kajiura: well, guess she missed one or two chords. And what was that idea of having a guitar chord at the end of Houseki? Not to mention that Korenaga hitted a strange chord. She should have kept it only piano. And, to me, her stone cold was really a playback, because everytime her phrases are ending, she stops singing, moves the mic away, and the voice still comes. Why, Kajiura? Fail :XD: And, for those who don't believe, remember that Japanese lives are full of playbacked stuff.

Kyo-sama: this concert made my preference for Masuke grow. I don't really hate Kyo-sama; when he wants, he delivers a powerful drumming, and gives real punch to the songs. But when he's not up to it, all I can hear are cymbals. Cymbals and cymbals all along. Also, he tend to just keep the same beat, without conductin the song through its dynamics. Ah, I don't even know if this makes sense. Bloody language barrier :desksweat:

Hitoshi Konno: I never liked him, but he was really bland in this concert. Seemed like he didn't know exactly what to play. Wonder if his sheet was badly printed :XD: He screwed up synchronicity and Hoshikuzu.

Korenaga: did nice, although he too seemed lost in some moments, like during the piano solo in dream scape. Nice harmonized solo in Himitsu, but maybe it was too long. And crazy improvisation on stone cold to fire things up a little. But what was that all in Hoshikuzu? But nice blues on Distance lol.

Jr.: guess he didn't stand out too much, this time. Maybe he wasn't on a mood to make all those cool melodies. But he did just fine. Just didn't like that ascending scale he did for all the outros.

Ohira: it seems he suffers a bit to mix four voices. When all were singing together, it was messy and he didn't help :/ Also, as Mhlwlr said, the instruments were kinda burried.

The audience: have to say, some guy was incredibly off in the "en-co-reee" crowd :XD:

I have a personal impression about this live, that it just wasn't a good day. I know, someone may say that the utahimes are always like that, alright; but to me, even the band wasn't so sharp. All in all, it was great to finally see FJ raw. Surely some of the best $25 bucks I've ever spent, even though the song I most wanted to see covered by FJ (Sayonara Solitaire) got all f*cked up. I could see the real human girls they are, and not the studio magixed goddesses. And I still love them - but I'm pretty sure they can do better :) Please, more Ustream releases :TdT:

The thing I love the best in this live was the girls' chants in Himitsu :dote:

Seconded with the more streams. I might not have been able to afford it this time thanks to Amazon Prime, but surely next time...

^For 25 bucks, I would afford every concert of them! That's not even 1/8 of what a ticket for a real live would cost me here :ohoho:

Just watched Distance and Hikari no Yukue. I think what I loved most about distance is Keiko's part actually. And Wakana did really well I thought even on the higher notes. Is it me though or was someone a bit too high in the harmonies? I am not very good at harmonizing, but it still sounded a bit off to me.

And in Hikari, I did notice Wakana struggling a little. But it is a long concert, I would be too. I wish it had been a little more powerful, since that is what the song is to me. Now to watch others. :dote: Oh and I loved Yuki's hand swaying in Distance. I think she did that in the last live too, but not this much. heh

Also watched Kaze no Machi e and eternal blue. Kaze: I thought was really good. I don't think Keiko was too far off the original, and it is hard to recreate something I guess. And I. want. to. marry Konno! His violin was amazing, as always. If I could have just an ounce of the ability. Eternal Blue was okay. Parts of it still sounded so high. But Wakana did great at the bridge after the instrumental. Konno again! :nosebleed:

IMHO the best performance was stone cold :sohappy:

I'm actually excited to watch hikari no yukue and kaze no machi he but they failed in recreating the studio version... as wakana (in hikari no yukue) didn't sound really strong for a music used in a shonen anime... and keiko didn't sound like a sister singing a lullaby in kaze no machi he (quote and unquote)... also goes for sayonara solitia

but it was a pretty enjoyable concert :D

Oh I wish REMI would also be invited as a guest vocalist in the next live performances :ohoho:

thanks for everyone who recorded/uploaded the live :chuu:
I have to say, Kaze no Machi e is probably my favourite...and this is the first time it's shown up on a setlist that has somehow been published, right?
I don't care if there are not-so-great parts, but just that raw power in Keiko's voice...:TdT:
also, synchronicity was almost on-par with vol 4...ah, I just adore that song live :shy:
Hikari no Yukue :stars: is this the first time Wakana's sung it live with no lip synch? :ayashii: not bad
this was the first time I heard sayonara solita :XD: but I think I'm going to look up the original now
overall, I thought this was a pretty good live...despite Wakana's obvious difficulties :cry: the other girls had some troubles too, but I think it's kinda impossible to always hit all the right notes or remember the correct lyrics etc sometimes can you imagine how many songs they have to remember? :o
on a random note, I loved the checker-board stage :XD:

Eh, it seems I'm the only one who enjoys Kaze no Machi e live more. Although I agree that her voice is sometimes too loud, she managed to sing it all on-key and on the right notes. And I don't really love Keiko's voice in the recording version of Kaze no Machi e.

Overall thoughts :

Wakana... I don't know. Almost all of her starting and ending notes are shaky. Sometimes too flat. She forgot the lyrics in eternal blue.

Yuriko is awesome. But I think that her higher harmony in stone cold is somewhat disturbing, because it overpowers the main vocal (at least I hear it so with my earbuds). I think that the higher harmony in stone cold should be cut out some more. Still, Himitsu is the best part of the concert, imo.

