Spring 2014 anime season

mahou shoujo taisen is the one for me fo shooooo. it's like kancolle except with cities. and no online card game. OTL
and i can't forget myself some delicious jojo ;A;
might pick up gochuumon wa usagi desu ka, even though i'll probably drop it within 3-4 episodes...
i think that akuma no riddle will crash badly because it's overly ambitious.... but i might still watch the first few episodes :punched:
also eff yes hyperdimension neptune OVA is finally here. as well as the missing battle from Girls Und Panzer :cheer:
may or may not also watch the mitsuwano OVA.

too bad i dropped tamako, sobsob. but hm should i also check out dat precure crossover movie....? lol watch me only get through one series/OVA. :imdead:

Hooray for new Fairy Tail series, but it means that I have a lot of its old episodes to catch up on... sigh.
Initial picks for the upcoming season include Gokukoku no Brynhildr, the Mahoula Koukou, and perhaps Black Bullet.

Magica Wars and One Week Friends are the new shows of the season I'm interested in. I might check out Dragonar Academy because it's made by the last remninets of Bee Train staff members working in a new studio but it looks like your typical fanservice pandering show so not expecting much from that show.

Mushishi and Jojo started their new seasons earlier today. They air in back-to-back slots, Crunchyroll is streaming (though not simulcasting I think) both of them, and they are really good.

Mushishi is a perfect return to form. It's like they pulled the staff of the original series out of time and put them back to make this season. They don't have the original opening song, but the new one captures the tone excellently. Mushishi will continue to be an incredibly pretty and chill series, I have zero doubts about it.

Jojo is another sure bet; same team as the '12-'13 series with a much bigger budget. That had style, but this has the animation quality to back it up. It's also adapting part 3 of the manga, one of the most popular segments. The first episode was technically pretty impressive but largely set-up; it also skipped the OP and ED for more runtime, so we don't know if they got Roundabout again.

^ Good for those anime. I have no prior knowledge of those two though, so I can't say if they are good or not.

Now most of those who posted here said they will watch Brynhildr and Mahouka Koukou/Irregular. What were your thoughts?

As for the Irregular at magic high school, it really bothers me as to how the people there want to show the divide between the students. Those "red-flag" moments between the Kirito-ish MC and imouto are unsettling also. I may try to stick along, even though if the first episode is really not that grand of an opening. I did not like LiSA's song right away, it might take some time for me to love it or confirm that I don't like it all.

Now for Gokukoku, it was a decent introductory episode, and I got amused on that "times table" moment and the subsequent arm wrestling test. One of the genres for this anime is harem, so more *facepalm* fan service will go ahead. I won't be expecting much more aside from the development between the guy and the neko.

hmm not like I should be starting new series now but mahou shoujo taisen, fuun ishin dai shogun, and akuma no riddle caught my attention AND IN THE PIC FOR THE NEW DC MOVIE OMG MAI LOVEEEEEE

I have just watched Black Bullet, and it looks like I will add it to my watchlist this season, despite the somewhat average introductory episode.

The setting of the anime is like Attack on Titan on modern world, not to mention that the fast opening song ala Accel World OP has those choral feels that are also found on AoT's openings (performed by fripSide, so I am more or less satisfied too). There are certain elements in there that I don't like though, but I guess the story and plot can make it up for it.

Now most of those who posted here said they will watch Brynhildr and Mahouka Koukou/Irregular. What were your thoughts?

Mahouka is hot garbage with a protagonist who is somehow simultaneously the best and the plucky underdog, godawful incest junk (oneesama, jesus) and some of the most boringly presented exposition since the first episode of Fate/Zero. Plus the colour palette is really bland. Apparently the novels are even worse and add in some nationalist wankery.

I haven't even tried Brynhildr but it's by all reports painfully generic, and the source material is by an author who managed to make a sports manga about skiing really skeevy and creepy.

Anyway, about actually good animes:

Ping Pong the Animation is a weird, kinda artsy thing with amazing animation and an ugly artstyle. Like Aku no Hana/Flowers of Evil a couple years ago, almost nobody is going to watch it; in this case, the audience is going to be almost exclusively animation nerds. Other than that it's a sports anime, not much I can really say about it, especially this early. Props for having a Chinese character who thinks and speaks in Mandarin, voiced by somebody who actually speaks it.

I checked out Harmonie, a short from this year's Anime Mirai project, and thought it was really good. It's only 25ish minutes, I'm not sure how to describe it without spoiling it, even the official synopsis is ridiculously vague. Like all Anime Mirai projects it's absolutely gorgeous and well-animated, though the animation isn't as eyecatching as Little Witch Academia or Wasurenagumo.

So, as usual, another season where I wasn't really looking forward to much turned out to be pretty damn good. Also, season of GOOD sports animu. Like whoa. That's why I felt like bumping. I've seen just about every subbed first episode of the season (sans sequels) and here's what I ended up following past ep2 (alphabetically):

Baby Steps (charming, hope it picks up from the quality drop in the second half of ep3 though)
Captain Earth (Mahou Shoujo Akari-chan FTW) dropped after ep6
Haikyuu!! (great production values and great characters, except those 2 new asshats)
Hitsugi no Chaika (great production values again and promising fantasy setting IMHO) dropped after #7
Jojo (yay, such a shitty opening compared to first series though :/) waiting to marathon
Kamigami no Asobi ~Ludere deorum~ (kinda lost me on ep3 so most likely dropped) dropped after ep4
Mushishi (no comment)
No Game No Life (amazeballs, I swear that was some Nerr2Babe patched swoon.exe in ep3)
Ping Pong (that coach in ep2... dat coach...)

That's a whole fucking lot of shows for me. I follow one anime per season til the end usually (and very occasionally marathon one or two more once they are done). Here's hoping I end up finishing more than 1 of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Selector Infected WIXOSS-Actually pretty good. Despite some Madoka-esque themes the series really doesn't feel like it's trying to hard to be Madoka. Not entirely original but well entertaining enough makes it a worthy watch. Sort of Black Rock Shooter, meets Yu-Gi-Oh, Meets Angelic Layer, Meets Madoka Magica.

One Week Friends - Sweet romcom-drama that will tug at your heart strings a bit. I think this will be a great series.

Dragonar Academy - At worst I thought this would be a mediocre fantasy with a bunch of harem cliches. Oh lord not only is it the most cliche ridden series in years, it doesn't have a shred of creativity behind it, it feels like it's a photocopy of other cliched harem series. Tentacle rape in the third episode made me rage quit. This is a sorry excuse of non-celluloid animation. Lazily written, this is the worst by far all season. I know why I typically avoid these shows to begin with.

Back