Kaori... I agree with grunty on Kaori. She screwed up when she gets too into it. Her part in stone cold after the guitar solo is terrible for me. And most of her lower harmony is too loud. Just like Yuriko, some of her harmonies should just get cut out. It made the song too full, and not in a good effect. Most of her lower harmony is shaky, too. She forgot her lyrics in synchronicity.

Keiko restored my faith in her in this concert. She can still sing with her soft-gentle voice. And her harmony in "iya iya iya" in Sayonara Solitaire is love. Her voice in the beginning of Sayonara Solitaire is weird, but it gets better as the song continues. I totally love her harmony in Himitsu and Hikari no Yukue. Her voice in the last part of Hikari no Yukue... :shy: :nosebleed: The bad part is she forgot her lyrics in synchronicity.

Overall utahimes ranking : Yuriko - Keiko - Kaori - Wakana

Best songs : Himitsu, Kaze no Machi e, sayonara solitaire, eternal blue

disappointment : Mizu no Akashi, stone cold, synchronicity.

I have to say that synchronicity is my biggest disappointment. This version was so less badass, even less than the recording, although this version is somewhat "hotter" or "sexier" than the live vol.4 version, especially with the way Keiko sang it. Kyo-san drumming is the biggest disappointment in this one, though. What's with all that cymbals? Nozaki's much more better. But this "synchronicity" is seductive in its own way :ohoho: :XD: maybe they performed synchronicity this way because it was performed so later in the concert, when both Keiko and Kaori already lose their stamina. I prefer badass synchronicity to seductive synchronicity, so...

@aero : I agree on Kyo-sama, you've said what I've wanted too say. Anyway, I always prefer Masuke drumming since I hear his performance in Live vol.4. His drumming has more dynamics. I totally agree with your "cymbals and cymbals and cymbals", lol. Not to mention Kyo-sama somewhat screwed up red moon in Kala's AE concert. Btw, besides Sayonara Solitaire, I don't find any song where Keiko tries to sound cutesy..

Great....payable livestream during the time that I was moving to the new house and didn't update anything.... (Thanks for the one who recorded it...may give some review when I finish it... Hikari no Yukue is one of my favourite FJ song though...)

And the setlist of Day2&3... OMG....Eri+Yuri+Hanae.....and so many of my beloved songs from them...!!!! Ok...dear Flying Dog....I already got TA job for the next semester...please release the DVD and bring my money....Plzzzz........ :comeback:

About Kyoichi Sato's drumming in this live, remember that what you've heard is completely raw off of a live-stream.

The volume 4 Synchronicity, for example, is off a DVD. The drums will have had a proper mix to tighten the sound and to make them as big as possible. Listen to how huge those drums sound and how placed each individual part of the kit is. That isn't just down to his playing - The drums have been mixed for the DVD sound. Listen to how prominent the bass is in general on that version. It's far punchier and prominent that volume 9s live. The Hi-Hat is present in both versions - One is just better mixed than the other. Kyoichi's drums usually have that similar "huge" sound to them.

Also, I don't think that it really matters that he made a few mistakes in Red Moon/AE. Playing an instrument is just as hard as singing but we are happy to let the singers get away with murder sometimes.

:plot:

Re:

ritardando said:
@aero : I agree on Kyo-sama, you've said what I've wanted too say. Anyway, I always prefer Masuke drumming since I hear his performance in Live vol.4. His drumming has more dynamics. I totally agree with your "cymbals and cymbals and cymbals", lol. Not to mention Kyo-sama somewhat screwed up red moon in Kala's AE concert. Btw, besides Sayonara Solitaire, I don't find any song where Keiko tries to sound cutesy..

About Kyo-sama: seconded. I started preferring Masuke over Kyo-sama after listening to sprinter in RM Live. Masuke has more dynamics and more punch. In RM Live, Kyo-sama made red moon and fantasia sound somehow slower, even though they're played to beat - and yet, he rocked the sh*t out of progressive. So I'd stick to Masuke, because I know he will jsut rock everything lol About Keiko and the cutesy, she had some of those moments in dream scape, like her very last "sit-ting in the silence" (and some other moments, but that's the one that's on my mind). Check out how she sings that line and the way she looks to the crowd - it's not tottaly cutesy, but you can see that she is tending to it. Or at least I can - damn subjectivity :ohoho: :XD:

Mwhlr said:
About Kyoichi Sato's drumming in this live, remember that what you've heard is completely raw off of a live-stream.

Yes, I have that in mind, but I guess I just answered to this when quoting ritardando. I get the same feeling from his drumming even from magixed releases. Cymbals and cymabals, lol.

Mwhlr said:
Playing an instrument is just as hard as singing but we are happy to let the singers get away with murder sometimes.

:plot:

Could never disagree to you in this one! :psst:

I never watched the anime that "sayonara solitaire" was from... Can someone tell me what the song is about IN THE ANIME?

Re:

Loving.Keiko.Kubota said:
I never watched the anime that "sayonara solitaire" was from... Can someone tell me what the song is about IN THE ANIME?

I believe it is the ending theme for Chrono Crussade ,orginally sung by Saeko Chiba

One thing I didn't mention was how gutted I was that the tracklist didn't include neither nohara nor toki no mukou ni :uh..: :uh..: :uh..: :uh..: WHY?!!!!!!

^About the setlist, I would surely put Toki no Mukou in it, and probably trade Houseki for Nohara. I would kick everlasting song out, since I was never so fond of it, and it's best part is the Kajiurago intro, which was cut off. Guess I would also cut Sayonara Solitaire if I knew beofrehand that it would come out like that lol

Back